Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-16-2019, 08:22 PM   #113
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
I had over 50% left on both front and rear prior to the event... Not sure if our brakes would act differently of not since we have different models of car?
They were hot enough to be smoking by the end of the last session...
We have the same Bremboni brakes albeit your discs are slightly bigger and so are the pads. You also have vented pistons (better). There should be zero difference.

Make sure to do a cool down lap before heading to the paddock at the end of each session, ideally with speeds that require no use of brakes at all for a lap (or as close to it as possible). That will prevent majority of a heat soak not only to the brakes, but also wheels, hubs, tires and motor.

If they still smoke from heat, go for a short drive on an access road trying to use brakes as little as possible and pop the hood open from inside the cabin. This will intro more air flow to the whole area.

Upon parking, open the hood fully, to cool them down faster (and help cool down the motor as well).
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:29 PM   #114
TrackClub

Quote:
Agreed, started doing that last night and started noticing things I had not noticed before that's for sure.
Excellent!!!

Also note his steering: many of the corners flow real well in *combination* and can be taken with the same steering lock.
This makes for fewer weight transitions - as less steering (which transfers weight) makes for better balance.
The better the balance, the more grip you have
Old 07-17-2019, 09:29 AM   #115
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Yeah I compare/overlay my AIM data to FAST SCCA T1 buddy.
Our MPH and G's are close but I brake many many feet earlier!
His car with him in it is ~3200 while I am @ ~3780!
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:42 AM   #116
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
Yeah I compare/overlay my AIM data to FAST SCCA T1 buddy.
Our MPH and G's are close but I brake many many feet earlier!
His car with him in it is ~3200 while I am @ ~3780!
Ya that's what works best imo and that's what pro teams do between team members. Otherwise it can just become a bit of mental masturbation
Pats to Fozzie pls Nicky Bobby and thank you!
PS hope you'll manage to fix that half shaft quickly. Not sure but ZL1 might work as those cars have ediff too and likely more beefy units given power levels. But i know zero about fit etc...
Old 07-18-2019, 05:51 PM   #117
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
We have the same Bremboni brakes albeit your discs are slightly bigger and so are the pads. You also have vented pistons (better). There should be zero difference.

Make sure to do a cool down lap before heading to the paddock at the end of each session, ideally with speeds that require no use of brakes at all for a lap (or as close to it as possible). That will prevent majority of a heat soak not only to the brakes, but also wheels, hubs, tires and motor.

If they still smoke from heat, go for a short drive on an access road trying to use brakes as little as possible and pop the hood open from inside the cabin. This will intro more air flow to the whole area.

Upon parking, open the hood fully, to cool them down faster (and help cool down the motor as well).
Yup always doing cool down laps
Old 07-18-2019, 05:52 PM   #118
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Excellent!!!

Also note his steering: many of the corners flow real well in *combination* and can be taken with the same steering lock.
This makes for fewer weight transitions - as less steering (which transfers weight) makes for better balance.
The better the balance, the more grip you have
Yes I noticed this with DudeOnTrack in his 911.2 4S as well as some guy in a BMW M2 CS, they both look very smooth in comparison to me.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:05 PM   #119
TrackClub

Quote:
Yup always doing cool down laps
Cool! (Pun fully intended lol!)
Old 07-18-2019, 08:07 PM   #120
TrackClub

Quote:
Yes I noticed this with DudeOnTrack in his 911.2 4S as well as some guy in a BMW M2 CS, they both look very smooth in comparison to me.
The key is to link them into a single corner as much as possible to minimize unnecessary weight transfer.
You're on it! Great!
Old 07-19-2019, 03:25 PM   #121
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
The key is to link them into a single corner as much as possible to minimize unnecessary weight transfer.
You're on it! Great!
Yeah that's a good way to put it, I think timing, familiarity and anticipation will be playing a key role in this.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:52 PM   #122
TrackClub

Quote:
Yeah that's a good way to put it, I think timing, familiarity and anticipation will be playing a key role in this.
You are absolutely correct. You nay also find that your car will prefer a slightly different line, etc. So experimentation also pays good dividents once ya get the basics down to a routine. Have fun!

Tags
coilover, dssv, track, zle