Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-03-2018, 08:19 PM   #15
I`m Batman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6
I test drove the new M6 2018 Mustang GT PP1 with the adjustable LCD gauge (pretty cool), adjustable exhaust, etc, blah blah blah. It just showed up at the dealer, still had all the plastic covering everything inside. The salesman had to remove them.

Here's my quick impression.

The good:
It's a great car.
When you open up the exhaust (track mode), it sounds amazing.
The full customizable LCD gauge is cool.
Better visibility. (But I prefer the "closeness" of the Camaro)
It does have nice interior, leather and Recaros.
The 6M does feels more mechanical/solid going into each gate/gear.

The bad:
No low end power compared to the LT1.
Long ass clutch. You don't know when it's going to engage because it's so long.
The whole car feels like it's vibrating and made out of tin. Maybe it's the exhaust on Track mode. My hands, feet and butt were numb after the test drive because of the vibration.
Doesn't feel like it handles as well.

I'm sure someone else can do a better review but that's what I got from a short test drive.

Both are great cars, you can't go wrong with either. But the way I see it... If you want the no non-sense performance, then get the Camaro. If you want to be a bit more practical, and a little bit of fluff, get the Mustang.
***Not sure about the vibrating part being practical though. I would go CRAZY if my car vibrates like that all the time.
I`m Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:56 PM   #16
TheReaper

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Drive both cars and buy the one you like the most.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:11 PM   #17
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Having recently purchased, I considered the GT350, but figured if I was going to spend that much, I'd have to be thinking ZL1. I didn't really want a ZL1 because I don't have the roads to really stretch that capability IMO, but the 2SS 1LE I have is such a good performer it doesn't match up against the normal Mustang models. I do think the GT350 is a good looker with a good engine. The chassis is just not quite as good and Ford seems to have difficulty tuning the IRS to be competitive with the other good-turning cars. On the other spectrum, Chevrolet seems to have chassis tuning and suspension down pat, ATS-V, CTS-V, SS, Camaro SS, 1LE, ZL1, ZL-1 1LE, Stingray, Grand Sport, Z06, ZR-1.

So I wanted to give the GT350 a chance, all the ones I checked out had all kinds of stripes all over them. I like the stance on the car, how it's decently wide and has at least decent sized rubber underneath. The visibility is obviously better. Anyone that tells you "it doesn't matter" is fooling themselves. It's a hazard and not being able to see as much in your peripheral vision is an issue, it won't cause an accident most of the time and you set your mirrors correctly and don't merge over multiple lanes at once, it's ok, but humans are not perfect machines and it's ridiculous to pretend that we won't make errors. With that said, I had a Gen5 2SS and I knew I would adapt just fine to the Camaro. I definitely felt like I was sitting "on" the car in the GT350 rather than "in" the car. I also found that to have the same creature comforts, things you expect to come standard as far as electronics/interfaces, you had to spring for an extra package. The interior was a little upscale, but when it's missing many of these features you expect, it goes back in the other direction. The interior was about as nice as the ZL-1. The 2SS interior I have isn't much below, definitely decent (seems like a world different than the 4cyl turbo camaro I rented a few months back).

The other thing though is the performance, having gobs of torque down low is lots of fun, you can rev it if you want, or cruise at low RPMs with enough torque to pull out of a dig. Area beneath the curve is what makes a car fast, meaning that when you upshift you are starting out with more torque, rather than having to rev higher and then take a bigger hit on torque when you change gears. Sure, a pushrod engine revs lower and has it's own limitations, but it's light, it's low CG and Chevrolet does it extremely well, it's a toss-up as far as engines IMO. If the GT350 was really showing it was a lot faster due to the engine, it might have been worth more consideration, but it's a decent engine in a marginal chassis compared to another decent engine in an excellent chassis.

Discussing the noise with the NPP, it's awesome. Don't overthink this, the Camaro makes awesome sounds accelerating, blipping the throttle for the rev-matching, popping, on start-up, etc. This is way beyond what my Gen 5 sounded like. Even though it doesn't really add to the handling or power, this is one of the better features of the car. Maybe it could be better, but I don't think 99.9% of people will want more if they get NPP.

I think the Mustangs are finally where they needed to be for the Gen 5 Camaro. If they had the GT350, PP1 and PP2 (well, they kind of did) back when the Gen 5 was the GM product, it would make a lot more sense.

There are some other hits with the Camaro, the trunk opening, the rear seat size (but neither of these cars is intended for rear passengers), but from a performance and fun factor, it does it. I'm not regretting it one bit. You know it's the right one when you see something else like an M4, Porsche, or Hellcat and you do not for one second wish you were in the other car. That's how I feel driving it

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:54 PM   #18
Childs Play
Pizza & Wings Only $12.99

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Well. If you want an auto the 10 speed is an advantage currently in the Mustang IMO. Vision around the car is a little better in the Mustang.

I still prefer the Camaro however. Biased....

Past Rides:
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
2012 Camaro ZL1 A6
2017 Camaro 2SS M6
Childs Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:19 PM   #19
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
The visibility is obviously better. Anyone that tells you "it doesn't matter" is fooling themselves. It's a hazard and not being able to see as much in your peripheral vision is an issue, it won't cause an accident most of the time and you set your mirrors correctly and don't merge over multiple lanes at once, it's ok, but humans are not perfect machines and it's ridiculous to pretend that we won't make errors.
I can tell you that I've driven all 3 of the "pony" cars and the only one that had really decent visibility was the Challenger. The Camaro and the Mustang have virtually the SAME viewing area. The only difference in the cars are the belt line. It may be an issue for you, but it's never been an issue for me. I've owned both a 5th and 6th gen Camaro. The visibility is negligible, especially if you are a taller person.

Can it be an issue? Sure...just like its an issue in the Mustang. It just "feels" different because of the cockpit feel of the Camaro.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:38 PM   #20
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
I can tell you that I've driven all 3 of the "pony" cars and the only one that had really decent visibility was the Challenger. The Camaro and the Mustang have virtually the SAME viewing area. The only difference in the cars are the belt line. It may be an issue for you, but it's never been an issue for me. I've owned both a 5th and 6th gen Camaro. The visibility is negligible, especially if you are a taller person.

Can it be an issue? Sure...just like its an issue in the Mustang. It just "feels" different because of the cockpit feel of the Camaro.
If that were true, we'd see it reflected in more mainstream designs.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:52 PM   #21
HeaterMan

Drives: 2018 PP GT
The best thing you can do is ignore all the opinions of the people here and go drive both cars on the same day with an open mind and make your own choice. of course the first thing is decide which one appeals to you the most visually. they both have their strong points and weak points..

2016 Scat Pack Challenger (gone 1-6-2018)
2013 Mustang GT Auto(sold)
2013 Track pack Mustang 5.0 (sold)
2011 Mustang 5.0 (sold)
2010 Camaro SS 6M ( sold)13.36 @109
HeaterMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:42 PM   #22
Wild One

Drives: 13ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaterMan View Post
The best thing you can do is ignore all the opinions of the people here and go drive both cars on the same day with an open mind and make your own choice. of course the first thing is decide which one appeals to you the most visually. they both have their strong points and weak points..

Except this one.
Wild One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:50 PM   #23
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
If that were true, we'd see it reflected in more mainstream designs.
It is true. The differences between the two car in both height and width are virtually non-existent. The height is 1.5 inches taller for the Mustang and .5 inch narrower for the Camaro. The Mustang is the same length as the Camaro as well....

The single two biggest differences are the higher beltline and the difference in how the cockpit is laid out. There isn't some magical difference in the vehicles. It just "feels" roomier thus giving you a more comfortable feel in the Mustang.

I'm not saying people dont have issues...but people have visibility issues in lots of vehicles.

The key is to always alter your mirrors and be smart about how you drive.

OP: Others have already said it, but definitely drive the two cars yourself. Some things are simply going to be deal breakers for you, and for me, the Mustang was a deal breaker...period.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:46 PM   #24
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Opinions can be very helpful. Especially from those of us who have owned both vehicles.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:02 PM   #25
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
If I got a GT, it would be a 16-17 GT Premium PP only because the 16s have the turn signal in the heat extractors and I would also want the extra two gauges. Plus the 16-17 is cheaper than the 18 so I wouldn't be as hesitant about blowing the warranty. I would throw a centri blower on it and then modify the suspension and tires. And that would be it.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:19 PM   #26
Wild One

Drives: 13ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Opinions can be very helpful. Especially from those of us who have owned both vehicles.
Can definitely narrow things down.
Ultimately to me I have to physically fit in the car being tall and broad....
Wild One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:40 PM   #27
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
I haven't driven a '18 yet, but my friend has a '17 Roush Stage 3 and sorry..............it doesn't come close to the Zl1. Every time I pull up, he's like..........fuk, I bought the wrong car. But, he's a Mustang fanboy, so it's hard for him to pull away from Ford.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:20 PM   #28
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Agreed. Opinions can be helpful, but only when you test drive both, you'll really get a feel for the cars and the decision will be much easier.

It's the opinions of others (friends, forums, car mags) that almost had me seal the deal on a Mustang.

I'm so glad I walked into that Chevy dealer and met a salesman itching to sell me a car. Within 10 mins I was thrown the key and told to take the wheel. After that drive, the decision was made.

I will admit though, my first choice was originally the Camaro SS. I really liked the look and wanted one. Now, I have no regrets.

You should have a first choice in your head already.. for whatever reason. The last thing you want to do, is make a hasty decision and end up regretting it. IMO, you should be biased somewhat to that first choice.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote