#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-26-2022, 09:16 PM   #1
PowerDemon

Drives: Camaro ZL1, Golf GTI
PowerDemon’s ’22 ZL1 Build Journal

Hello all,

I am coming to the Camaro platform from a Golf GTI. It is still my daily but the Camaro will be taking my mod focus from now on. Currently the Golf has a hybrid turbocharger, low pressure fuel pump, high pressure fuel pump, downpipe, intake, and a bigger intercooler. The car makes around 400whp on pump gas and runs pretty good. It only weighs 3040lbs so that 400 horsepower goes a long ways. If any of you are curious about the details of that car see my build thread here.

I started looking into RWD coupes looking for a platform I could grow into a bit more. I could have pushed more power out of the Golf but I would have been looking at a built motor and a lot more money for diminishing returns. Also at the end of the day its FWD, so I knew I needed something RWD and had the potential for big power. It had to be manual as well which limited my options. I looked at Mustangs primarily, but I was thoroughly unimpressed when I test drove one. It understeered like crazy and the seating position was so high I felt I was sitting in an SUV.

I ended up with a Camaro ZL1. With the used market how it is I knew I had to buy new. I couldn’t stomach over sticker prices on used cars with 5k miles. I looked at SS 1LE cars as I wouldn’t mind choosing my own blower, but I can't stand the facelift. I ordered my car in March though Koons Chevrolet in Tysons Corner, VA. The car was built in April but it wasn’t delivered until July. I ordered it Riverside Blue, red seatbelts, and with a manual transmission. I picked it up with 5 miles on it.

So far I love the car. It is everything I expected and more. It is just such a complete package. I finished the first 500 miles of the break in and changed the engine oil and differential oil. I finally got to go WOT last night after the service and I have to say wow. It really is a fantastic machine.

I regrettably obtained my first rock chip around 400 miles, so I immediately took reactive measures. I have an appointment next week with my local detail shop to fix the chip and have Xpel PPF applied on the full front, rockers, and rear fender. I also installed the ZL1 Addons Deluxe rock guards. Hopefully these measures will preserve the paint for many miles to come.

Thanks for reading and I hope to keep you all updated.

1100 03/08/22
2000 03/22/22
3400 TPW 4/11 3/28/22
4300 5/7/22
Delivered 7/19/22
Attached Images

Last edited by PowerDemon; 09-05-2022 at 10:56 PM.
PowerDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 09:17 PM   #2
PowerDemon

Reserved.
Old 08-26-2022, 09:43 PM   #3
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Great looking ride. Welcome!

What are your goals for the car?
Old 08-26-2022, 09:53 PM   #4
PowerDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Great looking ride. Welcome!

What are your goals for the car?
Thanks! My long term goal for the car is to run a 9.xxx@140+ in the quarter and a sub 6 second 60-130. That being said that is a very long term goal.

Shorter term my Golf's best time was a 9.67 60-130 so I would like to beat that (should be easy even stock), but for now I plan on just learning and enjoying the car. This is my first high horsepower RWD car, so I have much to learn. I would like to sign up for a couple track days as well.
Old 08-26-2022, 10:28 PM   #5
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Great looking ride! Get some smoked side LED markers and smoked rear reflectors to complete the look! I was so close to buying a ZL1 (because I love the hood and front end) but simply couldn't justify the extra cost for the power that I really couldn't use (had no intention of ever tracking my car).

Good call on the PPF, VERY important, here is what I did on my car right when I got it, nearly 7,000 miles and the only (minor) rock chip is on the windshield... I would recommend at LEAST these areas...

Enjoy our new ride, I'll be following your progress with interest!
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 08:34 AM   #6
PowerDemon

I wish I PPFed the car right after I took delivery, but I wanted to at least break it in first. I figured I could avoid rock chips for 500 miles with some defensive driving. I guess not!

I am getting PPF installed in all those areas you highlighted as well as the A-Pillars, roofline, and the rear fender front and back.

I plan on buying the smoked LED side markers but I hadn’t seen the smoked reflectors. Thanks!
Old 09-05-2022, 12:36 PM   #7
PowerDemon

So a few updates on the car.

A week or so ago I crossed 500 miles so I did my first break in service. I changed the oil with Mobile 1 0W-40 Supercar oil, new ACDelco PF64 filter, and I changed the diff fluid out with the OEM spec ACDelco 75W-90 oil.

It was a pretty easy change. It would have been a lot easier if I had bought a better oil catch tray though. The most difficult part was lifting the car! However next time I think everything will go much more smoothly.

I also installed some ZL1 Addons rock guards. I ended up having to buy more 3M tape from auto zone so I could get it to suit me. I tried to tuck the tape as far in as possible so the detailer still had room to wrap the fender edge with the PPF. Overall I am quite happy with them. Hopefully they do a good job of protecting the rear fenders.

I also dropped my car off on Thursday to get PPFed at my local shop. It is getting the Xpel track pack and it should be done Tuesday. The long weekend really screwed me I have been by to check on progress a few times and it seems to be coming along well. It looks even better than I expected it to.

