Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-28-2022, 07:15 AM   #1
Annatar

Drives: ZL1 six speed manual
Can't find front shocks!

2013 ZL1.

I tried:

- Summit Racing;
- Autozone;
- Rock Auto;
- 1A Auto;
- newgmparts.com.

I searched for:

front left AC Delco ADO-580-428 GM 22952188 replaces 22902678
front right AC Delco ADO-580-429 GM 22952189 replaces 22902679
rear both AC Delco ADO-580-445 GM 19300041 replaces 20942614

I get the exact same answer everywhere: "GM no longer offers those."

Are there revised GM or AC Delco part numbers I could search for?

Who has them in stock?

As far as I've researched, aftermarket only offers conventional shocks, and I don't want those because I want to keep a major feature of my vehicle, which is the magnetorheological suspension.

The computer measures the suspension 1000 per every inch of the road and adjusts the suspension accordingly, and if I put in non-magnetorheological shocks, the system will no longer work correctly and I'm probably looking at a firmware reflash, which will open a whole new can of worms. I don't want to go down that road unless I absolutely have to.

Finally, in the country where I live we are not allowed to modify our vehicles, and if the inspector sees aftermarket shocks, I'm toast: I can park the car forever because it won't be street legal.

As much as I hate to write it, this is one of those "OH HAI! PLZ HLP!" posts.
Annatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 09:58 AM   #2
SaReNi

Drives: 2012 SS
next step may be to communicate directly with major Chevy dealerships. I have found that the high volume dealerships often still have parts in their warehouse that have been discontinued. I have found and bought parts that way.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:39 AM   #3
Bretts9112

Drives: 2013 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annatar View Post
2013 ZL1.

I tried:

- Summit Racing;
- Autozone;
- Rock Auto;
- 1A Auto;
- newgmparts.com.

I searched for:

Who has them in stock?

As far as I've researched, aftermarket only offers conventional shocks, and I don't want those because I want to keep a major feature of my vehicle, which is the magnetorheological suspension.

The computer measures the suspension 1000 per every inch of the road and adjusts the suspension accordingly, and if I put in non-magnetorheological shocks, the system will no longer work correctly and I'm probably looking at a firmware reflash, which will open a whole new can of worms. I don't want to go down that road unless I absolutely have to.

Finally, in the country where I live we are not allowed to modify our vehicles, and if the inspector sees aftermarket shocks, I'm toast: I can park the car forever because it won't be street legal.

So you should look on ebay I found a whole set used
I also did find new ones online as well
It showed they had them in stock
Google the part numbers

https://www.gmpartsstore.com/oem-par...y-kit-22952188
Bretts9112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 04:25 PM   #4
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annatar View Post
2013 ZL1.

I tried:

- Summit Racing;
- Autozone;
- Rock Auto;
- 1A Auto;
- newgmparts.com.

I searched for:

Who has them in stock?

Call ACdelco direct I have had good luck with them locating dealers and or resellers that have parts. I got a couple extra sets a few years back from Amazon as I knew this would happen.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 07:45 PM   #5
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Earlier thisa year it took my dealer 2 1/2 months to locate a left rear shock.
I wanted to buy genuine GM rather take a chance on more common Chinese knock-offs you'd find on Ebay or Amazon.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 11:08 AM   #6
LevonH
Chevy Enthusiast.

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White
Anyone have a confirmed source for replacements?

Levon H. Bone Stock
LevonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 11:24 AM   #7
ZMEnow

This site in Texas says they have it but it’s amongst a few sites that say they can’t ship it because of hazardous materials and all of mine where shipped to me. So my guess based on the price is they are holding them for the person that will pay 700 bucks, better than the other site which was 850. https://www.chevroletpartsdirect.com...y-kit-22952188
Old 09-01-2022, 11:40 AM   #8
MLC_LSA

Drives: 2013 Summit White ZL1 M6
Isn't GM required to sell these kinds of parts for a minimum of 10 years after the last model year rolled off the line (i.e. 2025)? Or is this a material shortage problem? RockAuto used to have these with a lifetime warranty from ACDelco, I am wondering if that no longer applies? I still have my stock suspension, but I'm worried about when (not if) they start to leak.
MLC_LSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 05:12 PM   #9
mjsmith75

Drives: 2014 ZL1 - White M6
Same Issue

Been looking for a few weeks now. Want OEM's, not manual. Called AC Delco, they said they would get back to me. Called a bunch of dealers where the AC Delco site said they had stock...and they don't and they searched and said nobody had stock. Im kinda pissed right now. Was about to put in a bunch of money into my car in upgrades but am questioning that now.
mjsmith75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 05:14 PM   #10
mjsmith75

Drives: 2014 ZL1 - White M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
This site in Texas says they have it but it’s amongst a few sites that say they can’t ship it because of hazardous materials and all of mine where shipped to me. So my guess based on the price is they are holding them for the person that will pay 700 bucks, better than the other site which was 850. https://www.chevroletpartsdirect.com...y-kit-22952188
I ordered from that site, and others, all to have them reject my order saying they don't have inventory and can't get it.
mjsmith75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 08:03 PM   #11
ZMEnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLC_LSA View Post
Isn't GM required to sell these kinds of parts for a minimum of 10 years after the last model year rolled off the line (i.e. 2025)? Or is this a material shortage problem? RockAuto used to have these with a lifetime warranty from ACDelco, I am wondering if that no longer applies? I still have my stock suspension, but I'm worried about when (not if) they start to leak.
Ain’t happening I was looking for a rear pinion seal for 6 months as gm discontinued last dec 31 along with a crap load of parts. I got through to the head of warranty claims and they couldn’t find any. I finally had access to supply chain management and they told me it’s done. I got lucky and cross referenced the same part to American Axle. I found a site in Georgia that does custom rear ends and they did a bulk order from AA for 300 some time ago. When I got to them they had 33 left, I took three…
Old 09-01-2022, 11:13 PM   #12
HDRDTD

Note:
When I decided to replace the rear shocks, the local dealer said he found a pair of shocks at a dealer somewhere in the south. I asked if he was sure this dealer had a pair and he told me yes, so I asked the dealer to go ahead and order them.
A week or two later, I stopped in to check, and was told they weren't here just yet. Since I knew shipping things were in chaos because of Covid, I said I understood and waited some more.
Long story short, evidently the dealer in the south DID have a pair, but he couldn't ship them directly to my dealer, they first had to be sent to GM's Parts depot. When GM recieved the pair, they found that they (GM) already had recieved a request from someone else for a left rear shock, so they sent THAT person/dealer, the left rear shock that was supposed to come to me.

So, GM now had a right rear shock earmarked for my dealer, but no left rear shock.

Two weeks later the parts manager at my local dealer got her hands on a left rear shock and mine were installed.
Old 09-01-2022, 11:15 PM   #13
HDRDTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLC_LSA View Post
I don't think manufacturers are 'required' to stock/supply parts for 10 years, but it used to be a common practice.
Old 09-02-2022, 10:57 AM   #14
Revster

Drives: 2015 ZL1
I am in same situation, GM rears are available on Ebay and my dealer found Rears, I have contacted atleast 20 GM parts distrubuters and parts departments no front struts anywhere. Are there any other replacements to keep mag ride, or delete mag ride and do different shocks, or go with coilovers, just looking for some advice.

Thanks

Last edited by Revster; 09-02-2022 at 05:16 PM.
Revster is offline   Reply With Quote