Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 10-01-2021, 02:08 PM   #253
Bigtime32

Drives: 17 2SS
Alright. I appreciate your guys input. I shouldn’t be doing any stopping except for a few stops for fuel and food. It’ll be mainly highway cruising and fuel stops.
It’ll probably be fine and im just over reacting and worrying about it. Lol
Bigtime32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 05:07 PM   #254
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
Geoff, don't doubt it - put the ground cable on. This is an issue of too much resistance in the electron flow between the battery and the starter caused by both a heat soaked starter compounded by a poor ground. Improving the ground with an additional cable is enough of a reduction in resistance to make a difference. I and many others have cured this with an added ground cable. Many people have gone the new battery route (including me) and/or a new starter and have ended after a while right back in the slow crank club.

I have had at least a hundred hot engine starts since adding the cable - not one of them has been a slow crank. And that is with the original starter and a 2 year old battery.
It doesn't' explain why it is so intermittent though. That is where I am stuck in going all-in on the ground strap solution. I will try it though, but mostly out of desperation.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 06:42 PM   #255
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
It doesn't' explain why it is so intermittent though. That is where I am stuck in going all-in on the ground strap solution. I will try it though, but mostly out of desperation.

-Geoff
I was skeptical too. Read my first post - I was desperate and going to sell the car. The added cable changes all that.

When you say intermittent - how are the cold starts? When it does slow crank - is it on a fully warmed engine and happens when the restart is within 5-10 minutes of stopping - especially with multiple stop/starts? For me nd many others each restart would get worse once the first slow crank happened until the engine was fully cooled down. That was my situation and the ground cable was the only change I made to fix it.

Try it. You already have the cable and it takes 10 minutes to put on. Please report back. And good luck - this is a very frustrating problem!

note: If you use the engine block connection point I used - please read the entire first post before you start.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 08:36 AM   #256
oOKhanhOo

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by oOKhanhOo View Post
I haven't changed it out yet. but lately the car has been starting up cold and warm/hot start just find. as if it never had the starting problem. I wonder if me adding a ground wire from battery to an existing ground post in the trunk helped the vehicle recharge properly? I should get the battery tested again.

I have ground from negative post in the engine bay to engine and ground from battery to existing chassis post in the trunk.
Update: The original battery finally gave out. Didn’t provide enough voltage under load. The original battery was about 3 years old. Went to Walmart and bought their Everstart Maxx H6 battery. It has been starting up normal.
oOKhanhOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 12:10 PM   #257
randypipe

Drives: Muscle
I'm trying to install hex flange bolt from backside of water pump housing. NO GO the hax flange bolt I bought at Autozone has about a 1/2 inch non-threaded area below the head of the bolt this hits the housing threads before the bolt is fully seated
randypipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 01:55 PM   #258
SSDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by randypipe View Post
I'm trying to install hex flange bolt from backside of water pump housing. NO GO the hax flange bolt I bought at Autozone has about a 1/2 inch non-threaded area below the head of the bolt this hits the housing threads before the bolt is fully seated
Yep, you are going to need a bolt with full thread if you use that location to connect the ground cable. Once you get the right bolt you should be good to go.

476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
Old 10-10-2021, 07:20 PM   #259
randypipe

Drives: Muscle
Starter Heat Soak Bolts

The Bolt on the far left is the original bolt that I backed out from the water pump housing The bolt in the middle (AutoZone #006060 is the bolt that was shown a few pages back as the replacement bolt to be used to attach the 21"ground wire I bought. I don't know whether the packaging was mismarked or what, but this bolt will not work since the threads do not extend all the way to the head of bolt. The far right bolt (Autozone #006050) is the bolt that I ended up successfully using today on my 1le. Being that it is only 35mm long you will only be able to fit a washer and one nut not two. for a second nut you will need 40mm length. Hopefully this will fix the slow starter when hot, only time will tell.
Attached Images

randypipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 06:06 PM   #260
SSUNDVL

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
First time this car has almost left me stranded, thinking I might have a short in the ground cable and going to look more into it this weekend and install extra ground cable. Negative battery cable was 143 degrees according to my ir thermometer and car would not start, got a crank sensor light code and right before I shut car down to go into store rpm signal was not reading. I had some plastic burning smell near battery and in engine bay. Should have looked worked on this when I started getting slow starts a year ago lol

Didn't have any tools on me besides IR thermometer but all grounds appear tight, after letting car cool down for 30 minute it started up and drove fine. Cleared code, rpm signal was back.
SSUNDVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 02:15 PM   #261
SSUNDVL

