Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-17-2017, 05:14 PM   #15
1968ss350

Drives: 1968 Camaro SS 350
You cannot compare these cars! ZL1 is more like a turbo S. The SS would blow away the Cayman. Nice car but if it's power you're looking for then definitely don't chose the Cayman.

Hyper Blue 2SS/6 speed, NPP, MRC, Nav, 5LQ 6 piston brakes, Black split spoke, Magnuson 2300 Heartbeat Supercharger, Flowtie upper grill
1968ss350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:06 PM   #16
KenB925

Drives: Raptor
As everyone has said, very different cars.

I love Porsche, and I was actually planning on a 991 Turbo S before the ZL1 came out. The problem with the Porsche is I would not be comfortable parking it at work (I own a small business in the construction industry, and people are stupid, they give me shit for my Raptor when they drive up in a super duty that costs more), so it would never be driven, I feel like I can take a ZL1 anywhere.

Years ago, before kids in car seats, my brother and I both had Porsches, and we would occasionally get base Boxsters as loaners when our cars were in for service. They were slower then our cars, but they were so much fun, you can actually DRIVE them and wind the out on a back road because they don't have a ton of power.

I don't know how the new base 4 banger is (it makes me sad), but they are great fun to drive.

That being said, I wanted something that would do stupid burnouts and still be fun on track days, I am still waiting for my ZL1
KenB925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:08 PM   #17
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
I have a friend who had a Cayman S. Very underwhelming car. It's not a BAD car, but definitely more of a car for people who want to be seen in a porsche, but aren't necessarily car people. He has since moved onto a Maserati.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2017, 06:14 PM   #18
ZL1black
ZL1Black

Drives: 2017 ZL1 1973 Camaro Audi A8L 4.0
I had a C5 Z06 and was looking for something different. The Porsche dealer had a 2008 911 that I took for a drive and it was very nice. My son took me to drive a 15 Z28 and I was hooked. Ended up with a new ZL1 and love the car. My only negative is the dash / gage cluster design and I quickly get past this when I start the car.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:37 PM   #19
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarFlow1 View Post
I understand this is a Camaro forum and currently I am still working on getting a ZL1. However, I have been considering a back-up plan in the event that time isn't of the essence (given my situation)

Anyhow, what would you choose if given the option between the two and why? ZL1 or Cayman? Personally, I like them both although the Porsche would probably be better suited for a weekend toy, the aggressive sport-mode is fun.

Thank you.
I assume you are talking about a new 718 S (Cayman) that is a pretty sweet package, but a totally different approach to speed. The turbo makes a lot of torque and really makes the car fast. If you are talking about the base package or a 981 Cayman S I think the ZL1 would get the nod for sure. For the 981 it needs to be a GTS or GT4 to offer similar performance.

Both will be very fun cars and both could be daily driven. Really it is the scalpel versus the hammer - both can go fast around a track but have different approach. Value wise the ZL1 is the better value and likely will be more fun on the street given the massive power, which will put a smile on your face no matter where you are. Carving a mountain road the 718S will get the nod for fun and precision.

As noted above apples and oranges really.

I have both a GT4 and a 2015 Z/28. The ZL1 is a better street car than my Z/28, but the Z is a better track car, which is why I bought it.

If I could only have one (GT4 or Z/28) - I would keep the GT4. If I was comparing to the 718S I would keep the Z. So ZL1 would get my vote over a 718S.

So you have to decide what do you want, mid engine handling precision or brute force V8 power with a dose of serious handling thrown in?

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by Supercup; 04-18-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:49 PM   #20
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
I have both the Porsche GT3 and the 2017 ZL1. I have also owned the Boxster and been in a number of Cayman variants including the R.

The Cayman is a sweet car and not overpowered. It can be great on an Autocross course in the right hands. Good power... just not great power. Not much low end torque in the earlier versions, but it is a blast to rev. Also really good visibility. Holds the turns. Fun on a back road. Used to love the sound of the Boxster 6 cylinder engine (but that is history).. Great fun to finesse. GT4 aside, a bit of a momentum car. I have had luck with the Porsche dealership and service experience.

But here are the buts...

It does not feel particularly special like the Porsche GT cars or the ZL1. Low end Porsche verses high end Chevy?

The ZL1 with its low end torque will feel better driving around town (you have to zing up the Cayman to get a lot out of it which is fun, but makes you look like a lunatic driving through town at high revs or trying to get ahead of granny at the stop light.) The newer turbo charged versions fix the low end torque a bit, but still provide only reasonable HP and torque compared to even a base Camaro SS.

The ZL1 sounds better.

I believe the ride in the ZL1 is better. Suspension is compliant... seats are great.

The ZL1 feels like it has exponentially more power and that is fun and rewarding.

The ZL1 gives you all of the options, mostly for the base price. With Porsche, you can double the price of the car if you go nuts with options, and some expensive ones, you want.

No performance data recorder available with the Cayman.

Surprisingly, it feels like equal build quality.

Most likely more service options at lower costs.

Much more capability to modify for reasonable money.

my 2 cents...

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:55 PM   #21
BRMike

Drives: 2017 Corvette
I started looking at the Cayman, but by the time I optioned it up, it was much more than I wanted to spend. I ended up going with a Corvette. I just felt I got more for my money.
2018 Kenetic Blue Metallic Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Crew Cab (8A)
BRMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:58 PM   #22
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMike View Post
I started looking at the Cayman, but by the time I optioned it up, it was much more than I wanted to spend. I ended up going with a Corvette. I just felt I got more for my money.
Porsche options will kill you!

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:15 PM   #23
Stoner

Drives: 2017 ZL1 HBM, M6
Have you ever taken I Porsche in for service???? I have yet to get back out the door for less then 1,500.00. And that was a service with no repair. After warranty expired the cheepest out the door service with any minor repair is in the 2,500.00 range. I have never paid that kind of service bill for any of my other vehicles, including my Mercedes. Just something to consider.
Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:21 PM   #24
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Two complete different worlds, and this is coming from a current Audi SQ5 owner with some mods that has 370hp and AWD. You are talking about a light weight Porsche with low HP and great handling along with a high sticker price versus a 4k pound Camaro with 650hp/650tq and a reasonable sticker price that can still dance around the dance floor with the Porsche Cayman.

Even the new Cayman that will have 400hp still wont be in the same league as the ZL1, but what league that is depends on what you are after. If you want a ultra refined haughty taughty nose up in the air socialite who will need tons of high maintenance then the Porsche is your calling.

If you want that hot girl that turns heads no matter what she wears, isnt worried about getting her hands dirty, lets the occasional foul word slip out of her mouth, is a little rough around the edges, and is the envy of all of your friends then the ZL1 is where you need to be.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:24 PM   #25
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
Have you ever taken I Porsche in for service???? I have yet to get back out the door for less then 1,500.00. And that was a service with no repair. After warranty expired the cheepest out the door service with any minor repair is in the 2,500.00 range. I have never paid that kind of service bill for any of my other vehicles, including my Mercedes. Just something to consider.

Quoted for the truth.

When we bought our 2016 Audi SQ5 and came up on the 15k mile service I asked the local Audi dealer for a quote on the job, they told me almost $1k out the door to change the oil, oil filter, cabin air filter and then to touch a bunch of nuts and bolts to make sure they were tight and send me on my way. Most of the job was labor charges only. I bought the materials myself and came out only spending $130 and did it in my own garage.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:07 PM   #26
CarFlow1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 (Summit White)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Two complete different worlds, and this is coming from a current Audi SQ5 owner with some mods that has 370hp and AWD. You are talking about a light weight Porsche with low HP and great handling along with a high sticker price versus a 4k pound Camaro with 650hp/650tq and a reasonable sticker price that can still dance around the dance floor with the Porsche Cayman.

Even the new Cayman that will have 400hp still wont be in the same league as the ZL1, but what league that is depends on what you are after. If you want a ultra refined haughty taughty nose up in the air socialite who will need tons of high maintenance then the Porsche is your calling.

If you want that hot girl that turns heads no matter what she wears, isnt worried about getting her hands dirty, lets the occasional foul word slip out of her mouth, is a little rough around the edges, and is the envy of all of your friends then the ZL1 is where you need to be.

This comment was brilliant! lol ZL1 it is
CarFlow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:08 PM   #27
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Porsche's have tremendous engineering and are light and quick drivers. Previous Caymans (pre-2017) developed power and torque in the high end RPM's. The PDK has instant shifts. The new 718 with the turbo four developes torque in the lower RPM range and helps make the car quicker from a stop. It is a fun car, especially the Boxster with the drop top that really enjoys being thrown around. The sound between the older 6 cylinder and the new turbo 4 is very different. I still think the turbo 4 sounds a lot like a an older VW bug. The older 6 just had a sexier sound. But....

If you grew up with American V8 power, nothing else really sounds as good. The ZL1 is an amazing car that for speed and power cannot be matched without spending a lot of money. You would have to step up to a 911 GTS to start getting close to the speed and power of a ZL1. But you still would not have HUD, ventilated suede seats and would cost an extra $100,000 with the same options. Porsche builds a really nice car with prestige and $200.00 oil changes. The ZL1 can compete with the best cars in the world.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:08 PM   #28
mr965

Drives: ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreSpeed View Post
I have both the Porsche GT3 and the 2017 ZL1. I have also owned the Boxster and been in a number of Cayman variants including the R.

The Cayman is a sweet car and not overpowered. It can be great on an Autocross course in the right hands. Good power... just not great power. Not much low end torque in the earlier versions, but it is a blast to rev. Also really good visibility. Holds the turns. Fun on a back road. Used to love the sound of the Boxster 6 cylinder engine (but that is history).. Great fun to finesse. GT4 aside, a bit of a momentum car. I have had luck with the Porsche dealership and service experience.

But here are the buts...

It does not feel particularly special like the Porsche GT cars or the ZL1. Low end Porsche verses high end Chevy?

The ZL1 with its low end torque will feel better driving around town (you have to zing up the Cayman to get a lot out of it which is fun, but makes you look like a lunatic driving through town at high revs or trying to get ahead of granny at the stop light.) The newer turbo charged versions fix the low end torque a bit, but still provide only reasonable HP and torque compared to even a base Camaro SS.

The ZL1 sounds better.

I believe the ride in the ZL1 is better. Suspension is compliant... seats are great.

The ZL1 feels like it has exponentially more power and that is fun and rewarding.

The ZL1 gives you all of the options, mostly for the base price. With Porsche, you can double the price of the car if you go nuts with options, and some expensive ones, you want.

No performance data recorder available with the Cayman.

Surprisingly, it feels like equal build quality.

Most likely more service options at lower costs.

Much more capability to modify for reasonable money.

my 2 cents...
All this is the truth!
mr965 is offline   Reply With Quote