Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-27-2019, 10:54 AM   #1
Mosaic6SS

Drives: Camaro
Check your oil again!!!

I just recently got a used 2017 SS and love the car. So like usual with a new ride I go over everything. I was told by my dealer that I had one free maintenance visit left, so I dropped it off. They changed the oil and checked fluids etc. I got it home, let it sit for about 15 min, checked it again and it showed full. I then drove for a few hundred miles, meanwhile my catchcan arrived, installed that and then checked the oil again. It showed almost three quarters of a quart low. Now Im thinking she's burning oil as there was no sign of leaks.

The car drives great and from my experience if you are burning that much oil, there will be drivability issues and maybe tailpipe smoke. So thinking something was a little off I went ahead and did another oil change because I wanted Mobile 1 in there anyway. I drained the oil took off the filter drained it as well, then reinstalled the filter, plugged it back up, then added 2.5 gallons. Started it up let it sit about an hr then checked again and the level was about halfway up the hashmarks on the dipstick.

Whenever I change my oil I always let the oil get hot before I check the level to allow for any thermal expansion so that I do not overfill. I have learned that cold oil will show approximately 1/3 to 1/2 quart lower on the dipstick versus hot oil. Since the oil was cold I left it 1/2 quart low. I drove it another few miles then checked it again and its showing ABOVE the max level past the dot at the top. As I was getting my vacuum hose and pump ready to pull some out of the dip stick port I left the dipstick out and laid it on the radiator support panel. 20 min later checked it again and its right at 1/2 quart low. I WAS STUMPED! I eliminated any mistakes on my part by checking the oil with the car in the EXACT SAME SPOT, and making sure the temperature of the engine oil was the same.

I finally figured out what was going on. After many observations I learned that the dipstick is EXTREMELY hard to read sometimes. I think the reason why is the dipstick port and the dipstick are a tight fit (Notice the paint rubbed off the top and bottom of the dipstick hashmark section). So what I believe was happening was when you run the engine, the oil wicks up the dipstick. Then once you cut the engine off and let it sit with the dipstick inserted in the tube, the oil kinda sits in there on top of the dipstick hashmark section as it acts as a plug at the base of the dipstick port and doesn't drain down quickly enough.

Another issue was apparent even after I thought enough time had passed to allow the oil to drain back down. Since the dipstick is in contact with the dipstick tube, when you pull the dipstick out you inadvertently drag that oil thats sitting on top of the dipstick hashmark section UP the inside of the dipstick tube therefore causing a false reading once you check it again. As this oil is attempting to drain back down.

The only way I could get accurate clean oil level samples on the dipstick were with the steps used below:

1. Get the engine warm. Then shut if off.

2. Park on a level surface.

3. Let engine sit with dipstick OUT OF THE DIPSTICK TUBE, just lay it across the radiator support by your chevy performance badge(if your really concerned about dust or something getting down the tube cover with a rag while the dipstick is out).

4. Come back about 15-20 mins later and recheck. You should then see a clean consistent oil level sample on the dipstick without oil anywhere above the highest point where you see oil on the dipstick or any gaps anywhere lower where you see oil on the dipstick.

Using this oil checking method on my SS verified that I was not burning oil. I have checked several times and the oil level is staying put.

Hope this helps and any feedback is appreciated.
Mosaic6SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:03 AM   #2
Brudda*Termite

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Had the same experience with an S2000 I owned, it drove me crazy. Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 05-27-2019, 11:04 AM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
if thats youre procedure and it works for you, thats excellent.

i have never had a problem with checking after 3-5 min of shutdown, cleaning the stick with a rag and reading it with a flashlight if the oil is new.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:09 AM   #4
Mosaic6SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
if thats youre procedure and it works for you, thats excellent.

i have never had a problem with checking after 3-5 min of shutdown, cleaning the stick with a rag and reading it with a flashlight if the oil is new.
Which engine do you have? I have the 6.2 LT1 in mine. I also have 5.3 liter Silverado and no issues checking oil, my other non chevy cars no issues, but this one...jeez.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:13 AM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
had the camaro 2016 v6 , and the 2013 ssv8....and 2014 C7 (Wet sump) LT1, all checked fine on the stick.

Last edited by Glen e; 05-27-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:31 AM   #6
Mosaic6SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
had the camaro 2016 v6 , and the 2013 ssv8....and 2014 C7 LT1, all checked fine on the stick.
Yes I could see the 2016 V6 3.6liter and 2017 V8 LT1 Camaro being different. As far as the 2014 C7 LT1 and the 2013 SSV8, I am not sure but they could be of different design, I just read about the C7 dry sump systems recently. I could also see this issue going unnoticed unless different methods were tested against each other to see if there was a difference. None the less, I am just glad my car is not burning 1/2 quart per 200 miles like the stick was suggesting.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:37 PM   #7
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic6SS View Post
I just recently got a used 2017 SS and love the car. So like usual with a new ride I go over everything. I was told by my dealer that I had one free maintenance visit left, so I dropped it off. They changed the oil and checked fluids etc. I got it home, let it sit for about 15 min, checked it again and it showed full. I then drove for a few hundred miles, meanwhile my catchcan arrived, installed that and then checked the oil again. It showed almost three quarters of a quart low. Now Im thinking she's burning oil as there was no sign of leaks.

The car drives great and from my experience if you are burning that much oil, there will be drivability issues and maybe tailpipe smoke. So thinking something was a little off I went ahead and did another oil change because I wanted Mobile 1 in there anyway. I drained the oil took off the filter drained it as well, then reinstalled the filter, plugged it back up, then added 2.5 gallons. Started it up let it sit about an hr then checked again and the level was about halfway up the hashmarks on the dipstick.

Whenever I change my oil I always let the oil get hot before I check the level to allow for any thermal expansion so that I do not overfill. I have learned that cold oil will show approximately 1/3 to 1/2 quart lower on the dipstick versus hot oil. Since the oil was cold I left it 1/2 quart low. I drove it another few miles then checked it again and its showing ABOVE the max level past the dot at the top. As I was getting my vacuum hose and pump ready to pull some out of the dip stick port I left the dipstick out and laid it on the radiator support panel. 20 min later checked it again and its right at 1/2 quart low. I WAS STUMPED! I eliminated any mistakes on my part by checking the oil with the car in the EXACT SAME SPOT, and making sure the temperature of the engine oil was the same.

I finally figured out what was going on. After many observations I learned that the dipstick is EXTREMELY hard to read sometimes. I think the reason why is the dipstick port and the dipstick are a tight fit (Notice the paint rubbed off the top and bottom of the dipstick hashmark section). So what I believe was happening was when you run the engine, the oil wicks up the dipstick. Then once you cut the engine off and let it sit with the dipstick inserted in the tube, the oil kinda sits in there on top of the dipstick hashmark section as it acts as a plug at the base of the dipstick port and doesn't drain down quickly enough.

Another issue was apparent even after I thought enough time had passed to allow the oil to drain back down. Since the dipstick is in contact with the dipstick tube, when you pull the dipstick out you inadvertently drag that oil thats sitting on top of the dipstick hashmark section UP the inside of the dipstick tube therefore causing a false reading once you check it again. As this oil is attempting to drain back down.

The only way I could get accurate clean oil level samples on the dipstick were with the steps used below:

1. Get the engine warm. Then shut if off.

2. Park on a level surface.

3. Let engine sit with dipstick OUT OF THE DIPSTICK TUBE, just lay it across the radiator support by your chevy performance badge(if your really concerned about dust or something getting down the tube cover with a rag while the dipstick is out).

4. Come back about 15-20 mins later and recheck. You should then see a clean consistent oil level sample on the dipstick without oil anywhere above the highest point where you see oil on the dipstick or any gaps anywhere lower where you see oil on the dipstick.

Using this oil checking method on my SS verified that I was not burning oil. I have checked several times and the oil level is staying put.

Hope this helps and any feedback is appreciated.
Of course...if you check it cold, like you're supposed to, then none of this lengthy novel is even needed.

Just saying.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:46 PM   #8
Mosaic6SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
Of course...if you check it cold, like you're supposed to, then none of this lengthy novel is even needed.

Just saying.
It funny you say that because I would let it sit overnight then check again in the morning when cold. Even then, it would show higher on the dipstick with a few dry spots in the crosshatched area below the highest area where there was oil on the stick. If I check it when cold I would still get the proper level that was much easier to see, only if I LEAVE THE DIPSTICK OUT for about 15 min then check it again. When I spoke about checking the oil while hot, I was referring to establishing the proper maximum level, in relation to temperature. This way when the oil gets hot, say about 120 celsius, and expands it wont be overfilled while the oil temps are up.

Also if you read your 2017 manual it states the procedure for checking the oil. The manual recommends that you check it at every fuel fill. During the oil level check it also states to "allow several minutes for the oil to drain back into the oil pan". I don't know about you but when I fill up it takes less than ten minutes. I doubt the engine oil would be anywhere near cool or cold, within ten minutes of shutting off the engine. The reason I mention this is because I am not sure where you are getting this, "check it cold, like your suppose to" information from? Oh, and if the thread is considered to be a novel, then I need to start making money writing books as it only took about 10min to type out. All in all I'm only trying to be as specific as possible about an observation in order to help others that may have some difficulty reading the oil level on the dipstick.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:45 AM   #9
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
ideally, yes, you would let the car sit overnight, with the dip stick OUT, then check in the morning. But really, just put the specified number of quarts in and be done with it. I do my own oil changes and I know exactly how much goes in, and there are obvious signs if an engine is burning significant amounts of oil. I won't start worrying about my piston rings for a LONG long time. You don't have to meticulously check your oil level every fill up. I don't even check it at most oil changes.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:57 PM   #10
Canadian Steve

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic6SS View Post
The reason I mention this is because I am not sure where you are getting this, "check it cold, like your suppose to" information from?

This comes from the 2019 Camaro owner's manual:

To get an accurate reading, park the vehicle on level ground. Check the engine oil level after the engine has been off for at least two hours. Checking the engine oil level on steep grades or too soon after engine shutoff can result in incorrect readings. Accuracy improves when checking a cold engine prior to starting. Remove the dipstick and check the level.

If unable to wait two hours, the engine must be off for at least 15 minutes if the engine is warm, or at least 30 minutes if the engine is not warm. Pull out the dipstick, wipe it with a clean paper towel or cloth, then push it back in all the way. Remove it again, keeping the tip down, and check the level.
Canadian Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:33 PM   #11
Mosaic6SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Steve View Post
This comes from the 2019 Camaro owner's manual:

To get an accurate reading, park the vehicle on level ground. Check the engine oil level after the engine has been off for at least two hours. Checking the engine oil level on steep grades or too soon after engine shutoff can result in incorrect readings. Accuracy improves when checking a cold engine prior to starting. Remove the dipstick and check the level.

If unable to wait two hours, the engine must be off for at least 15 minutes if the engine is warm, or at least 30 minutes if the engine is not warm. Pull out the dipstick, wipe it with a clean paper towel or cloth, then push it back in all the way. Remove it again, keeping the tip down, and check the level.

I have a 2017, and the manual is different, It makes sense that GM changed the procedure.