Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 07-19-2019, 02:20 AM   #1
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
How many heat cycles out of SC3's

Hi, how many heat cycles are you guys getting out of your stock GY SC3's?

I see guys saying they are getting 5 to 6 track days, and obviously that's track dependent, but what about the number of heat cycles.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:13 AM   #2
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Run them till they cord unless you like throwing money away...
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #3
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Run them till they cord unless you like throwing money away...
So you're saying they will cord before heat cycles become an issue?
Old 07-19-2019, 03:29 PM   #4
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
I don't think heat cycles effect a 200tw tire enough to notice a difference. I run my G3s till they cord and they still perform great.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:41 PM   #5
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
I don't think heat cycles effect a 200tw tire enough to notice a difference. I run my G3s till they cord and they still perform great.
I agree with this guy, for once.

I am almost done with my second set (street driven, so they see more heat cycles than most track dedicated tires) and they have little fall off all the way down.

Obviously the best grip is the first 1/3 of the tread life, but they hold up very well.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:10 PM   #6
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Maybe I am misunderstanding the question, but don't tires go through a heat cycle every time you drive on them?
Old 07-19-2019, 04:20 PM   #7
Heartbreaker

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL-1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Maybe I am misunderstanding the question, but don't tires go through a heat cycle every time you drive on them?
Not sure about the heat cycles but the more I drive on these tires the better they perform. Getting worn now and the turn in is great. Better than when new.
Heartbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:04 PM   #8
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Yes they do, assuming you drive them more than say a mile and not just around the block.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:48 AM   #9
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Agreed . . . but I doubt that all heat cycles are created equal.

Norm
Old 07-20-2019, 06:45 PM   #10
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Agreed . . . but I doubt that all heat cycles are created equal.

Norm
Haha! Good one Norm

The only consideration with G3s is how much tread is left for water evacuation. Other than that, they grip till they cord and number of heat cycles dont seem to affect them much (as stated above already). Having said that, note that any tire will be fastest when just starting a session after a warm up lap.
Eventually they will fall off a bit with more laps especially if they slide a lot. So if ya try to go for a PB do it early in a session. Then ya need to cool them down to get peak performance again. In longer races that's what called "managing tires". Ciao!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:11 PM   #11
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Haha! Good one Norm

The only consideration with G3s is how much tread is left for water evacuation. Other than that, they grip till they cord and number of heat cycles dont seem to affect them much (as stated above already). Having said that, note that any tire will be fastest when just starting a session after a warm up lap.
Eventually they will fall off a bit with more laps especially if they slide a lot. So if ya try to go for a PB do it early in a session. Then ya need to cool them down to get peak performance again. In longer races that's what called "managing tires". Ciao!
On both the G3's (my two sons run on them) and the G3R's (I run on those), you'll get much more life if you 1) regularly swap them side-to-side, let's say, after one day of a two day weekend, and, 2) [more of a PITA] to flip the fronts on the rim as we wear those out [cord outer area of fronts] about twice as quick as the rears.

To what TrackClub said about water evacuation, neither tire is the best (at all) when new in standing water, so, with the sipes backwards, if you flip the fronts on the rim, they will not exactly be a good thing in the wet.

We drive to and from our "home" track [Motorsports Ranch - Cresson, TX] 90 miles one way in most cases (vs. trailering), and of course, after a bunch of driving and track heat cycles, they aren't as good at the end of their life. However, they still are good enough...
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:51 PM   #12
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
On both the G3's (my two sons run on them) and the G3R's (I run on those), you'll get much more life if you 1) regularly swap them side-to-side, let's say, after one day of a two day weekend, and, 2) [more of a PITA] to flip the fronts on the rim as we wear those out [cord outer area of fronts] about twice as quick as the rears.

To what TrackClub said about water evacuation, neither tire is the best (at all) when new in standing water, so, with the sipes backwards, if you flip the fronts on the rim, they will not exactly be a good thing in the wet.

We drive to and from our "home" track [Motorsports Ranch - Cresson, TX] 90 miles one way in most cases (vs. trailering), and of course, after a bunch of driving and track heat cycles, they aren't as good at the end of their life. However, they still are good enough...
Good thoughts! To add a few more of my own: if you flip the G3s on a wheel you'll have close to zero wet capability as outside shoulders which will now be on the inside offer virtually no channels even when brand new (by design, to increase grip when cornering). Also given the cost of this procedure, personally i prefer to keep the $ for a next new set.

Rotating wheels L to R is a no brainer, albeit logistically problematic, unless one has at least 1 spare wheel to facilitate a switch with. Or a shop with a lift near by.
Ive seen guys put a whole front on jack stands before, but this is way over my safety tolerance. Call me timid

NB i have experienced an absolute deluge, while on a concrete hiway and nothing bad happened. The G3s had 3 track days on them. Of course i slowed down and after a short while ended up exiting to wait it out safely. Would i like to experience the same situation with more tire wear? A definite no.

Having just checked my tires with 4 days of hard running at CW venues and quite a few miles of back and forth dd, my left front still has a middle main channel, a wee bit of an inside one left and almost none of the outside main channel. The right front is similarly worn but in a bit of a better shape (of course). Rotating them left to right would be ideal about now. The rears are much better. Would i be concerned with wet surface? No. Standing water? Likely. By tomorrow i will have 5 days on them and hope like heck it is sunny during my long trip home
Old 07-21-2019, 07:27 AM   #13
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Rotating wheels L to R is a no brainer, albeit logistically problematic, unless one has at least 1 spare wheel to facilitate a switch with. Or a shop with a lift near by.
Ive seen guys put a whole front on jack stands before, but this is way over my safety tolerance. Call me timid
In the grand scheme of this hobby, a second jack isn't all that much of an expense, though perhaps problematic for working in paddock. When you lift an entire end (or side), you can lift more evenly with two jacks.

I think I just took this picture for illustration-of-concept purposes; the front being up on low ramps being the explanation for the blocks behind the same end apparently being jacked up. Picture taken at some unknown time prior to having the house re-sided and re-shingled.

Norm
Old 07-22-2019, 07:37 AM   #14
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
In the grand scheme of this hobby, a second jack isn't all that much of an expense, though perhaps problematic for working in paddock. When you lift an entire end (or side), you can lift more evenly with two jacks.

I think I just took this picture for illustration-of-concept purposes; the front being up on low ramps being the explanation for the blocks behind the same end apparently being jacked up. Picture taken at some unknown time prior to having the house re-sided and re-shingled.

Norm
Damn perfect! And given that many folks carry a jack, borrowing a second one from a track friend should not be an issue. Problem solved! Thank you Norm!

Tags
heat cycle, sc3, tire, track