Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Thread Closed

Old 07-23-2017, 12:11 PM   #113
Paulbates455

Drives: a car
I've owned 2 mustangs. 2013 gt premium, 2016 gt premium pp fully loaded. I could launch the 13 and drive it hard all day with no problems. The 16 was a junker. Problem after problem. And the dealer was unhelpful to say the least. The side of the back bumper started to come off the car. That was it. I purchased a 16 2ss. The second day I had it the defroster running when the ac is on crap started to happen. Then the rear end groan. Changing the fluid seems to have stopped that for now. And the dealer tried to charge me $218 for that. Then the freaking torque converter went. All of this in the first six months. And put l less than 1000 miles per month on the car. And my average speed in the car is 26 mph. So it's pretty obvious that I don't rag the crap out of the car. The stock brakes on these cars suck. Period. Watch the Moterweek review on YouTube. I believe the words they used were "squishy brake pedal feel". If I have to do a couple of three hard stops, the pedal goes to the floor. I've read at least 2 to 3 other reviews of these cars and they agreed the stock brakes need improvement. Oh yea, I had to take it in for the clicking noise on the front brakes and they were awesome for like a week. Then back to normal cruddy brakes. I understand that these cars are made by flawed humans. But dadgum. The car was very expensive. So remember this when you're going to say mustangs, challengers, or chargers are cheap junkers. Because the camaro poop stinks just like any other American muscle car. And if you're going to respond to what I've said here, be an adult. I've already had cowardly keyboard warriors talk trash to me on this forum. That is so juvenile. I'm just stating facts here. Plain and simple. And mustangs are way cheaper to mod and there is much more choices as well. And Ford doesn't have the problem that GM does, which is thinking they sell a flawless product. I took my 13 mustang in to get the ac blower fixed after 3 years of owning the car. And I had put some mods on the car and they gave zero f@&$s. And fixed the problem under warranty. No loaner like Chevy though. And all of this the camaros can whoop other comparable cars is bs as well. There are YouTube videos that back me up on that too. Next car will be a Infiniti Q50 or the Lexus comparable model. 2 good friends of mine have 2014 and 2015 q50s. And they will hang right with any camaro, charger, mustang, or challenger. And neither of them have had ANY problems with those cars. I mean 0, goose egg, nada. And they put a lot of miles on their cars. Like 30k per year. I like the 16 camaro better than the 16 mustang power and handling wise. But the 6 piston Brembos brakes on that mustang had minimal pedal travel and stopped on a dime. The brakes on the camaro stink. And $2005 minimum for a big brake upgrade. For the willwoods. Just the fronts. And all of these muscle cars with minimal exceptions came with pizza cutter wheels and tires. The 1le would be an exception.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:49 PM   #114
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
no car is perfect..the camaro i give u that the brakes arnt so good...well more like the brembos on the mustang are awesome.
problem is that is the only thing good about them..i found the camaro so nice to drive..effortless..
Old 07-23-2017, 01:19 PM   #115
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Having to apply more pressure on the brake doesn't mean the brakes are shit. GT PP brakes are extremely grabby and many people don't like that either.

I had a 13 GT with Brembo package for 2 years and put 13k miles on it. The car took some abuse, but if I had to do it again, no way would I have chosen it over the 5th gen Camaro. I went with it because it felt more raw as it was lighter and had a live rear, but that's one of the biggest reasons I wouldn't choose it again.

My screen became delaminated and there was a TSB for it.. Guess what? Ford didn't want to fix it after a couple trips and I didn't pursue it further. Experienced the typical control arm squeaking. Guess what? There is a TSB for it, but I was just outside the 3 year warranty. Shifter/transmission was sloppy especially at high RPMs. I had a better dealership experience with a beater Cruze I had purchased with 85k miles, so it's just going to differ from person most likely.

