Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-31-2018, 03:35 PM   #43
MJP

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE Summit White
I'm sorta at odds at lifting her one full side at a time as well.
My 12 Corvette had a aluminum cross member up front.
What I did was cut a 2x6" 2' in length.
I then cut two 6x6" square pieces and screwed one under each end of the 2x6".
Placed the 2x6" with the screwed 6x6" pieces facing up to the cross member and centered my floor jack in the middle, thus distributing the pressure across the cross member.
The vette was lower than my 1LE, I rode up on ramps beforehand which gave me plenty of room to roll the jack under.
I actually used two floor jacks that day.
My wife pumped the one in the rear, I did the front.
We both pumped evenly until the car was close to 30" off the ground.
I changed my complete exhaust. You have to have the rear end up this high so you can swing the rear tailpipes with mufflers attached over and around the rear end.
MJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:10 PM   #44
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
I bought 4 harbor freight jacks and lift the car front 1st then rear. each side evenly. then use the ZL1 jack locks. There is no place except the pinch welds to lift the front of a camaro. Its all covered by plastic and aluminum that will not support the weight. You can use the rear crossover behind the diff to lift the rear.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:24 PM   #45
aronSlusa

Drives: '16 2SS
While repairing and building up some stuff on the car the last two weeks, the front was left up in the air for a while supported by the zl1 addon lift points. No issues, and left it sit in the valley of the jack stand the whole time, just lowered it slowly one side at a time and had no issues whatsoever. Worked perfectly and got the job done right the first time!

Strongly recommend anyone pick these up if they’re even on the fence, just do it. They’ll come in handy.
aronSlusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:41 PM   #46
GPz1100

Drives: 97 Z28 6MT, '12 G37 6MT
@MJP can you post a pic of this contraption?

What's the jacking point in the rear? Under the diff?
GPz1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:57 PM   #47
JCunningham

Attached Images

real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 01-31-2018, 08:25 PM   #48
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
NEVER put your jack stands at that direction. You have to fit them just right so you don't hit the rocker panel. If it slides off you will damage your rocker panel and possible put a nice dent in the quarter panel.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:30 PM   #49
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
I bought 4 harbor freight jacks and lift the car front 1st then rear. each side evenly. then use the ZL1 jack locks. There is no place except the pinch welds to lift the front of a camaro. Its all covered by plastic and aluminum that will not support the weight. You can use the rear crossover behind the diff to lift the rear.
There is an additional lift point under the engine. Shows in the owners manual. I used the back end lift point but could not get the car high enough to get jack stands under the rear. I didn't feel too good about using any blocks under the jack to get the car up higher.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:08 PM   #50
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
There is an additional lift point under the engine. Shows in the owners manual. I used the back end lift point but could not get the car high enough to get jack stands under the rear. I didn't feel too good about using any blocks under the jack to get the car up higher.
That lift point in the front is not exposed on the V8 (SS & ZL1) cars that come equipped with the aluminum sheer panel. It's not practical to remove the sheer panel for access.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:19 PM   #51
JCunningham

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
That lift point in the front is not exposed on the V8 (SS & ZL1) cars that come equipped with the aluminum sheer panel. It's not practical to remove the sheer panel for access.
you have to be under the car to remove it. its around 20 bolts to remove it
Old 02-01-2018, 05:08 AM   #52
MJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
@MJP can you post a pic of this contraption?

What's the jacking point in the rear? Under the diff?
It's just a 2' long 2"x6". ( drawn image below )
I cut two 6"x6" squares and screwed them under each end of the board to work as lifting pads.
I then placed the board with the "6x6" side against the cross member.
The lifting pad on my floor jack I placed in the middle of the board.
Photo's of the C6 vette and our 6th Gen Camaro underneath and where I lifted the Vette and where I was thinking of the lifting the Camaro.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2018, 12:18 PM   #53
GPz1100

Drives: 97 Z28 6MT, '12 G37 6MT
Thanks. I think I understand. So in the front the cross member (2nd pic) is the item with the blue X,in the rear, the red square, correct?

6"x6" pads fit into the recesses (here's another pic from elsewhere on this site http://www.camaro6.com/forums/attach...1&d=1459274274 )
GPz1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:37 PM   #54
MJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
Thanks. I think I understand. So in the front the cross member (2nd pic) is the item with the blue X,in the rear, the red square, correct?

6"x6" pads fit into the recesses (here's another pic from elsewhere on this site http://www.camaro6.com/forums/attach...1&d=1459274274 )
I don't think it should matter if it fits perfectly in the recesses. I'm just thinking of a general idea similar to how how I lifted the vette.
When you look at the photo of the Camaro underside, the front cross member only has the web part exposed. The plastic hides what the cross member really looks like.
I'm guessing the ends - sides are flanged similar to the Corvette cross member for strength.
If not, and it's a flat piece of aluminum " which I seriously doubt " she would definitely be to weak to lift the car up from that spot.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:09 AM   #55
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Has anyone tried these jack stand pinch-weld adapters?

https://www.amazon.com/Compatible-Ad...e-74c795fd912d
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:12 AM   #56
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
I just recently installed an axle back exhaust. I lifted the car from the differential and placed a jack stand on each side of the car on the "sub frame". This is a pic of the passenger rear point by the pinch weld. Same would go for the other 3 pinch point locations. No worries!
Attached Images

SSShark is offline   Reply With Quote