So far my only concern is that one rock chip on top of the bumper. I was hoping a bit of touch up and the PPF would hide it but my eyes still go to it every time. I am considering having the shop peel off the PPF in that spot and seeing if I can't get the chip professionally repaired and then have the PPF reapplied. Suggestions are welcome..

Anyway loving the car so far! Thanks for reading
Attached Images

Last edited by PowerDemon; 09-05-2022 at 12:44 PM. Reason: because I cannot get the $#%& photos to cooperate!!
PowerDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 01:40 PM   #8
WillyZ83

Drives: 18 zl1 garnet red
Congrats on the purchase and looking great so far. This car is such a solid platform, many directions to go if you want more power too. That's the color of my old SS, loved that color.

2022 zl1 740hp / 730tq stolen
2018 zl1 Maggie - 2" headers - flex fuel - lowside fuel ssytem - +30 injectors - cordes ice tank - spl rear linkage arms
WillyZ83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 01:45 PM   #9
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Your car is amazingly beautiful, and the shop doing the PPF installation looks professional, too.

Here's an unorthodox idea about that rock chip: while you can definitely do what you're planning, I'd leave it there, accept that the car is no longer visually 100% perfect and embrace this "battle scar". This will reduce your stress level, steer your mind away from awkwardly extreme "rock chip avoidance strategies" and allow you to enjoy the car much more, which is the entire goal, isn't it.

Don't get me wrong, I love my car and the first cut was the deepest to me as well, but let's be honest, this is a Camaro, not a Koenigsegg.

(BTW if you didn't get PPF for the roof, guess where the next rock will hit as per Murphy's Law—yes, right there, a millimeter above the windshield—and Mr. Murphy is relentless, if you did get that area covered, then the rock will be kicked up by your front tire and hit right below the fuel door.)

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 04:49 PM   #10
PowerDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyZ83 View Post
Congrats on the purchase and looking great so far. This car is such a solid platform, many directions to go if you want more power too. That's the color of my old SS, loved that color.
Thank you! I couldn’t agree more! Hopefully it should handle ~750whp well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Your car is amazingly beautiful, and the shop doing the PPF installation looks professional, too.

Here's an unorthodox idea about that rock chip: while you can definitely do what you're planning, I'd leave it there, accept that the car is no longer visually 100% perfect and embrace this "battle scar". This will reduce your stress level, steer your mind away from awkwardly extreme "rock chip avoidance strategies" and allow you to enjoy the car much more, which is the entire goal, isn't it.

Don't get me wrong, I love my car and the first cut was the deepest to me as well, but let's be honest, this is a Camaro, not a Koenigsegg.

(BTW if you didn't get PPF for the roof, guess where the next rock will hit as per Murphy's Law—yes, right there, a millimeter above the windshield—and Mr. Murphy is relentless, if you did get that area covered, then the rock will be kicked up by your front tire and hit right below the fuel door.)
Thank you very much! I appreciate it.

The shop seems professional so far and from what I have heard they do most of the exotic cars in the area, so hopefully they treat me well. They’ve been very cool letting me stop in and check out what they’re doing and everything.

I am trying to get over the chip. That would certainly be the easiest course of action, but it is the only flaw I can find under the PPF. I get that it is a Camaro but it is my first new car. Hopefully I'll get over it and I can properly enjoy the car.

I did get the first 8” of the roof and the A-pillars PPFd but I am sure that a rock will find a chink in the armor eventually! That is always the way of things unfortunately.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:24 AM   #11
PowerDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by METHAT UGLO View Post
so far nice work ! keep it up

Thanks!

It’s been a little while since the last update so I’ll try and bring you all up to speed.

Since you last saw the car I took it back to the PPF shop to get some stuff redone. I couldn’t stand the partial panels, so I had them take off the old stuff and do full panels instead. So the car now has Xpel Ultimate PPF everywhere except the trunk and rear bumper. The rear bumper does have film on the quarter panels, but it’s almost impossible to see unless you look real close.

While it was at the shop I had them tint the windows as well. I went with 20% all the way around with Xpel Prime XR.

Name:  IMG_3165 3.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  187.2 KB

I am really happy with how it turned out. Dark enough to match all the other black bits on the exterior but not so dark you can’t see in or out.

I also added the blacked out side markers from Phastek Performance. They really completed the look. I didn't realize what an eyesore the stock ones were until I put these in! The install was super easy and everything went smoothly. Really nice upgrade.

Name:  IMG_3263.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  54.7 KB

Yesterday I added the smoked reflectors to the rear bumper. I picked those up from Next Gen Speed. Unlike the side markers these were a huge pain in the ass! But with a little patience and a magnetic screwdriver I persevered.

Name:  IMG_3270.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  203.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3275.jpg
Size:  180.8 KB

I think these came out great as well. They match the taillights and third brake light perfectly.

Overall the car is almost completely dialed in on the exterior. I just need to paint correct the trunk and bumper, then ceramic coat the whole thing. I’m thinking about going with Gyeon Pure Evo on all the painted/PPFed surfaces. It has that nice gloss that I’m looking for. I’ll most likely do Gyeon CanCoat Evo on the glass, wheels, and rubber/plastic trim.

Name:  IMG_3213.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  437.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3214.jpg
Size:  392.4 KB

Thanks for reading.