Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 09-03-2017, 04:54 PM   #29
SDG23

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS M6
I don't really know if there would be a market for it, but if Chevy took the 4cyl turbo out of the Camaro and put it in a sport tuned Cruze, it may eat the Civic's lunch considering the turbo 4 Camaro is already faster or as fast as the new Type R. If Chevy did this and made it look tasteful and not riced out to the max like the Type R, I think they'd do well and it would be fun to drive...and probably a LOT cheaper.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:40 PM   #30
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDG23 View Post
I don't really know if there would be a market for it, but if Chevy took the 4cyl turbo out of the Camaro and put it in a sport tuned Cruze, it may eat the Civic's lunch considering the turbo 4 Camaro is already faster or as fast as the new Type R. If Chevy did this and made it look tasteful and not riced out to the max like the Type R, I think they'd do well and it would be fun to drive...and probably a LOT cheaper.
I was just looking around at reviews of the Type R, the only one that I could see that actually tested it (Car and Driver) put it at 5.1 seconds 0-60 & 13.5 in the 1/4. Thats a lot better than what the turbo Camaro is doing and about on par with the best runs in the V6.

Most of the other reviews were estimates and there wasn't a whole lot of consensus on 0-60 (with next to nothing for the 1/4). Some said low 5s, others mid, and others high. But still, if you take the average its still better than the turbo4 Camaros. Which makes sense considering that the Civic has ~10% more power than the Camaro while weighing ~10% less.

A Cruze SS would weigh about the same as the Civic type R, but be down ~30 hp. There is no obvious reason why anyone should expect it to be faster in a straight line.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:35 PM   #31
Risky Justice

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
At the end of the day, FWD sucks. Wheelhop, torque steer, and traction issues all day. The Camaro has a huge advantage being RWD, and should only have to worry about AWD turbo cars. Just need to mod it a little!
Old 09-04-2017, 12:28 PM   #32
kingbambino22

Drives: 2023Porsche Cayenne S
I still would take a Civic Type R over the 2.0t camaro any day.
kingbambino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:06 PM   #33
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan268 View Post
Not a fan of the design but all the rumour mills are pointing to the new civics being underrated from the factory. It's going to get real interesting in the econobox league.
The underated rice myth has an actually factual bases. But let my tackle the myth. 1) The engines are SAE certified. You are getting what you paid for period. The is ZERO change of rolling an under rated engine.
2) These ricers all dyno and the use STD as a correction factor which is unicorn HP, and correction factors are developed for NA engines and are not applicable to forced induction.

Not let me address the true part about the Type R myth. Even Road and Track noted that their production car was SIGNIFICANTLY slower than their sample car from Honda. Honda's Nurbering run with a "stock" Type R is not even closely repeatable with a production Type R.

At 36K plus 10 to 15K dealer markup I would not call the car an "econobox".

If Honda built a type R on the coupe or sedan, I would own one. But the hatch back is nothing but a hot mess.

I've owned and raced many Hondas. Currently own a sleeved 2.1 liter Integra type R at 2400 lbs and 275 HP at 9200 RPM... I call it the Challenger R/T eliminator.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:13 PM   #34
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky Justice View Post
At the end of the day, FWD sucks. Wheelhop, torque steer, and traction issues all day. The Camaro has a huge advantage being RWD, and should only have to worry about AWD turbo cars. Just need to mod it a little!

You don't know how good the Type R chassis is. A well driven R is a perfectly balanced and precision machine. Does it do drag strip launches? Not really. From a 5 mile roll is the any issues? nope. I race both RWD and FWD and even on the street a well driven Honda with decent tires can lay some smackdown. My ricer as 247 HP to the wheels, NA and 2400 lbs. My 2015 SI with supercharger is at 390 HP to the wheels and 3100 lbs. both are able to cut mid 4's zero to 60, my Integra Type R from a roll is as fast and as quick as my stock SS was the Civic, well lets just say that it does have torque steer and traction issues with any streetable tire to like 100 MPH of so. LOL
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:21 PM   #35
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Yeah and it’s a damn shame they ruined a great chassis with all that Factory_Rice(TM).
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:39 PM   #36
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
The closest Camaro competitor to the TypeR civic is without a doubt the 1LS V6 LE and not the 2.0 Turbo.
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:20 PM   #37
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzz View Post
The closest Camaro competitor to the TypeR civic is without a doubt the 1LS V6 LE and not the 2.0 Turbo.
Would love to see this comparison.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:11 PM   #38
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
Would love to see this comparison.
and the ecoboost with Performace Pack.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:29 PM   #39
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
if they would make a type R without the rice it would be a real contender and old guys wouldnt look stupid driving it.i looked at civic SIs before i bought my camaro,had a color and factory mags picked out,but headroom was nonexistent so it was a no go.my sons 1993 del sol is still running well and looks good,so honda does know how to bolt them together.
redcoats1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:23 PM   #40
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post
Must be a Transformer Car from their new movie. Surely cannot be a car that is sold to the public?!?!?
Actually, the tansformer car is better looking

I own an Integra Type R, sleeved 2.1, big cams 275 HP at 8800 RPM shift at 9500 ish. This is actually a torque setup.. 2400 lbs with A/C.. um Texas uknow.

This gawd awful Type R is so ugly I could not buy it. The sedan and coupe are much nicer platforms. The daughter acutally has a 4dr Civic with some carbon fiber stuff and nice SI 18" from 2015.

Performace, there is no denying all Rs are great cars to own and drive, really it was only with my gen 6 camaro with mods that I think the driving experience is the same as my 1998 Type R. It is such a shame Honda could have had a sales winner but choose a car too ugly for me to own.
[ATTACH]Name:  black spoiler civic 2016.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  84.9 KB[/ATTACH]
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #41
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
if they would make a type R without the rice it would be a real contender and old guys wouldnt look stupid driving it.i looked at civic SIs before i bought my camaro,had a color and factory mags picked out,but headroom was nonexistent so it was a no go.my sons 1993 del sol is still running well and looks good,so honda does know how to bolt them together.
Here are my cars[ATTACH][ATTACH]Name:  carbon civic small.png
Views: 421
Size:  21.4 KB[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2018, 01:43 PM   #42
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky Justice View Post
There is no torque steer or wheel hop FYI.