Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-18-2022, 01:31 PM   #43
daltron

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
See this post if interested in selling:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601155

Some tips on getting the old tires in the car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549216

I would suggest selling the run-flats based on how you described yourself. The advantages of those tires in summer are minimal, and there are clear problems keeping them on in winter as well as noise and wet traction issues.
Thanks for that thread! I actually saw the classified for that post a couple days ago and emailed him. Still waiting to hear back 😁
daltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:22 AM   #44
Nilly Welson

Drives: Camaro Super Sport, Six on the Stik
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltron View Post
I'm getting ready to pick up my Camaro 2SS which has stock summer tires on Monday in Chicago which is going to be in the 20-30 degrees range. I've been doing a lot of research and the consensus it to absolutely not drive summer tires in these kind of temperatures under any circumstances even on straight interstates. I do not plan on doing any kind of hotrodding on my way back but this has me absolutely scared to drive back home as I do not want to risk losing control.

Is my only option to have all season tires put on by the dealership right then and there? It would be an additional $1200 but I think I may be able to recover a good chunk of that by selling the stock ones (only 53 miles).

Heck no, its totally fine. I drove my SS 6 speed on the stock summer tires for 2.5 winter in freezing weather. Its fun. Just don't turn off stabilitrac because if you get a little sideways stab will straighten you back up. Keep it parked with snow on the ground though because you won't get far.

Last edited by Nilly Welson; 01-19-2022 at 12:24 AM. Reason: ss
Nilly Welson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:54 AM   #45
Phil zl1

Drives: 2022 zl1
Seriously if the ground is dry and you are simply driving it home what s the problem?
Phil zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:11 AM   #46
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil zl1 View Post
Seriously if the ground is dry and you are simply driving it home what's the problem?
The OP is asking about freezing temperatures. Let's call that 32 deg F.
I can assure you the stock summer tires will slide on seal-coated asphalt at 32 degrees. That's exactly how I realized I needed to park the car or change the tires.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:29 AM   #47
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil zl1 View Post
Seriously if the ground is dry and you are simply driving it home what s the problem?
Why... If the manufacturer of the summer only tires recommends you not drive the car on their tires under 40 degrees... and it's 32 degrees... I'd follow their recommendation. I mean they are the engineers that designed the tires... Not me. But that's just me... It's all good until it isn't right.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:44 AM   #48
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
The OP is asking about freezing temperatures. Let's call that 32 deg F.
I can assure you the stock summer tires will slide on seal-coated asphalt at 32 degrees. That's exactly how I realized I needed to park the car or change the tires.
^This

Even on dry cold pavement those tires will break loose like a laxative before you knew what happened.

Its ok to drive on cold dry pavement, but if it is cold wet/snow forget it. You won't go anywhere even if you use snow/ice mode.

One inclined stop sign or traffic light and you'll be pushing the car via shoe leather express.
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:31 AM   #49
NotFast

Drives: 2021 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltron View Post
Thanks to everyone for the advice. With 250+ miles between the dealership and home, I decided it wasn't worth the stress to drive on the stock tires. I'm putting on a fresh pair of all season Continental DWS06 Plus as soon as I leave the dealership before I make the maiden voyage home.

Excellent choice. I white knuckled an S2000 for ~ 10 miles on summer tires many years back here in the Chicago area and it sucked. I also spun out my Corvette under partial power once on a sunny but cold winter day.
NotFast is offline   Reply With Quote