Some people from both camps are exaggerating under this thread as far as S550 vs 6th gen goes. I think both cars are good, but one is simply a better performance car and it's not the one with the blue oval.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:38 PM   #116
Clin5910

Drives: 2016 2ss, whipple supercharged
My brakes work great. And carandriver would agree that they're pretty good considering during their testing against the mustang gt pp the camaro stopped from 70 mph in 147 feet, 10 less than the mustang.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:50 PM   #117
Paulbates455

It isn't simply applying more pressure to the pedal. As others on this forum have stated, they feel dangerous. Look it up. I have to jam the freaking pedal to the floor. You want to meet and drive the car be my guest. And the problem you mentioned about the control arms, they fixed that on my 13 with no problem. That was the 2, yes 2 times I took that car in for warranty work in 3 plus years. Part of being the superior performance car is to have not kinda good, but awesome brakes. And the brembos on the 13 and 14 mustangs are better than this crap they've put on these camaros. I've already taken this camaro in 3 times for warranty work. Look how long it takes for GM to even admit and issue a tsb for these cars. It takes freaking years dude, years. And I ain't no GM, Ford, or Dodge fanboy. Once I've paid off this car in the next 6 months and get my use out of it I'm done with pos American cars anyway. Everyone I know that drives A Toyota, Honda, Lexus, Or Infiniti has had freaking ZERO problems with their cars. One more time. ZERO problems. Here's the list.
Moms: 2013 Honda CRV. Zero problems.
Pops: 2015 Lexus 300 hybrid. Zero problems.
Brother in law: 2015 Toyota Tundra TRD 4x4 fully loaded. Zero problems.
Friend 1: 2014 Infiniti Q50S. Zero problems.
Friend 2: 2015 Infiniti Q50A. Zero problems.
And every freaking coworker I know that has a ricer. Zero problems.
I've got burned not once, but twice on American muscle cars. That's totally on me. 100% on me. It ain't gonna happen again. And I regret getting rid of that 13 mustang everyday. I like rust belt fantasies that aren't based on facts too. And if it such the superior car as you stated. Why is there a whole section with 25 plus pages on here about problems with these cars that cost between $37k and $50k? Oh yea, it's the same on the mustang and mopar forums as well. The brakes on these cars suck. Suck,suck, suck! Oh btw, the whole infotainment screen would go out in this camaro in the first 3 months that I had it about 3 or 4 times if I turned on the freaking windshield wipers. And the ac display on the infotainment screen goes out about 3 times a week. And look how Gm was in denial about the 2015 Z06s overheating. Same with this defroster ac issue on these camaros. That problem has been well documented for 2 plus years. And what, in the last 2 months they finally released a tsb about it. I'll admit it if I've made a mistake. Like a man should. GM doesn't do that. Cut and dry. Heck if Hyundai put that 429 hp 5.0 v8 they have in a genesis coupe, I would have bought one of those. But lost my dumba$$ on that 16 mustang, so I'm stuck with this superior camaro for a few years. Yay me, now I get to spend plus 2 racks on brakes that should have come on the freaking cars to begin with. On a mustang, you don't have to spend 2 plus racks just on front brakes. That would get you front and rear brakes. And Ford racing offers way more performance upgrades than Gm. And if the camaro is so superior out of the box, why do I see that Phasteck is still in business every time I drive by there. They are like a 10 minute drive from where I stay. They are really nice fellas. Met them at a car meet in a Lowes parking lot by the house. It was so nice driving to the funeral of a long time family friend in my superior camaro in March of this year. With the car vibrating like a washing machine with an unbalanced load in side of it. For 4 hours. Yea, that was awesome. Is there a tsb out about the torque converters yet? Is there one out for the rear differential moan? The long termer in motor trend had that problem too. Is there one out about the 15 other common problems with these cars? You know the ones that cost forty freaking five racks. Superior performance car. Ok. Mustang, camaro, challenger, charger= unreliable. Fun, but unreliable. In the comparison between the ZL1 and the Shelby GT350R in motor trend, they said the ZL1 brakes felt cruddy compared to the brakes on the GT350R. And the GT350R won the comparison. I have facts about crappy 6th gen camaro brakes for days. And why are y'all defending these cars so vehemently if you don't even own one?
Old 07-23-2017, 04:02 PM   #118
Zodiac
Sarcasm Personified

Drives: 2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Holy wall of text. I'm not even gonna bother killing my eyes trying to read that.

Again there is no such thing as a perfect car, especially one that is mass produced on an assembly line.

If we are gonna talk about S197 vs S550, I liked my S197 more. I guess because I ordered it the way I wanted and I had it modded to my taste. I regret selling it.

I'm happy now with my Scat Pack, if I had a need I wouldn't mind having a 1LE if they made an auto. My biggest fear with going back to GM cars is the dealership network is terrible. At least in my experience. Left a bad taste that I haven't been able to get over. Hell my parents have an 09 Traverse and that thing has had so many repairs this year for common issues it's terrifying. Thankfully they have an extended warranty.

I'm just glad to be out of a coupe with a 7 year old. He could at least fit in my Mustang, barely. The Camaro was a no go.

There is always going to be someone faster. Just be grateful we live in this time where we have the options of 400+ HP V8 cars at affordable prices.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:08 PM   #119
Paulbates455

I screwed up. Ole dude said "simply a better performance" car I thought he said,"superior performance car". My bad. Again, I screwed up.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:18 PM   #120
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I'm not talking about problems people have with cars. Every car will have problems. If you have problems, well that is what your warranty is for. If you go to the dealership and they say "no we aren't gonna fix it" and you throw your hands in the air and just walk away then that is on you. It is your job to go in there and present it and if they deny it, then it is your job to fight it.

My 5th Gen SS had Brembos and they worked perfectly. I never had an issue with the brakes on the S550 GT I had either. I think both cars had brakes that worked very well for the power they put out. Under extra power I think the stock brakes on the SS would have been than the stock brakes on the GT. I also felt that my SS was firm and held the ground really well in corners and well over 100. And the brakes brought the car to a stop or slowed it down very well. On the GT, it started to get light in the steering and kinda loose over 90 MPH. I went over that a few times. But I honestly never felt comfortable enough to go over 130 in that car.

I feel that the Mustang as it is, actually is a great car. I got my little brother to get one and he loves it. I felt that for the price, the warranty, and for getting a new car, it was a good deal. And I told him to do little mods like a cai, catback, and tune and after that just enjoy it and leave it alone.

And that is honestly what I feel Mustangs are good for. But if you wanna keep up with the SS and the SRTs, the Mustang needs lots of work and that is where you start running into problems from my experiences. Because it isn't just a matter of doing a few simple mods. You honestly have to do enough mods to void your warranty and then you have to mod the suspension and everything else to support it. All that to hang with or beat cars that are bone stock. And even then you run into issues. I think Mustangs are cheaply built. I the engine is pretty solid, but it is a bummer because you have to wind it out to get into the power band. For the first 3000-4000 RPMs it does not have a Muscle car feel. And even then they can't fully utilize all the power the engines make. If you just want something nice to cruise in but are not planning to do any real racing then you can get a Stang for cheap. If you plan to race then that thing needs a full renovation.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:21 PM   #121
BRMike

Drives: 2017 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbates455 View Post
Next car will be a Infiniti Q50 or the Lexus comparable model. 2 good friends of mine have 2014 and 2015 q50s. And they will hang right with any camaro, charger, mustang, or challenger.
I would be shocked to see an Infiniti sedan "hang" with a ZL1 or Hellcat, let alone the SS or 392. Nice cars, but let's not get crazy here.
2018 Kenetic Blue Metallic Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Crew Cab (8A)
Old 07-23-2017, 04:34 PM   #122
Paulbates455

You're right about the hellcats or ZL1. But they'll hang with an ss or a 392. They are underrated from the factory. The new red sports are stupid fast.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:36 PM   #123
Zodiac
Sarcasm Personified

Drives: 2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMike View Post
I would be shocked to see an Infiniti sedan "hang" with a ZL1 or Hellcat, let alone the SS or 392. Nice cars, but let's not get crazy here.
A Q50 Red Sport 400 or whatever is actually a decent performer. Not muscle car performance, but will still surprise some folks. Mid 4's 0-60 and high 12's low 13's 1/4. Never saw one run at the track though.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:50 PM   #124
BRMike

Drives: 2017 Corvette
Ah! I stand corrected.
2018 Kenetic Blue Metallic Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Crew Cab (8A)
Old 07-24-2017, 08:41 AM   #125
Skerj

Drives: 2016 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
My thoughts are 1: until Ford releases numbers, and tests are done, there's no need to be so vehement, 2: I hope Ford matches or bests the Camaros performance as it provides more choices, although they do have a lot of catching up to do, and 3: 2019 Camaro refresh is expected to get a power bump right? So likely any Mustang gains will be lost again.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:08 PM   #126
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Drives: Poop
0-60 in under 4 seconds. 460HP 420lbft tq.

"FASTER THAN YOU CAN READ THIS HEADLINE: NEW MUSTANG GT CAN GO 0-TO-60 MPH IN LESS THAN FOUR SECONDS
2018 Mustang GT in Drag Strip mode can reach 60 mph in under four seconds – faster than a Porsche 911 and setting a new standard as the fastest Mustang GT ever
Redesigned 5.0-liter V8 with all-new available 10-speed SelectShift® automatic sees power increased to 460 horsepower and 420 lb.-ft. of torque
Drag Strip mode optimizes torque, transmission and newly available custom-designed Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S tires to deliver maximum acceleration and performance in straight-line driving

DEARBORN, Mich., July 24, 2017 – Ford’s most advanced and powerful Mustang GT is also the fastest ever, achieving 0-to-60-mph in less than four seconds in Drag Strip mode.

The new Mustang is also faster than a $94,000 Porsche 911 Carrera, which Carl Widmann, Mustang chief engineer, attributes to five factors:
Improved horsepower and torque output of the redesigned 5.0-liter V8
Maximum acceleration of available Drag Strip mode
Quicker, smoother shifting of the available 10-speed SelectShift® transmission
Optimized traction courtesy of the available custom-designed Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S tires on new Performance Pack
“Typically, when you shift gears, you give up time,” said Widmann. “In Drag Strip mode, the engine torque doesn’t drop when you’re shifting. You get peak engine torque and horsepower straight through thanks to our new Ford-built 10-speed transmission.”

The car’s 5.0-liter V8 now features dual-fuel, high-pressure direct injection and low-pressure port fuel injection technology for increased power and efficiency. The engine’s 460 horsepower and 420 lb.-ft. of torque represent improvements over the current model’s 435 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. The result is an engine that delivers robust low-end torque, high-rpm power and improved fuel efficiency.

Drivers of EcoBoost®-equipped Mustang also will feel increased power on the strip. The retuned EcoBoost four-cylinder generates 310 horsepower and 350 lb.-ft. of torque – a 30 lb.-ft. gain over the current model. In Drag Strip mode with Performance Package and the 10-speed automatic, the 2018 EcoBoost-powered Mustang posts an impressive 0-to-60-mph time of under five seconds.

Drag Strip mode – one of five driver-selectable modes available for 2018 – has been designed to provide maximum acceleration and performance for straight-line driving. Drag Strip mode is primarily controlled by the transmission and delivers a significant acceleration boost, eliminating the lost time usually associated with automatic shifting.

The new 10-speed transmission, with a wide-ratio span and optimized gear spacing, helps deliver higher average power for acceleration – resulting in improved responsiveness and performance. The 10-speed architecture features Ford-patented power-flow and Ford-patented direct-acting hydraulic controls. It’s designed for optimum ratio progression and efficiency, and provides more accurate, quicker upshift and downshift capability.

In addition, an all-new electronic control system features real-time adaptive shift-scheduling algorithms engineered to help ensure the right gear is engaged at the right time, including skip-shift and direct downshift capability.

Compared to the outgoing six-speed, the new 10-speed automatic has quicker shift times and better low-speed tip-in response. It’s uniquely tuned for all five drive modes – normal, sport, track, Drag Strip and snow/wet. Steering wheel-mounted shift paddles allow drivers maximum manual control.

“Gearing matters, and in Drag Strip mode, this car launches better than ever off the line,” said Widmann.

Fans will be able to build and price their very own 2018 Mustang from July 25 by visiting www.ford.com/mustang/2018. New Mustang is due to reach showrooms this fall."

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...ustang-GT.html

https://youtu.be/QpErtgc9svg

Closed Thread