Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 01-19-2018, 10:04 AM   #1
MJP

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE Summit White
OnStar?

What good is it?
I received a phone call yesterday from OnStar regarding my complimentary 90 day free trial due to expire today.
When I was on the phone, I asked the sales guy to fill me in on the features that I don't already have without paying extra for OnStar.

Turn by turn Navigation. ( I have )
One or two hours free phone minutes. ( I already have unlimited ).
Air bag deployment 911 notification...
Auto theft vehicle shut down...
He stated that OnStar could remotely shut down my vehicle at the request of the Police during a pursuit.
I didn't think OnStar was able to do this, but according to the person on the phone they can.
MJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #2
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Yes, there are some anti-theft tracking and shutdown capabilities. You might want to take a look at their web site for all the services offered.

https://www.onstar.com

In the past I have enabled the location and anti-theft services for a month while I had the car out of town on a long trip.
Mark114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:57 AM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJP View Post
What good is it?
I received a phone call yesterday from OnStar regarding my complimentary 90 day free trial due to expire today.
When I was on the phone, I asked the sales guy to fill me in on the features that I don't already have without paying extra for OnStar.

Turn by turn Navigation. ( I have )
One or two hours free phone minutes. ( I already have unlimited ).
Air bag deployment 911 notification...
Auto theft vehicle shut down...
He stated that OnStar could remotely shut down my vehicle at the request of the Police during a pursuit.
I didn't think OnStar was able to do this, but according to the person on the phone they can.
Yup they can, but just at request from police. I love on Star, but it’s too expensive for the benefit....IMO
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #4
aland12345

Drives: 2016 Bright Yellow Camaro vert
I just get the basic 3 years of free On-Star. They email you once a month with the Diagnostics of your car. Tire pressure Oil Change info. I believe Recalls and various other maintenance info. Use the On-star app to lock unlock flash lights. Hey if it's free...
aland12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:58 PM   #5
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by aland12345 View Post
I just get the basic 3 years of free On-Star. They email you once a month with the Diagnostics of your car. Tire pressure Oil Change info. I believe Recalls and various other maintenance info. Use the On-star app to lock unlock flash lights. Hey if it's free...
Agree. That part is pretty cool. The subscription is kinda steep though when you go above basic.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:40 PM   #6
chris227

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
To expensive??? I've had another car stolen and onstar helped get it back in less than 2 hours. I've gotten more of a benefit out of onstar then i ever have from my car insurance, which cost a hell of alot more then onstar. It's piece of mind.You won't miss it till you need it. My 2010 camaro that i traded in to get my 2016 was stolen about 2 weeks ago from the guy who bought it from the dealer i traded it to. because he had never activated onstar hes screwed. Cars still gone. Would have it back by now if he had it. Worth every penny.
chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:34 AM   #7
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris227 View Post
To expensive??? I've had another car stolen and onstar helped get it back in less than 2 hours. I've gotten more of a benefit out of onstar then i ever have from my car insurance, which cost a hell of alot more then onstar. It's piece of mind.You won't miss it till you need it. My 2010 camaro that i traded in to get my 2016 was stolen about 2 weeks ago from the guy who bought it from the dealer i traded it to. because he had never activated onstar hes screwed. Cars still gone. Would have it back by now if he had it. Worth every penny.
Older cars with keyed ignition switches are easier to steal to begin with. To steal a 6th gen you either need a wireless code reader (which 99% of your average thugs who steal cars wouldn't have nor would they know how to use it), or you need to trailer it which would no doubt raise a few eyebrows if there's any people around (and OnStar theft recovery wouldn't help you anyway).

I removed my OnStar transceiver circuit board so they can no longer know where I'm at to begin with.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote