Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - California

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-14-2022, 07:00 PM   #1
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
SpeedSF Thunderhill West 1/15

Anybody going? I am running Saturday in Point-By.
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:33 PM   #2
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Gotta say something sooner and maybe I’d sign up too! Lol. I’m going on 1/29 but might sign up for another soon after.
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 07:56 PM   #3
desertmonkey

Drives: '17 SS 1LE
Lol! I'm going on 1/23 (3 mile course at Thill)
desertmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:58 PM   #4
funked1

New PB

Still can't catch @JRL1LE!

Last edited by funked1; 01-18-2022 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:17 PM   #5
Dabjbr

Congrats on the new PB! My best is 126.6 set last September on stock SC3.

I too am gunning for his times! I almost question how modded his car was! Is it apples to apples comparison or did he have something else?

Anywho, I hope to get into 125 and possibly 124 this year. I think I have opportunity at corners 4, 5 (beginning of esses) and 8. I feel really good about the rest. Maybe I should play your video side by side with mine.

Btw, what alignment specs are you currently running and neat software! First time I’ve seen that one!
Old 01-17-2022, 10:19 PM   #6
Dabjbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertmonkey View Post
Lol! I'm going on 1/23 (3 mile course at Thill)
You running “lil red nuht” with Ongrid?! I’m considering doing that along with my 1/29 event just because it’s only $99!

Last edited by Dabjbr; 01-18-2022 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:14 AM   #7
funked1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabjbr View Post
Congrats on the new PB! My best is 126.6 set last September on stock SC3.
Nice one! That is as fast as I have gone on SC3. Am on RT660 Ax cheater tires for now until I get a set of SC3 again. I have Pilot Sport AS4 on my stock wheels now.

Quote:
I too am gunning for his times! I almost question how modded his car was! Is it apples to apples comparison or did he have something else?
He had 295/30/20 RE71R on the stock wheels. Car was stock other than camber plates.

Quote:
Anywho, I hope to get into 125 and possibly 124 this year. I think I have opportunity at corners 4, 5 (beginning of esses) and 8. I feel really good about the rest. Maybe I should play your video side by side with mine.
Let's gooo! I am focusing on West this year too. Reno SCCA is running four rounds of their TT championship there and I am thinking of going for it. I think my "opportunities" are T1, lifting instead of braking for the dorito. And also T10, using all the runoff allowing a higher minimum speed. Also I think I can go down to 2nd at the end of the T1 complex and through T2, giving a little better acceleration on the straight down to the T3 dorito.

Quote:
Btw, what alignment specs are you currently running and neat software! First time I’ve seen that one!
Alignment specs are the ones in the GM performance supplement, -2.0F, -1.5R. https://camarofest.org/uploads/3/4/3...prep-guide.pdf

I love Solostorm. It is pricey but worth it. The crazy thing is it automatically gets the video from the GoPro and displays those renders on your phone when you finish your run, along with all the telemetry traces and sector data. I think for strictly track days you would want a Garmin Catalyst, but those are useless for autocross, so I am staying with Solostorm.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:50 AM   #8
Dabjbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by funked1 View Post
Nice one! That is as fast as I have gone on SC3. Am on RT660 Ax cheater tires for now until I get a set of SC3 again. I have Pilot Sport AS4 on my stock wheels now.

He had 295/30/20 RE71R on the stock wheels. Car was stock other than camber plates.

Let's gooo! I am focusing on West this year too. Reno SCCA is running four rounds of their TT championship there and I am thinking of going for it. I think my "opportunities" are T1, lifting instead of braking for the dorito. And also T10, using all the runoff allowing a higher minimum speed. Also I think I can go down to 2nd at the end of the T1 complex and through T2, giving a little better acceleration on the straight down to the T3 dorito.

Alignment specs are the ones in the GM performance supplement, -2.0F, -1.5R. https://camarofest.org/uploads/3/4/3...prep-guide.pdf

I love Solostorm. It is pricey but worth it. The crazy thing is it automatically gets the video from the GoPro and displays those renders on your phone when you finish your run, along with all the telemetry traces and sector data. I think for strictly track days you would want a Garmin Catalyst, but those are useless for autocross, so I am staying with Solostorm.
One day I might buy track tires but I currently have 5 SC3 tires in the garage so that take awhile to use up! Besides, I think my biggest issue is confidence in high speed corners, less so mechanical grip.

Let me know whenever you go out and it would be cool to shadow each other. Maybe learn from each other’s strengths.
So far, I’m going…
1/23 maybe
1/29 definitely and
5/16 GGLC highly likely
6/16 GGLC highly likely
(I want to run a couple times with the Lotus group as I’m highly considering getting the Emira and would like to learn more first.)

I know that’s not all Thill west events but I like to mix it up some. That said, I need to read up on this Reno TT deal. Sounds interesting!

I think we need even more camber. I’m currently running the same as you but have plans to max stock camber with maybe -2.5+F and -2R. I think (hope) it’s doable and maybe zero toe front. Hoping for a little more front bite & rotation.

Solostorm… That is a bit pricey but dang cool. That said, it’s only for android. I’ll probably eventually bite the bullet and get an Aim… maybe a catalyst but I hear they’re glitchy. For now, I’m staying frugal and using my PDR and RaceChrono. (Have yet to do an autoX).
Old 01-18-2022, 12:15 PM   #9
funked1

Quote:
One day I might buy track tires but I currently have 5 SC3 tires in the garage so that take awhile to use up!
I would stick with SC3. I only got the RT660s for Autocross, because the SC3 need a really hot day to perform well. On track the SC3 have time to warm up. I think RT660 might be better for 2 or 3 hot laps, but then they get greasy, whereas the SC3 just warms up and maintains grip. Once my RT660s are done I am going back to SC3, because the performance difference is marginal, and the SC3 wear so much better on track.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:18 PM   #10
funked1

Here's the Reno SCCA site: https://www.renoscca.org/
They are on Facebook too. They announced the TT schedule on Facebook but don't have it up on their site yet. Looking at last year's times, we would easily be on top of the S2 class and faster than almost all of the S1 runners.
Old 01-18-2022, 01:57 PM   #11
desertmonkey

Drives: '17 SS 1LE
Quote:
You running “lil red nuht” with Ongrid?! I’m considering doing that along with my 1/29 event just because it’s only $99!
Yup. That’s the one!
Do it! $99 is a bargain for a track day. Only issue is the long drive to get out there for a single day!
desertmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:02 PM   #12
Dabjbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertmonkey View Post
Yup. That’s the one!
Do it! $99 is a bargain for a track day. Only issue is the long drive to get out there for a single day!
What group are you running? I’m going to sign up tonight.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:09 PM   #13
Dabjbr

Quote:
I would stick with SC3. I only got the RT660s for Autocross, because the SC3 need a really hot day to perform well. On track the SC3 have time to warm up. I think RT660 might be better for 2 or 3 hot laps, but then they get greasy, whereas the SC3 just warms up and maintains grip. Once my RT660s are done I am going back to SC3, because the performance difference is marginal, and the SC3 wear so much better on track.
That’s good to know and makes me feel better about not making the jump. That said, I do sometimes think 18” slick takeoffs might be a game changer. Granted, it wouldn’t work for the TT events because wear rating. But if you’re solely going for lap times, that might be the ticket!

Quote:
Here's the Reno SCCA site: https://www.renoscca.org/
They are on Facebook too. They announced the TT schedule on Facebook but don't have it up on their site yet. Looking at last year's times, we would easily be on top of the S2 class and faster than almost all of the S1 runners.
I was checking out 2021 event results and I think you’re right! The 1le would dominate S2 and even T2 if you wanted to install some mods. Do you know the cost? Is it comparable to other HPDE events? Similar price? Similar amount of track time? If so, it’s almost a no brainer and would be good fun for those 4 events. We’d go head to head! Ha!
Old 01-19-2022, 09:58 AM   #14
Dabjbr

Signed up for group 3 on 1/23 with a Miata buddy of mine.
What group did you sign up for?