Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-23-2021, 11:14 PM   #29
sschons74

Drives: 16 Camaro 1SS & 82 Silverado C10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
Not sure you could do that with the wheel offset. I know you can’t do a square setup without spacers but unsure if it’s due to fronts not working in back or backs not working on front. 1” dia difference may not be enough to toast the LSD. It is capable of slipping after all, because it does it every time around a corner, and to much more degree than a 1” dia diff would cause.

Looks like I’m stuck with RoF’s or the emergency kit for non-RoF’s for my vert. Haven’t had a flat in many many years until last summer when my XT5 picked up a pointed lag bolt just before I got on a freeway. Had to change it out in a parking lot as it went fast after the bolt ejected itself! Luckily made it to an exit before all the air was gone!
I had a front wheel on the rear. After a deer hit me all down my side into rear wheel, Chevy collision repair shop accidentally switched wheels and mounted my rear tire on a front rim. I didn't notice it until powder coater guy noticed it, I had to get a new rear 9.5 wheel. Front wheel does fit on rear axel, not the best way I found out.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:36 AM   #30
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
My favorite story about AAA is having a dead battery at a rest stop on the NY Thruway late at night. I called AAA, and they said "We don't do the Thruway. They have their own road service so here's their number. Call them. I did. No answer. Apparently the Thruway keeps regular business hours.

Then I remembered the old trick of turning on the headlights for 30 seconds to stimulate the battery. I got the car started...just barely, and got the battery replaced in the morning.

If I'de had a flat, I would have been stuck until the next morning...with wife and kids, BTW.

So...my advice is, if you have a garage queen and the drag strip is around the corner, then fine, get rid of the run-flats. Otherwise, don't.

I have carried a full sized spare strapped down in the trunk of my Gen5, but I understand the Gen6 doesn't have the steel tie downs and maybe a full sized tire doesn't even fit.

When this pandemic shit is over and I resume road trips in my Gen5, I'm gonna throw some run flats on it.
Well that doesn't sound like a great story for AAA, but I certainly would never gauge my choice on one experience. I'll stick with my cell and AAA. I won't run, run flats... and beside that, what if you have an issues that isn't a tire, like your battery or something else. You are still going to have to rely on someone... AAA, Cops, Wrecker, etc... What good is a run flat when the issue is not a flat tire. In your scenario, I would have called the police station if I couldn't have got my car started. I certainly wouldn't have sat there all night.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:17 AM   #31
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
Not sure you could do that with the wheel offset. I know you can’t do a square setup without spacers but unsure if it’s due to fronts not working in back or backs not working on front. 1” dia difference may not be enough to toast the LSD. It is capable of slipping after all, because it does it every time around a corner, and to much more degree than a 1” dia diff would cause.

Looks like I’m stuck with RoF’s or the emergency kit for non-RoF’s for my vert. Haven’t had a flat in many many years until last summer when my XT5 picked up a pointed lag bolt just before I got on a freeway. Had to change it out in a parking lot as it went fast after the bolt ejected itself! Luckily made it to an exit before all the air was gone!
The front wheel can go on the rear just fine with the stock offset, and it would be exactly how the 'LT1' and I4/V6 LT cars are set up. Essentially the outer edge of the wheel will sit in the same spot, but the inner part of the wheel will have an extra inch of clearance.

However, the rear wheel cannot go on the front, since the inner part of the wheel would sit inward by 1" and have interference.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:32 AM   #32
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
I had a flat back in October. The repair kit did exactly nothing as the bead was off. USAA roadside assistance and $30 later she was sitting in the Chevy dealership in Scottsboro AL. Long story short she picked up a nail. Cost me a little over $100 after hazard insurance.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:47 AM   #33
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
Air compressor, tools, plug kits, Etc. All in the factory foam
Attached Images

Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:52 AM   #34
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
... What good is a run flat when the issue is not a flat tire.
It would be as useful as a jump starter if you don't have a dead battery.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:14 AM   #35
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqwert6 View Post
Ok, where did you get all this? Details please.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:53 AM   #36
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
Quote:
That is F-in great.
I just bought the Autown repair kit for the plugs and the Air man resQ kit for the sealant and the compressor.
I was hoping to be able to fit in there like you did. Thats so factory looking they should follow your lead.
MR's 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:08 AM   #37
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
YES! Details, cost, and links (if possible) please!
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:32 AM   #38
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Check out Modern Spare. Picked up the entire kit for my Z/28. Just over $400. If you drive public roadways you need this.
Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!

funked1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:33 PM   #39
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Ok found this...

https://www.harborfreight.com/12V-15...sor-63184.html

Now to figure out the tool kit I cannot read the name on the bag - and what is in it
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:07 PM   #40
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Why would you post this without telling us where you got this?
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:55 AM   #41
Zaqwert6

To those who asked, sorry and thanks. :-)

The compressor is from Harbor Freight. It's the big boy and really the only compressor that I found that really could do the job of high volume and high pressure in a reasonable amount of time. Plus it came with a ton of cord and a ton of hose. I tried three or four of those little lighter socket compressors and half of them couldn't get up to pressure, or took them like 10 or 15 minutes, or they just melted. LOL.

Plug kit and tools came from Amazon, I think it was called like SS tools believe it or not. Might be a s tools. Or something like it. I added a Gerber multi tool that has pliers and various other little tidbits to it. They're easy to find anywhere and the one that got is stainless.

As far as how it fits, the compressor fit pretty much right in the opening. The tool kit with the plugs and all I just had to do a little bit of carving on the foam to get it to fit in a pre-existing notch. And the multi-tool is an a little case right under the compressor. It really just took a little bit of carving for it all with a hacksaw blade and a handle.

I really wanted it to look Factory under there, and I didn't want anything else in my trunk because I use it too when I have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Ok, where did you get all this? Details please.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:58 AM   #42
Zaqwert6

BeTooll is the plug kit from Amazon. It's a pretty serious set. I added some basic hand tools to the case as well as the multi-tool that I mentioned.