Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-21-2018, 11:18 AM   #15
Thill444

Drives: 2020 SS1LE Shadow Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBones81 View Post
I havent run into one on the street yet, but I wonder if my 1LE with a couple bolt ons could stay ahead of a stock c7...
It would probably me more of a drivers race than anything. I had a modifed SS (not Camaro) stay with me neck and neck. But he had more than a few simple mods.
Thill444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:33 PM   #16
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casalino View Post
Hold on....so the mustang was a bit weak on power......so you went with a focus st???? Am i missing something here?
Focus RS with AWD and more torque lower would be a lot of fun. Mustang is kind of hanging out in no-man's land where it has the power to run at high speeds, but not so much the suspension and ability to put it down in the turns. Focus can put the power down at the slower speeds and will be insanely fun IMO. Great little cars.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:55 PM   #17
R.C. Collins

Drives: 2017 Camaro
If you like the Focus ST and have the coin for a C7, why not step up to a Focus RS?
R.C. Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:54 AM   #18
BlueSteel07

Drives: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
I ended up finding a mint 1 owner, '15 Mustang GT PP w/cloth Recaros, only 5500 orig mi. Had nice mods: Whipple SC S2, Steeda lowered 1 inch, exhaust. Receipts for all mods as well and were done in reputable performance shops near me. A serious rocket and was thousands less than a 1SS or a new Mustang for that matter. I had an '08 GT, so I'm familiar with them. Never had one SC'd before....it's quite the experience.
How much did you have to pay for the Mustang, if you don't mind my asking? I might be interested in a SC Mustang in the future and was wondering how much one costs already modded. The Coyote seems to be pretty stout and can handle the boost.
BlueSteel07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:58 AM   #19
BlueSteel07

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I found that odd but have you driven a Focus ST? They are insanely fun to drive cars
I have an ST and it's somewhat fun but is definitely lacking in Power. Also the torque steer makes it horrible to drive the car fast on country roads. Torque Steer + Uneven road surfaces=Scary to drive. I do love the clutch feel and shifter.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:17 AM   #20
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
There are some things I prefer in the Camaro and some things I prefer in the Corvette. At the very least I think we can say they have never been so close before.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:38 AM   #21
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteel07 View Post
I have an ST and it's somewhat fun but is definitely lacking in Power. Also the torque steer makes it horrible to drive the car fast on country roads. Torque Steer + Uneven road surfaces=Scary to drive. I do love the clutch feel and shifter.
Can't say to that as I didn't get a ton of wheel time with it but as DD to me just seemed like it would be a blast
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:59 AM   #22
BlueSteel07

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Can't say to that as I didn't get a ton of wheel time with it but as DD to me just seemed like it would be a blast
It is fun and gets decent gas mileage. I don't know if my personal experience with the torque steer is typical but I have heard other people complain about it especially on rougher roads. It just really likes to follow grooves and the torque steer really magnifies it. It's only under hard Throttle or WOT. On smooth highways I don't notice it at all though. It's bad enough that I'm considering getting a different car like a camaro. My lifetime average in the ST is 26 mpg and that's with me hammering it a decent amount. The best I ever got was 32 mpg. It is a comfortable car with a tight steering feel. Good car except for that torque steer. That's probably why most people prefer RWD.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:40 AM   #23
Battlezone580

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 1969 Nova SS 396
In theory, your argument makes sense. However, to say what you said then end up with a Focus leaves us all confused. I hope you're happy with the focus not trying to be negative, they are fun cars to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.C. Collins View Post
If you like the Focus ST and have the coin for a C7, why not step up to a Focus RS?
I was thinking the same thing Collins. To go from a 450hp Muscle car to a 252hp Coupe seems like a strange transition.