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSUNDVL View Post
First time this car has almost left me stranded, thinking I might have a short in the ground cable and going to look more into it this weekend and install extra ground cable. Negative battery cable was 143 degrees according to my ir thermometer and car would not start, got a crank sensor light code and right before I shut car down to go into store rpm signal was not reading. I had some plastic burning smell near battery and in engine bay. Should have looked worked on this when I started getting slow starts a year ago lol

Didn't have any tools on me besides IR thermometer but all grounds appear tight, after letting car cool down for 30 minute it started up and drove fine. Cleared code, rpm signal was back.
Just to follow up on my last post, added ground wire to water pump spot and car has been flawless since with lots of testing. No more weird electrical gremlins lack jumping tach, slow starts or problem codes. Hope it stays that way

This thread should probably be a sticky.
SSUNDVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 10:27 PM   #262
Aaron07

Drives: 2017 2SS F1FTY
Quote:
The Bolt on the far left is the original bolt that I backed out from the water pump housing The bolt in the middle (AutoZone #006060 is the bolt that was shown a few pages back as the replacement bolt to be used to attach the 21"ground wire I bought. I don't know whether the packaging was mismarked or what, but this bolt will not work since the threads do not extend all the way to the head of bolt. The far right bolt (Autozone #006050) is the bolt that I ended up successfully using today on my 1le. Being that it is only 35mm long you will only be able to fit a washer and one nut not two. for a second nut you will need 40mm length. Hopefully this will fix the slow starter when hot, only time will tell.
Excellent information, thank you.
2017 2SS F1FTY/HUD/Mag Ride/NPP/Nav/M6/Mishimoto catch can/BTR stage 2 Cam kit/GPI ported LT2 IM and 95mm TB/Roto Fab CAI/Kooks Long Tubes ceramic coated/Borla S Type NPP catback/AFE lowering springs/1LE wheels/OEM smoked tail lights/Diode Dynamics side markers/Uniden R7/3D Maxpider floor mats/Adams graphene ceramic coat
Aaron07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 07:02 PM   #263
Camaro6.SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Thumbs up Another Hot Start – Slow Crank Fixed!

Well, I finally got around to trying the solution described in this thread to solve the hot start, slow crank issue on my 2016 SS. Ordered a 27-inch (2 AWG) cable from Battery Cables USA and ran it between the sound tube bracket mount and the NEG body post. There's a bit of excess length installed, so a 24-inch cable would have probably worked well too.

Pleased to say that it worked like a charm! Been testing for over a month, and no more intermittent slow cranking starts. Not bad for a $15 and 10 minute solution.

Thank you SSDan for the stroke of genius in figuring this out!
Camaro6.SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 08:28 AM   #264
SSDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro6.SS View Post

Thank you SSDan for the stroke of genius in figuring this out!
You are welcome. I'm so glad it has helped you too. In full disclosure, I am no genius as I had read somewhere on the forum where it was suggested to add an extra ground cable as part of a long thread about starter issues but with not a lot of detail about how to go about adding a cable. So, a couple months later I thought "what the heck" I have very little to lose by trying this.

It worked so well I just had to start a thread with the details so others could do the same if they wished. I like to bump this thread to the top every now and then as I still think there are a lot of 2016 SS cars out there that need to add a ground cable.

476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
Old 03-25-2022, 02:19 PM   #265
Krowser

Drives: ZL1 Mosaic Black
Quote:
Thanks to SSDan and Randy Pipe.

I was having the same issue until I followed your install instructions.
I am in Miami, Fl and after the third start from a cold start, the car would struggle.

The only part I would add to the parts list is this:

1. Autozone 006050 full threaded galvanized screw
2. steel washer
3. steel lock washer
4. steel nut

I installed the ground to the water pump housing.
This is the order it should be installed. The lock washer is what I added due to vibration.
Krowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 07:08 PM   #266
BlackBumblebee

Drives: 2016 1SS
Out of options

Hey all, been following this thread for past few months. Upgraded my negative cable with a 1/0 gauge wire 24”. However I just replaced my battery about 2 weeks after installing additional ground and I still get a slow crank.

I’m considering getting rid of my dream car because this problem has continued ever since I bought it back in January. This is my 2nd battery in 6 months. 1st replacement read as bad from an Autozone battery test. Any idea how to move forward? Install pics included. Any advice very much appreciated.
Attached Images

BlackBumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote