Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 07-12-2022, 10:21 PM   #1
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
FYI: SS 1LE OEM Front Brake Pads on Sale for $182.51 - Amazon Prime Day Through 7/13

Other ACDelco parts might be on sale too...worth checking if you need to buy any ACDelco parts within the next few months.

FYI for Amazon Prime members who go through a lot of brake pads on track, this is a good time to stock up. Black Friday is the only other time Amazon tends to put them on sale.

SS 1LE Front Brake Pads:
ACDelco 171-1040 (same as GM # 25940447)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00559PCI6

Note:
Amazon has not had the rear brake pads in stock for a while. RockAuto has SS 1LE rear pads for $142.89 + shipping if you want a complete set now but Amazon has had them for about $20 less as the normal price in the past when they are in stock:

GM # 84732503 (formerly GM # 22847818, same as ACDelco 171-1127) https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/gm...brake+pad,1684

General deals you can stack with the brake pad sale (or use for something else):
You can currently get $20 off if you have a Citi card and link it then pay with at least some points (no apparent minimum amount of points required).
https://www.amazon.com/citipromotion

Similarly you can get $30 off if you have a Discover card and pay with at least some points (no apparent minimum amount of points required). You will need to do 2 separate orders if you want to also use the Citi deal.
https://www.amazon.com/discoverpromo

$10 credit for completing Prime stampcard. Can't be redeemed on the same order as either of the two above offers.
https://www.amazon.com/cer/stampcard...erId=StampCard

Last edited by cdrptrks; 07-12-2022 at 10:39 PM.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:08 PM   #2
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Thanks for putting this together!
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 08:39 AM   #3
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Out of curiosity, are you guys happy with the OE pad for track days and hot laps?

I typically use Hawk DTC60s and on previous cars GLoc/carbotech and PFC pads. I was able to do one track day on factory 1LE pads. I was impressed that they stayed consistent all day and didn’t fade, but compared to the other pads I was underwhelmed with stopping power/torque. Had to brake a lot earlier than I’m used to, and push the pedal harder.

In my opinion extra $80 for something like Hawks is worth the investment. I suppose it depends on your goals and budget. In my case ~1.5s per lap is worth $80.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 12:28 PM   #4
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Drives: 2018 2SS, Black, A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Out of curiosity, are you guys happy with the OE pad for track days and hot laps?

I typically use Hawk DTC60s and on previous cars GLoc/carbotech and PFC pads. I was able to do one track day on factory 1LE pads. I was impressed that they stayed consistent all day and didn’t fade, but compared to the other pads I was underwhelmed with stopping power/torque. Had to brake a lot earlier than I’m used to, and push the pedal harder.

In my opinion extra $80 for something like Hawks is worth the investment. I suppose it depends on your goals and budget. In my case ~1.5s per lap is worth $80.
Good question, would be curious what those who have used both say. On the Camaro, you shaved 1.5s/lap, or in one of your previous rides?
I have only used OEM, in part because didn't want to drive to the events with those pads on. Heard they were hard on rotors for driving when not hot.
And more importantly haven't changed because I'm not really that good either. lol
Eric10905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 01:52 PM   #5
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:

What were your previous cars? I'm curious if that's contributing to some perceived lack of performance since you mentioned having to brake sooner.

From what I've seen there's not anything time-wise that can be had from switching to a different compound alone. Buddy of mine is messing around with different pad compounds in an SS 1LE and isn't seeing any time differences outside of normal lap-to-lap variance. Mainly boils down to a driver preference thing since OE does require a little more force on the driver's part to get to peak wheel slip for deceleration. Admittedly, that isn't everyone's preference, but OE nonetheless can still get there.

I stick with OE because I'm too cheap to shell out more for something I can't get any more performance out of. I like that there's a larger force range to modulate compared to something that locks up with a lot less force on the pedal, but I do have to work more with my foot which contributes to driver fatigue.
Old 08-19-2022, 03:40 PM   #6
5.M0NSTER

My observations are on my 1LE. My previous cars were a Mustang GT and a BMW M2. But I didn't dare taking those to the track on OE brakes, would not be a fun day with those.

My 1.5s remark is developing a baseline on dedicated track pad in my 1LE, and then doing my next track day with OE pads. Had to brake 2 markers earlier with OE pad vs. how I normally brake with track pads. Did not have the confidence to push into the brake zones I normally do.

By the end of the day I was very consistent, but not as fast with my laptimes. Only difference was pads, and day/ambient conditions.
Old 08-19-2022, 04:21 PM   #7
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Fair enough, driver confidence is definitely a factor that can't be ignored. Seems like $80 for the increased confidence to get 1.5s quicker lap times is cheap time reduction!

Last edited by Alpha1BC; 08-19-2022 at 04:32 PM.
Alpha1BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 08:39 PM   #8
Dabjbr

Yeah, I have only used the OE pads. I like the fact I don’t have to change between city and track use. I’ve never experienced fade and being that I haven’t tried another pad, I can’t speak to the difference.

Perhaps I should try another set like gloc or hawks.
Old 08-20-2022, 08:55 AM   #9
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric10905 View Post
Good question, would be curious what those who have used both say. On the Camaro, you shaved 1.5s/lap, or in one of your previous rides?
I have only used OEM, in part because didn't want to drive to the events with those pads on. Heard they were hard on rotors for driving when not hot.
And more importantly haven't changed because I'm not really that good either. lol
Eric,

I daily drive my car with the DTC70 front and DTC60 rear hawk pads and the only negative I see is that you are going to get a lot more brake dust on your wheels. I have had good wear out of the pads and rotors.
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 10:19 AM   #10
5.M0NSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
Eric,

I daily drive my car with the DTC70 front and DTC60 rear hawk pads and the only negative I see is that you are going to get a lot more brake dust on your wheels. I have had good wear out of the pads and rotors.
Similar experience here. I got lazy and now I’m on DTC60s all around all the time. I don’t swap back and forth to street setup any longer. I do 4-5 track events per year and put about ~5000 street miles per season.

More dust and some more noise but absolutely livable. Not like Xp10/12s, and a lot more quiet than PFC08 I had on my M2. It was like a freight train doing an emergency stop at every light. It was unbearable and I had to swap on that car. Loved that pad tho, I got 12 track days out of it, and still had half the lining.

I don’t notice increased wear, tho I’m sure it’s there. I might just not drive enough to notice.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 08-20-2022 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-20-2022, 01:23 PM   #11
Dabjbr

I hear that you shouldn’t run various pads front and rear so I like the idea of dtc60 at both ends.

How much is a complete set and do you also find them substantially better than OE?
Old 08-20-2022, 04:48 PM   #12
5.M0NSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabjbr View Post
I hear that you shouldn’t run various pads front and rear so I like the idea of dtc60 at both ends.

How much is a complete set and do you also find them substantially better than OE?
KNS brakes has them for $287 front and $198 rear.

They have more torque than OE for sure. Higher usable temps too.

https://knsbrakes.com/c/car-items/49...ace+Brake+Pads
Old 08-20-2022, 05:48 PM   #13
Dabjbr

Quote:
KNS brakes has them for $287 front and $198 rear.

They have more torque than OE for sure. Higher usable temps too.

https://knsbrakes.com/c/car-items/49...ace+Brake+Pads
Thanks for looking it up. That’s very reasonable!

I just purchased a new OE set. Otherwise, I would’ve given them a try. Perhaps on my next swap!
Old 08-20-2022, 06:05 PM   #14
5.M0NSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabjbr View Post
Thanks for looking it up. That’s very reasonable!

I just purchased a new OE set. Otherwise, I would’ve given them a try. Perhaps on my next swap!
Sounds good!

I bring the OEs with me to track events as my backup set. I'm starting to run low on the lining of my fronts. I just registered for an event September 3rd, and I have juuuust enough money in the "Car" 2022 budget to do either 2 events, or 1 event and buy new brake pads.

Normally this wouldn't be a constraint, but we are building a new house this year, and into next year. So any "unused" budget fraction goes towards that. Decisions decisions