Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #15
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
The supercharger in our '10 Audi S4 is silent. When you drive a car everyday, that's appreciated.

Sounds like the ZL1 will give the gear heads enough of what they want in terms of noise.

So long as it isn't like those supercharged 3.8's (L67?). Some of 'em you can't tell if the power steering pump has gone kaput, if that's just the supercharger, or if someone is skinning a cat.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:43 AM   #16
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
A lot of the quiteness of the Eaton under the hood of the ZL1 is due to the fact that its got 4 lobes (instead of the normal 3) and that the Camaro is a pretty quiet car to start with. It can still be heard because its a roots-type/lobe based design instead of a screw-type unit which are known to be very quiet
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #17
SteveRS

Drives: 2010 SIM Cobalt SS
Send a message via AIM to SteveRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
manymanymany discussions about the whine.....we listened to many other supercharged cars - some are annoying - some are nearly silent.

The ZL1 whine isn't annoying - you'll hear it under certain conditions - and i think most will be happy with it.

.......and oh that wonderful exhaust .......

Im Still curious if said exhaust will bolt up and run with a regular SS.. i.e.... MINE lol
Old 03-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #18
tpower
DBLCHBY III

Drives: 15 1LE
Damn I want to hear the supercharger whine and everyone around me
Old 03-04-2012, 12:41 AM   #19
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Drives: A Car
To each his/her own on supercharger whine. I love the whine and was dissapointed when the TVS came out that it quieter than the GEN V. The TVS series 160 degree twist, four lobe design, and other features allow it to be quieter. First made it debut on the ZR1 in OEM and you can get the same rotor design from Magnusson. I've heard pullied TVS's and they can get louder, also some add cogs to get them louder also.
GM4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #20
Oneslowz28
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1265
I got to drive a CTS-V you can hear the SC on heavy accel, IMO its one of the sweetest sounds
Oneslowz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #21
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ********** View Post
I got to drive a CTS-V you can hear the SC on heavy accel, IMO its one of the sweetest sounds
If the supercharger on the ZL1 sounds like the CTS-V then it's definitely on the mild side for whine. However, as mentioned above a CAI and different pulley can change that. Personally I love to hear the exhaust over the SC whine.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #22
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
I like the Superchargers with the real loud whine, like the Vortech with the Cog drive.
Right on.
As far as I'm concerned if you can't hear it, it's not doing much. And, if the technology bothers you because it's doing what it's supposed to do get something else to drive.
I'm like you I have a ProCharger, and when I hear the whine and the blow off valve I know it's working, and besides the sound of the exhaust and the tires screeching it's the sweetest sound I've ever heard.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #23
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
I can't wait to hear. I have never owned a supercharged car and am really looking forward to being able to hear it.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #24
mikebutry

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #54
Send a message via Yahoo to mikebutry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
I can't wait to hear. I have never owned a supercharged car and am really looking forward to being able to hear it.
this
mikebutry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #25
Oneslowz28
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
If the supercharger on the ZL1 sounds like the CTS-V then it's definitely on the mild side for whine. However, as mentioned above a CAI and different pulley can change that. Personally I love to hear the exhaust over the SC whine.

The caddy's exhaust is pretty quiet for what it is. From the vids on here of the ZL1 im sure it will be sweet music on both ends.
Oneslowz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #26
stymie

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
I'll rarely listen to the Boston Acoustic Sound System. I'll be too busy listening to the sweet music emanating from the supercharger & two stage exhaust!
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #27
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
manymanymany discussions about the whine.....we listened to many other supercharged cars - some are annoying - some are nearly silent.

The ZL1 whine isn't annoying - you'll hear it under certain conditions - and i think most will be happy with it.

.......and oh that wonderful exhaust .......

You don't hear it at all on the roads, and we couldn't hear it even with the hood open revving the engine while parked...the only time I heard the supercharger spinning was on the track at WOT down the back straight...and even then it felt like I needed to listen for it...it was subtle...

The dual-mode exhaust simply CONSUMES your hearing, in the meantime.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:11 PM   #28
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
Adding my experience to this thread....

I test drove a ZL1 yesterday. I always wanted to hear the ZL1 SC whine. Ever since the movie MAD MAX (I know, I know. the supercharger spins with the crankshaft and that wasn't close to being real) I wanted to own a supercharged car. Add to that all the ZL1 videos I've seen where you can hear the whine, loud and clear...I was disappointed a little bit.

Granted, I wasn't beating on the car because I was on a public road and I was not familiar with how the car responds to the throttle, I was able to get a few spirited accelerations in and I didn't hear the SC at all. I suspect that the cars in the videos had some sort of modifications to enhance the sound but I wasn't expecting the car to sound like there was no supercharger. I probably didn't get on it hard enough either.

I ultimately passed on the ZL1. After the test ride, I told my wife (not knowing how quite the car is) I didn't want to buy it because "it didn't feel special enough". It felt like the SS I drove several weeks earlier. Maybe, if I had known how quiet it really was or if I had heard the SC more, I would have decided differently.

Don't get me wrong, that is just one obscene car. I still love the ZL1 and one day I hope to own one. But for now, the SS will have to do.

After driving the SS and the ZL1, the only thing that made me go "WOW" on both test drives was the exhaust on startup. Man, the cars are beautifully loud!!

Oh and this ZL1 had the MGW shifter. It's shifting was 100% better than the first Camaro I drove. This shifter was smoother and had a less notchy feeling to it. The OEM shifter feels like crap. This is going to be my first mod.
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote