Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-06-2022, 12:02 PM   #1
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Rear View Camera Hypothesis

My 2021 ZLE has the rearview camera option on the roof. For the last two months since I bought it, the camera did not work. It would turn on but the image was white/cloudy. I would check the camera periodically and noticed that gradually the image would start to come back. It started at the edges and finally worked its way toward the center. At one point, it looked as if there was a drop of water on the lens which distorted the image.

Finally after 8 weeks, the camera started working again and the image is clear. This is the weirdest thing I've seen with the car. My guess is that there was some trapped water in the camera. I wonder if water infiltrated the camera unit and perhaps if one uses a pressure washer to wash the car extra caution should be taken.

In any event, I wanted to throw this out there and see what you guys thought or if anyone experienced anything similar.
NG329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 12:04 PM   #2
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
Mine in my 21 never worked. I've been putting off taking it back to have them warranty it.
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 01:28 PM   #3
mariojas

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6 & 2023 Stinger GT AWD
Could be. Weird that lens isn't glued in to the sensor. Wiring wouldn't do that - digital signal I presume - would either work or not at all..

Charger sold! Better to sell, than waiting to be stolen...
mariojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:17 PM   #4
clyde

Drives: broken
I was on a long freeway drive a few weeks ago that ended with a couple hours in the rain. While using the camera for mirror, the image eventually showed some water dripping, but I had no idea if it was inside or outside the lens.

The next day, the camera displayed an unusable white/gray image as if it were all fogged up. A couple days later, it was still like that. I dropped the headliner, removed the sharkfin, and disassembled it. It was clear that there was residue or something inside the camera's lens in a lattice like structure. Since there was nothing I could do, I put it back together.

A few days after that, the displayed image started to slowly improve to the point where about a week after the initial rain, it was as if nothing ever happened.

Since then, I've washed it a few times and it's been a little bit of rain a couple times, but none as heavy or sustained like when the problem started. No further issues so far.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 08:04 AM   #5
NG329

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I was on a long freeway drive a few weeks ago that ended with a couple hours in the rain. While using the camera for mirror, the image eventually showed some water dripping, but I had no idea if it was inside or outside the lens.

The next day, the camera displayed an unusable white/gray image as if it were all fogged up. A couple days later, it was still like that. I dropped the headliner, removed the sharkfin, and disassembled it. It was clear that there was residue or something inside the camera's lens in a lattice like structure. Since there was nothing I could do, I put it back together.

A few days after that, the displayed image started to slowly improve to the point where about a week after the initial rain, it was as if nothing ever happened.

Since then, I've washed it a few times and it's been a little bit of rain a couple times, but none as heavy or sustained like when the problem started. No further issues so far.
This!!!!! Mine took 2 months to resolve. I would avoid pressure washers and also I might even recommend using clear silicone in the gap between the fin and the roof. I think I'm going to do that over the weekend.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:28 AM   #6
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Without seeing the board, I would suspect connection or chip failure as opposed to water intrusion. PCB's in these locations typically get conformal coating. The connectors usually have silicone sleeves to help against water intrusion. Failure is possible, but unlikely. I would go for a parts swap at the dealer under warranty.
ctrlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 08:44 PM   #7
NG329

So we had heavy rain today and voila! The camera had a little image distortion. Fortunately the rain was transient and once it dried I carried good speed for the remainder of the trip home. By the time I arrived home the image had cleared up.

So it's definitely water damage. I think I might recommend silicone at this point to avoid this in the future.
Old 07-09-2022, 06:24 AM   #8
clyde

Drives: broken
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG329 View Post
So we had heavy rain today and voila! The camera had a little image distortion. Fortunately the rain was transient and once it dried I carried good speed for the remainder of the trip home. By the time I arrived home the image had cleared up.

So it's definitely water damage. I think I might recommend silicone at this point to avoid this in the future.
If you try to move the sharkfin on the roof, is there much play? Or does it feel very secure? Mine always seemed kinda looser than I would have expected, but I didn't have a frame of reference for how loose/tight it should be. When I reattached mine, I tightened the bolt that clamps the assembly to the roof a little tighter than it was originally. Car has not been exposed to similar conditions as during the initial failure, so I don't know tightening helped.

I'd probably try that before considering silicone.

There is a rubber pad on the bottom of the sharkfin assembly that runs almost for its entire circumference, but leaves a small gap at the rear directly under the camera. The pad is the contact point between the sharkfin and roof.

However water is getting to the camera, it first has to get into the sharkfin. Silicone all around could well stop that, but it may make sharkfin removal more difficult and potentially cause paint damage if the sharkfin ever needs removal in the future.

Best bet is probably to take it to the dealer and have them replace the assembly. Out of warranty, I'd try to find the camera itself and just replace that part (since it's probably a $10 part if you can find it on aliexpress or somewhere similar), but it looks like GM only sells it as part of an entire sharkfin assembly at $300+
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 09:21 AM   #9
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Drives: 2021 ZLE A10
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
mine has worked flawlessly since day 1

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
2015 1SS 1LE M6 Black-Sold
2021 ZLE A10 Riverside Blue - Awaiting Arrival 01/10
Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 10:31 AM   #10
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Ray View Post
mine has worked flawlessly since day 1
Same here. Most likely the majority do too since I've never heard of this.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 06:11 PM   #11
Mac7504

Drives: 2003 Monte Carlo SS SLP, 2022 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Same here. Most likely the majority do too since I've never heard of this.
I'm in the group. Although I just got delivery in March, I exclusively use that cam since pretty much day one and no issues.
Mac7504 is offline   Reply With Quote