18 ZL1 1LE|M6|Nav|PDR|CF Hood|CF WING|CF Dash|Tow Hook|
Battlezone580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:44 AM   #24
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Talking

I guess that probably the 6th. Gen Camaro SS 1LE because its improved chassis, lightweight, fine tuned suspension with its wider wheels and tires would be able to maybe keep up with the Stingray Z51 at the track, both have the same engine, but the Corvette is lighter, closer to the ground and much more aerodynamic.
From my own experience when I was driving my 5th gen Camaro ZL1 with a 580 HP engine, I tested the Stingray 460HP and it felt very strong and about the same power sensation because of its lightweight and closer to the ground driving feeling, I felt in love with is external exotic sport car / Batmobile design and the interior almost like a fighter jet look and the driving experience was awsome. It became my new sport car. I loved the Muscle car look and driving experience of my 5th gen ZL1, great car!, but the Stingray was too good in all aspects to let go.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 03-04-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:51 PM   #25
SD1

Drives: 17' GTI DSG SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
There are some things I prefer in the Camaro and some things I prefer in the Corvette. At the very least I think we can say they have never been so close before.
Unless you are talking about a 1LE they aren't that close, in a straight line yes, but a non 1LE, while still being a competent and fun hot rod, not going to keep pace with a Vette if the road bends. BUT, a ZL1 1 LE is actually FASTER than a GS Vette around VIR and it about the same price. Probably getter better discount on Vette though.

If you are buying a hot rod to go to weekend drags and to troll your local strip, Camaro is a great choice. Vette would get the nod for Road course and one upmanship at the golf course.
SD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:44 PM   #26
baron95
2018 1LE, NASA Instructor

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I sold a C7 Corvette Z51 (standard suspension, no Mags) and bought a 18 SS 1LE.

I love the Camaro - I think it is a lot of fun to drive. I won't be able to get it on a road course till late March/early April. But just from driving it on the street, I doubt very much the 1LE could keep up with the C7 Z51 for most drivers.

The C7 Z51/Grand Sport are astonishingly easy to get near the limit. The car is just too easy to drive fast. I always thought I was cheating when driving it on track.

The Camaro is much more of a hand full. The suspension will bounce and skip on bumps, the weight and size difference make placement more difficult, and you feel much higher from the road. It does not inspire as much confidence. It is more fun, because you have to drive it - just like old 911s were more fun than the newer ones - but not faster, unless you either have a ton of time in the car or are very skilled.

With the C7, my first session out at Lime Rock or NJMP set lap times as fast as after I had it for 3 seasons. On the Camaro, I feel it would take me quite sometime to feel comfortable pushing it.

I could be wrong - but that is my feeling going in.

Last edited by baron95; 03-08-2018 at 11:37 PM.
baron95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:26 PM   #27
SilverBlueSS

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 Hyper Blue
I'm fortunate to own both a 2015 Corvette ZF1(a partial Z51 package) 2Lt with NPP and a A8 along with a 2017 2SS also with the A8.

The Vette is Laguna Blue the SS is Hyper Blue.

Bone stock at the drag strip even with tires pressures at factory specks the Vette has run 11.70-80's at 120 mph. with 1.69-1.7060 foot times. in the 1/8 it goes 7.63 at 94.6 mph.

On the street the vette handles much more neutral and has pulled just over 1 G in cornering. The Camaro seems to loose the nose on hard cornering, I have seen some high .8 G's. The C7 also absorbs bumps much better that the SS, though the SS has improved with setting the tire pressure at 32 all the way around.

The Brembo brakes on the Camaro do feel better than the standard brakes C7.

So far my best times at the track with the SS are in the 12.40's with a 1.91 60ft and an 8.07 in the 1/8, mph's were 88.72 & 112.19 Completey bone stock. I hope to improve on that in the next week or 2.

As far as blind spots, they both have challenges, with the Camaro being considerably worse.

The sears are great in both.

Both are awesome cars and I toughly enjoy both for what they are. But with the Camaro being about 400 lbs heavier, that cost the SS a lot in many performance areas compared to the C7

I need to change my avatar, that's my old 2011 SS RS and my 08 C6...
SilverBlueSS is offline   Reply With Quote