Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #1
DeeZ NuttS

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
BOOM goes the LT1!

I had the unfortunate experience this weekend during a mountain cruise of witnessing with my own two eyeballs a 16 2SS Vert Auto with 11,000 miles spin a rod bearing. Guy wasn't even beating on the engine. We pulled into the gas station and the engine died, locked up, and smoke started to come from under the hood. I know we say these engines are pretty bulletproof, but man it gives you that unsettling feeling when you see it for yourself instead of reading it on the forums. He must have got a Friday engine.
DeeZ NuttS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:39 AM   #2
Corvette_Mike

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
It would be interesting to know the cause of this.
Corvette_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:51 AM   #3
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeZ NuttS View Post
He must have got a Friday engine.

Or it was low on oil? Or it was modded? Even if the oil level was good when it blew, what about past history? Too little info to conclude a 'Friday engine'.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:41 AM   #4
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
And why even post this “news” before the cause of failure is known??? The LT1s are among the most bulletproof engines made, but once in awhile one does fail. There’s no reason for widespread panic here.
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:54 AM   #5
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
meh, it’s still under warranty.
Get a new engine, ask for an extended warranty for piece of mine & continue on the mountain cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:55 AM   #6
DeeZ NuttS

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
To answer your questions, the oil was a tick under completely full, it did not have a burnt smell. He didn't have any engine mods. Just a stock engine with 11000 miles that seized up. He did say it started rattling really bad just before it died. He didn't leak any oil so there's not a hole in the block. Just smoke and a burnt smell in the engine bay.
DeeZ NuttS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:34 PM   #7
Balzdeep

Drives: Wicked Fast
LT1 bulletproof...now that’s a good one.
Balzdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:59 PM   #8
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
I had the unfortunate experience this weekend during a mountain cruise of witnessing with my own two eyeballs a 16 2SS Vert Auto with 11,000 miles spin a rod bearing. Guy wasn't even beating on the engine. We pulled into the gas station and the engine died, locked up, and smoke started to come from under the hood. I know we say these engines are pretty bulletproof, but man it gives you that unsettling feeling when you see it for yourself instead of reading it on the forums. He must have got a Friday engine.

Its what happens when you buy imported steel, impure, bad quality. Not sure how GM gets there steel but would not be surprised if some comes from China, at least before the Tariffs were put in place.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:31 PM   #9
torqueaddict

Quote:
To answer your questions, the oil was a tick under completely full, it did not have a burnt smell. He didn't have any engine mods. Just a stock engine with 11000 miles that seized up. He did say it started rattling really bad just before it died. He didn't leak any oil so there's not a hole in the block. Just smoke and a burnt smell in the engine bay.
Well, he probably did get a Friday engine. It would be nice to get a follow up from him on what was found.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:33 PM   #10
Korosion

Drives: 2016 2SS
My 2011 camaro V6 spun a rod bearing, it was due to lack of oil according to the dealership
Korosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #11
torqueaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzdeep View Post
LT1 bulletproof...now that’s a good one.
Actually, it is, considering the amount of vehicles that use it in some form. It's been around long enough for a lot of the kinks to be worked out. Still, some will go boom.

Now if we're talking gen 3 Coyote, I'm with you. Ford still needs to work on the 'death rattle,' 'BBQ tick' and 'drop valve' issues. Other than those, It's a great engine.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:45 PM   #12
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
LT1 is a awesome motor but there have been a select few that have succumbed to premature catastrophic failure...its not like it happens often or anything nor would I call the motor unreliable but...I'm not exactly surprised either. The likely hood of every single LT1 ever produced running flawlessly all the way to the end of warranty period is a tall order...but atleast 95% are golden.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:39 PM   #13
Balzdeep

Drives: Wicked Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
Actually, it is, considering the amount of vehicles that use it in some form. It's been around long enough for a lot of the kinks to be worked out. Still, some will go boom.

Now if we're talking gen 3 Coyote, I'm with you. Ford still needs to work on the 'death rattle,' 'BBQ tick' and 'drop valve' issues. Other than those, It's a great engine.
What...? You need to stop reading BS about Gen3 coyotes. I own both LT1 & Gen3. Take the Coyote over the LT1 anyday for boost builds and just plain more fun to drive. Disinformation on Boobtube is ridiculous.
Balzdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:38 PM   #14
speedup

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
hopefully we will get an explanation from a GM rep on what went wrong?

2017 2SS, Hyper Blue, 8sp, NPP, MRC
speedup is offline   Reply With Quote