Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 04-23-2018, 10:11 PM   #1
BigShow1960
BigShow

Drives: 2017 1 Camaro + Chevy Avalanche
Supporting Goodyear

I'm 6th months, 5,500 miles, and seven track days in to ownership. I bought my second set of tires 1,000 miles and four track days ago. I need to buy another set of fronts tires. The front right tire started to delam on the last set last sunday.

Sunday morning before my first set I noted that the the tire had rolled over too far and had worn badly on the outer edge. My fault for not checking more closely Saturday. So on Sunday, rather than continue to drop tire pressure down to 28 psi as the day progressed I just stayed with the first setting, which was about about 29 to 30 psi for sets 2, 3 and 4.

When I bought the last set of tires a local dealer was able to set the camber to -2 degrees. since then I've been watching my tire pressure like a hawk. When not tracking pressure is at 34 to 35 psi in the morning. Prior to going out on the track I set tire pressure all around to 28 psi.

So what are possible solutions...
Only the right front tire is bad. I either need to buy two new fronts or four of anything but a Goodyear. I'm not going to mix and match different brands.

Rear tires do not appear to have rolled over anything like the fronts so I think that I can keep rear tire pressure at 28 psi. If I run Goodyears on the track again, I'll probably start out at 30 psi.

I'm not a long time track rat, but I do think that the car understeers a bit, that could be part of the problem. Going to a square setup on 19 inch rims with 305's all around should reduce understeer.

Venting over, I'm going to Tire Rack to buy to new Goodyears for the front. This fall/winter I'm going to switch to something else.
BigShow1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:13 AM   #2
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShow1960 View Post
I'm 6th months, 5,500 miles, and seven track days in to ownership. I bought my second set of tires 1,000 miles and four track days ago. I need to buy another set of fronts tires. The front right tire started to delam on the last set last sunday.

Sunday morning before my first set I noted that the the tire had rolled over too far and had worn badly on the outer edge. My fault for not checking more closely Saturday. So on Sunday, rather than continue to drop tire pressure down to 28 psi as the day progressed I just stayed with the first setting, which was about about 29 to 30 psi for sets 2, 3 and 4.

When I bought the last set of tires a local dealer was able to set the camber to -2 degrees. since then I've been watching my tire pressure like a hawk. When not tracking pressure is at 34 to 35 psi in the morning. Prior to going out on the track I set tire pressure all around to 28 psi.

So what are possible solutions...
Only the right front tire is bad. I either need to buy two new fronts or four of anything but a Goodyear. I'm not going to mix and match different brands.

Rear tires do not appear to have rolled over anything like the fronts so I think that I can keep rear tire pressure at 28 psi. If I run Goodyears on the track again, I'll probably start out at 30 psi.

I'm not a long time track rat, but I do think that the car understeers a bit, that could be part of the problem. Going to a square setup on 19 inch rims with 305's all around should reduce understeer.

Venting over, I'm going to Tire Rack to buy to new Goodyears for the front. This fall/winter I'm going to switch to something else.
The issue is not G3 tires (which actually are quite robust longevity wise) but your inadequate camber.

Go back to the dealer and ask them to max the front camber. If they cant or wont then find a shop that will.
My dealer got 2.6f and 1.6r based on my specific request and my tire wear is fine. G3 should last a good 6-7 days plus some dd. Fyi ive also tried RE71R and Cup2 and they didnt last any longer and Cup2 to the contrary (actually managed to cord LF).

Cheers
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:18 AM   #3
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Agreed, get more camber. I am running -3.4 deg front which also neutralizes the understeer. The car feels pretty balanced now.
R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #4
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
I have a pretty neutral balance even with my settings.
Big difference between 2.0 vs 2.6.
Id suggest the OP simply maximizes the F camber and sees where that gets him as for most this does the trick (before going with camber plates and such).
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:57 AM   #5
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I cannot stress it enough! Set your track camber and leave it, then check and zero toe OFTEN!!! I got a lifetime alignment package from firestone and my toe is out even after 1.5 months of off season daily driving on all season tires during which I never curbed the wheels or hit pot holes. Toe needs to be checked often on these cars!!!!
Old 04-24-2018, 11:56 AM   #6
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
You don't have enough camber in front, full stop.

Also, cold pressures below 30psi require a delicate but deliberate touch to heat up the tire to get the pressure up mid 30's, or you'll roll over the sidewalls.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:37 PM   #7
pbsinternet1le

Drives: 2017 1le current /2015 2ss 1le sold
It's you not me...jk.. camber too little.. tire pressure a bit low.. that'll roll any tire...
Old 04-24-2018, 11:24 PM   #8
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Need more camber. Period. My local alignment shop was able to get my fronts to -2.6 and there was no issues with the tires even at Chuckwalla which has 3 huge, fast, 180 degree sweepers, including a banked one that puts a LOT of extra load onto the tires.

Were you the one at the NASA event at Bondurant over the weekend?
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:18 PM   #9
BigShow1960
BigShow

[QUOTE=Were you the one at the NASA event at Bondurant over the weekend?[/QUOTE]

Yes, Interesting track. No one had been on it before. The first set was really slow, but after that it picked up quite a bit. My Best time was under 1:17.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:22 PM   #10
BigShow1960
BigShow

Getting new Goodyears for the front this week. A local Firestone dealer will install for me. I have lifetime alignment with them but that can't do any better than -1.2 degree up front. I will ask them to check the alignment.

I'm off the track until the fall. I'll switch to as high a camber that the local Chevy dealer can get me to.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:28 AM   #11
AZ_1LE

Quote:
Getting new Goodyears for the front this week. A local Firestone dealer will install for me. I have lifetime alignment with them but that can't do any better than -1.2 degree up front. I will ask them to check the alignment.

I'm off the track until the fall. I'll switch to as high a camber that the local Chevy dealer can get me to.
They have to totally loosen both strut bolts where it connects at the spindle. This allows both mount points to pivot, giving the top of the spindle more lean-in (camber).
Old 04-26-2018, 10:31 AM   #12
AZ_1LE

Quote:
Yes, Interesting track. No one had been on it before. The first set was really slow, but after that it picked up quite a bit. My Best time was under 1:17.
Nice, I was there too, but due to a screwed up knee, I couldn't get my car ready so I was helping my buddies with their track cars who were running in ST2.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:03 PM   #13
BigShow1960
BigShow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_1LE View Post
Nice, I was there too, but due to a screwed up knee, I couldn't get my car ready so I was helping my buddies with their track cars who were running in ST2.
So, you had the Black 1LE? We spoke for just a few minutes.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:14 PM   #14
BigShow1960
BigShow

Mystery Solved!

I took the car to Firestone this evening. I asked them to replace the front tires, check the alignment, and check the clunking sound that I've been hearing since the local Chevy dealer did the alignment. Note that after the dealer did the alignment I took it back to them because the steering wheel was off center and I was hearing a clunking sound up front. At that time the dealer straightened out the steering wheel and told me the clunking was normal, a result of the increased camber.

The Firestone tech showed me that the two camber bolts on the right front tire were completely loose. I took video of him shaking and moving the wheel, you can see the bolts are loose. They wrote up their findings on the service ticket. Leaving the Firestone parking lot the front end sounded good, not clunky. I asked Firestone to skip the alignment, and dropped my car off with the both front tires in the car, at the dealership.

What the heck, last weekend I was running this car around the track, setting a better time than another 1LE in the advanced group with a properly set up car. I'm glad nothing bad happened while I was braking hard entering carousel turns.