Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-23-2018, 09:03 AM   #29
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I'd have to wonder if there aren't any good aftermarket setups? If you don't have enough braking and want to/need to upgrade, you can usually do better than the cost-cutting OEM stuff and get a significant improvement by going aftermarket, often without drawbacks such as massively increased weight or marginal improvement.
Forged monoblock calipers and floating rotors aren't in the "cost cutting" category. I'm guessing you're talking about the lower-end auto industry in general and not Camaro 1LE (or any car with actually good hardware).

The reason there is so little braking aftermarket is because the factory Brembo's are that good.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:22 AM   #30
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaphfireSS View Post
There is absolutely no logical reason to change to ZL1 brakes on a 1LE. The reason that ZL1's have larger brakes is because it's a heavier car. And that is one reason that it's heavier because of the front rotors. On a 1LE you have ample braking with oem package. You DO NOT want more unsprung weight on the front of a 1LE. Unless you want to go slower.

The GT4 Camaro weighs a bit over 3100 lbs. Fronts are 15" Brembo Motorsports (according to the Brembo Racing catalog) and the rears are ZL1 14.4".
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:31 PM   #31
Rutkowski

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Just finished up my J6H install this weekend. I totally forgot to weigh the rotors though, doh. I have to give GM props for the hydraulic line fitting location, it results in minimal fluid loss and thus minimal air ingestion. Even with the new hardware I only needed 0.8 liters for a flush. It's interesting the two setups use different part numbers for the rear hoses, because they appear otherwise identical. The J6H front rotor shield is even smaller than the J6M's already minimal shield.

Pedal feel during the test drive felt identical to the J6M's, unsurprisingly. I'm looking forward to less than 450°F caliper temps on-track this year.
Hey Ryephile, did you ever have to change the piston seals for your J6M setup? My mechanic just told me my seals have melted a bit, which caused slight change of the piston position leading to the uneven pad wear. I can’t find any replacement parts for the 1le brakes though :/ Did u have the same issue or did the seals survive the high temps?
Rutkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:44 PM   #32
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutkowski View Post
Hey Ryephile, did you ever have to change the piston seals for your J6M setup? My mechanic just told me my seals have melted a bit, which caused slight change of the piston position leading to the uneven pad wear. I can’t find any replacement parts for the 1le brakes though :/ Did u have the same issue or did the seals survive the high temps?
I have a set of new dust boots on the shelf, but there's no point in giving the part number because I haven't yet verified they're correct.

Yes, I scorched the dust boots on my J6M brakes, not the seals. If you hurt the seals, you'd be leaking brake fluid. Is that happening? I didn't encounter that, just the dust boots.

Uneven pad wear isn't necessarily a problem, it just means it's a slight pad mu mis-match to the differential piston bores. I wouldn't worry about that as there's nothing you can really do about it, just run the pad you want.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:17 PM   #33
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:

Uneven pad wear isn't necessarily a problem, it just means it's a slight pad mu mis-match to the differential piston bores. I wouldn't worry about that as there's nothing you can really do about it, just run the pad you want.
I thought you could try to flip the pads, so if the worn out part was the bottom, now it will be at the top.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:22 AM   #34
Rutkowski

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Hyper Blue
Quote:
I have a set of new dust boots on the shelf, but there's no point in giving the part number because I haven't yet verified they're correct.

Yes, I scorched the dust boots on my J6M brakes, not the seals. If you hurt the seals, you'd be leaking brake fluid. Is that happening? I didn't encounter that, just the dust boots.

You’re totally right, that was lost in translation I’ll check how bad it is when I pick the car later and see if I can find some new boots. Rockauto might have sth. Thanks!
Rutkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:23 AM   #35
SaphfireSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE SS
Has anyone actually had brake overtemp issues with oem 1LE system running race brake fluid? I haven't and I've driven many track days and have 32k miles in 1.5 years.
SaphfireSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:26 AM   #36
SaphfireSS

Oh yeah just FYI I run Hawk DTC-60 Pads on track and they work great!!! Along with DBA rotors. And just another point there is plenty enough rear brakes as well. And I also run 200tw tires. Oem brake system will outperform any 200tw tire on the market.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:23 PM   #37
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
That's not the whole story...I agree with RUQWIKR.

There are other reasons to go bigger....thermal capacity, heat dissipation, swept area = more braking force. All of these things become more helpful the faster you go...and since the ZL1 is capable of higher speeds, pulling a car down from 140 is much different than from 120, for example. So I'd argue the weight factor is lower on the list...higher speeds is probably #1 or #2.

That said, you are right that the OE braking system on the SS 1LE is very well suited to that vehicle...an upgrade to more aggressive pads will net far better results than an expensive upgrade to the OE ZL1 brakes.
Your last paragraph is music to my ears. It is so nice to see GM build a complete car in every performance section.

I loved my C5 Z06 from a performance standpoint, but back then they only did what was minimally required. The rotors would constantly warp, the clutch pedal would stick to the floor because it would get too hot, etc.

My view point on the SS 1LE and the ZL1 1LE is that it is properly engineered now in every important area, almost like how Porsche does with their cars, although Porsche takes it a step further and over engineers their cars, but you pay 3 times as much for them.

Sorry OP for the side track, I just wanted to give props to GM for building a proper track car with proper components right off the showroom floor.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:34 AM   #38
Atlas24601

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Just to put the gen 6 SS 1LE braking in perspective check out this list of the best braking cars. The gen 6 SS 1LE is only beaten by some racecars that shouldnt have even been included on that list, gen 7 wide body Corvettes, the gen 6 ZL1 1LE, the Viper ACR, 991.2 911 Turbo S, the Ferrari LaFerrari, and the Lamborghini Sesto Elemento. Other than changing the brake fluid for track use as recommended in the owners manual I dont see any reason why it would be worth messing with the brakes. You will probably just end up making things worse. Also worth noting is that most of those cars that beat the gen 6 SS 1LE in braking are running R compound tires.

http://fastestlaps.com/lists/top-qui...stoppers-60mph
Atlas24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:39 AM   #39
Atlas24601

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Off topic, but also worth noting is how great the gen 6 SS 1LE is on the skidpad. Again pretty much only beaten by wide body gen 7 Corvettes, the gen 6 ZL1 1LE, and supercars/hypercars mostly running R compound tires...

http://fastestlaps.com/lists/top-grip-kings
Atlas24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:06 AM   #40
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas24601 View Post
Just to put the gen 6 SS 1LE braking in perspective check out this list of the best braking cars. The gen 6 SS 1LE is only beaten by some racecars that shouldnt have even been included on that list, gen 7 wide body Corvettes, the gen 6 ZL1 1LE, the Viper ACR, 991.2 911 Turbo S, the Ferrari LaFerrari, and the Lamborghini Sesto Elemento. Other than changing the brake fluid for track use as recommended in the owners manual I dont see any reason why it would be worth messing with the brakes. You will probably just end up making things worse. Also worth noting is that most of those cars that beat the gen 6 SS 1LE in braking are running R compound tires.

http://fastestlaps.com/lists/top-qui...stoppers-60mph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas24601 View Post
Off topic, but also worth noting is how great the gen 6 SS 1LE is on the skidpad. Again pretty much only beaten by wide body gen 7 Corvettes, the gen 6 ZL1 1LE, and supercars/hypercars mostly running R compound tires...

http://fastestlaps.com/lists/top-grip-kings
Two of the reasons I have a 1LE in my garage.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:17 AM   #41
SaphfireSS

And there is the reason to NOT change brakes on 1LE. MY GUESS IS ABS will see an effect if you do as well. And the only way to compare is track times and temp. checks.
Old 10-17-2023, 11:11 PM   #42
GTO_Gregory

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Thumbs up

Have you guys ever considered AP Racing setups? They have packages for the Camaro with specially made calipers and three rotor versions with different diameters and thickness. About 7K for both front corners. A little over 5K for the rear corners.

Here's a link for the American Essex site that offers the Camaro packages along with some good reading. https://www.essexparts.com/video-ap-...r-gen6-camaros

Disc weights are listed at the same link.

When the factory parts smoke and fade, check out AP Racing.
2006 Quicksilver 6-speed GTO ERL LS3-430, All-Pro 285cc heads, 262/273 .758/.742 116+3 cam, Sheet-metal Intake, 70lb Siemens injectors, SLP, GMM Ripshifter, QA1 Coil-overs front and rear, nylon suspension bushings, Hotchkis, RPM Trans, SPEC twin clutch, SpinTech, Kooks 1 7/8 -2.0", BMR drive train, Kaaz 3.91, Lingenfelter CAI, Baer brakes, mini-tubs, E85.
GTO_Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote