Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

Phastek Performance

Old 07-29-2022, 08:43 AM   #1
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
Post 8000 RPM LT4, inside a Katech powered ZL1

Good Morning everyone and happy friday! My name is Zach and I am an engineer over at Katech in Clinton Township, MI. If you don't know who Katech is, we are one of the premier performance engine and vehicle builders that have been in the industry for more than 40 years. Our roots are deep with Corvette Racing, a majority of our innovation comes from our experience developing race engines with GM.

I am in the engineering department and also do a lot of work with our vehicle shop. My goal when working with customers is to make sure they understand the type of package they are getting into, and it meets all of their expectations upon pickup.

With that said, we do a lot of cool development work in the shadows to ensure we are competing with the best of the best in this exponentially growing industry. I purchased a 2018 ZL1 1LE personally with the original goal to make it our version of a gen 6 Z/28. Take the LT4 out, put a dry-sumped naturally aspirated 427 in, and let it rip on the track. After driving the supercharged motor on track and overlaying some dyno data between a few of our engine packages, I determined that I will save that project for another vehicle because this car had to stay with a supercharged engine.

I set the new goal to develop a high-rpm package with a relatively stock engine that could be used for multiple applications. The new target was making 800whp at 8000 RPM. In this thread, I plan on posting the engineering behind what it takes to do something like this, the contents of this package, and the results it produced.

To start, here is a picture of the car when I first purchased it. I bought this from a former road racing form member Mark of W2W racing. It had 3500 miles on it from a dedicated life at COTA. It was gutted with AP racing brakes, a cool suit chiller, a trunk meth tank, and some mild bolt-on/exhaust work. My first project for the car was reverting this back to stock with the interior, trunk, and fueling modifications. I removed the meth system, I reinstalled all of the factory interior, and put the stock brakes (for the time being) back onto the vehicle. Afterwards, I had our calibrator tune the vehicle and it made a stout 600rwhp with the only modifications being a rotofab intake, ARH headers, and Borla S-Type exhaust.

I will continue to update this post with discussion topics, results, and finding as I get the time. This car is levels better than my 5th gen, and I can't wait to get out to some events with all of you
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 08:57 AM   #2
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Cool.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 09:36 AM   #3
BLACK21SS
Oldman w/a teenager brain

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
I’m in for all the updates you want to post OP. Can’t wait to see the finished car.
BLACK21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 09:39 AM   #4
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Subscribed
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 10:30 AM   #5
Katech_Zach

Good Morning guys, happy monday! The first step to doing any of these types of projects is having a good cup of coffee and getting right into the teardown process. Here are some pictures of the car when we pulled the engine.

Whenever doing any work involving tearing into the stock shortblock (any sort of cover, oil pan, etc), we highly suggest pulling the engine. These engines are glued together with RTV unlike their older LS siblings. The issue with this is that it is very difficult to get the engine to reseal properly without thoroughly cleaning everything before reassembly. When you pull these apart in the car, it is an oily mess that almost guarantees you to have oil leaks during the reassembly process.

Another issue is with the large single bolt camshaft. You are suppose to brace the back of the camshaft when torqueing this bolt. If you do this in the car, you are putting all of that torque through the timing chain. Doing so makes you at risk of having a timing chain failure even when you have a stronger aftermarket chain like our C5R chain.

Vehicle on the hoist

Rough disassembly

Front bumper off, further disassembly

Engine on the lift table

LT4 longblock on an engine stand
Old 08-02-2022, 03:46 PM   #6
Katech_Zach

Good Afternoon guys,

Here are some pictures from the teardown. For this build, this involved getting the engine down to a bare block. The only modification that I plan on doing to the shortblock is adding ARP connecting rod bolts to the factory rods. We have tested the factory rotating assembly to nearly 1500HP around 7000rpm, somewhere between 1300 and 1500 we began to bend rods. I am adding ARP connecting rod bolts to ensure that the factory rod bolts do not break when spinning this engine at 8000 RPM. I am testing no-mans land on this stock bottom end, so I would not take this as "Katech's signoff to spin the SBE to 8000 RPM w/ ARP Rod Bolts", but take it as "This is what Katech's engineer Zach is doing in his personal project car"

Supercharger Off

Factory Valvetrain

Cylinder Heads Off

Piston/Rod Assembly Removal

Piston/Rod Assembly Removal

Last edited by Katech_Zach; 08-03-2022 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:00 PM   #7
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Following! Love this thread
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:22 PM   #8
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
Good Afternoon guys,

....The only modification that I plan on doing to the shortblock is adding ARP connecting rod bolts to the factory rods......I am adding ARP connecting rods to ensure that the factory rod bolts do not break when spinning this engine at 8000 RPM. [/url]
Hey Zach! Following this thread too.

So did I read this right or wrong? ARP connecting bolts only? Further down you mentioned adding ARP connecting rods.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:27 AM   #9
Katech_Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
Hey Zach! Following this thread too.

So did I read this right or wrong? ARP connecting bolts only? Further down you mentioned adding ARP connecting rods.
Mistype, good catch! I edited it, It is only ARP connecting rod bolts
Old 08-03-2022, 08:47 AM   #10
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
I am so stoked for this build!!

Ken
khcoaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:21 AM   #11
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Mistype, good catch! I edited it, It is only ARP connecting rod bolts
Watching this with great interest Zach. I myself am having a BLAST road racing my LME 416 NA SS 1LE HYBRID. As a matter of fact I call it my 2019 Z28. The ONLY time it went into REDUCED POWER mode is when I broke an AC belt and it tore a wiring harness off the front of the engine. Water temps even at 105 degrees outside down here and 30 minute sessions NEVER gets about 10 degrees warmer than normal.
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 12:52 PM   #12
Katech_Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoaching View Post
I am so stoked for this build!!

Ken
It will rip, thats for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
Watching this with great interest Zach. I myself am having a BLAST road racing my LME 416 NA SS 1LE HYBRID. As a matter of fact I call it my 2019 Z28. The ONLY time it went into REDUCED POWER mode is when I broke an AC belt and it tore a wiring harness off the front of the engine. Water temps even at 105 degrees outside down here and 30 minute sessions NEVER gets about 10 degrees warmer than normal.
AC belt breaking is no fun! by any chance was the AC accidentally engaged while racing? or was it turned off the entire time? Very cool build. I will eventually build a Z/28 spec build when the time is right
Old 08-03-2022, 03:42 PM   #13
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Very interested in this one, thx for posting Zach
Old 08-03-2022, 06:10 PM   #14
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
It will rip, thats for sure

AC belt breaking is no fun! by any chance was the AC accidentally engaged while racing? or was it turned off the entire time? Very cool build. I will eventually build a Z/28 spec build when the time is right
On the stock cars, the AC automatically turns off under power demands, like racing. Many cars/manufacturers are doing this these days.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
katech, lt4, performance