Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-05-2016, 11:37 PM   #1
17 White ZL1

Drives: 2017 White ZL1 A10
Drove Magnusons SS Camaro

I went with a friend last Friday to magnuson in Ventura Ca and was handed the keys to there new SS with there 2.3L Supercharger and I was impressed not only with the power with only 6psi of boost but with the handling of the car. After Dan @ Mag drove my friends Hellcat I was a passenger it was fun to see his reaction compaired to the SS. Can't wait to get my ZL1
Attached Images

17 White ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:20 PM   #2
MIAMI2SSRS

Drives: 2016 Black 1SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 White ZL1 View Post
I went with a friend last Friday to magnuson in Ventura Ca and was handed the keys to there new SS with there 2.3L Supercharger and I was impressed not only with the power with only 6psi of boost but with the handling of the car. After Dan @ Mag drove my friends Hellcat I was a passenger it was fun to see his reaction compaired to the SS. Can't wait to get my ZL1
Cool. Do you know the dyno numbers on the Camaro by any chance? Also, did he give his impressions comparing the supercharged SS and the Hellcat?

Last edited by MIAMI2SSRS; 04-17-2016 at 10:55 AM.
MIAMI2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:08 PM   #3
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Which gears actually had useable power?
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:14 PM   #4
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
I'm going to take a quick ride over to Jannetty on Friday to test drive Ted's SS. I can't keep a car like this stock. It's killing me. I'm leaning towards going all in and I doubt I'll end up changing my mind after trying out the heartbeat. We talked target numbers today and if I do this, I'm going to do it right and all together...not just tacking on a blower and tune. I'll let you guys know what the heartbeat was like by Friday afternoon at some point.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:32 PM   #5
17 White ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAMI2SSRS View Post
Cool. Do you know the dyno numbers on the Camaro by any change? Also, did he give his impressions comparing the supercharged SS and the Hellcat?
He said But don't recall exact numbers 525-550 rwhp on 6psi but don't quote me on that it was under 600. I can give you impression on the Hellcat as I had one. The Camaro feels light and quick compaired to the heavy steer feel a HC has. Dan was laughing driving the HC he said it was obnoxious & felt real heavy but the HC has a ton of power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSloper View Post
Which gears actually had useable power?
I just drove it around the streets but it had useable power everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer View Post
I'm going to take a quick ride over to Jannetty on Friday to test drive Ted's SS. I can't keep a car like this stock. It's killing me. I'm leaning towards going all in and I doubt I'll end up changing my mind after trying out the heartbeat. We talked target numbers today and if I do this, I'm going to do it right and all together...not just tacking on a blower and tune. I'll let you guys know what the heartbeat was like by Friday afternoon at some point.
I drove a stock SS a few weeks back and the Mag SS was awesome put a big smile on my face. I'm waiting for the ZL1 but I'm a drag racer the Mag SS almost changed my mind

Last edited by 17 White ZL1; 04-09-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:24 AM   #6
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
He said But don't recall exact numbers upper 580 rwhp on 6psi but don't quote me on that it was under 600. I can give you impression on the Hellcat as I had one. The Camaro feels light and quick compaired to the heavy steer feel a HC has. Dan was laughing driving the HC he said it was obnoxious & felt real heavy but the HC has a ton of power.

I drove a stock SS a few weeks back and the Mag SS was awesome put a big smile on my face. I'm waiting for the ZL1 but I'm a drag racer the Mag SS almost changed my mind
Yeah, that's exactly what Ted told me - power everywhere. I've talked to a few different reputable shops and they all agree the Hearbeat is the top dog overall (quality, usability and performance).

So what made you change your mind? I'm in the same boat sort of. From what I understand, LT1+Heartbeat+Tune will offer more upside potential than the LT4. Do we have any idea what else GM has done under the hood of the ZL1 if we take the smaller blower and conservative, emissions friendly tune out of the equation? I just want to make the right decision. With Jannetty literally 10 minutes away from me, I'm never going to stay stock regardless of which car I choose. I'm really happy with my car inside and out and I think they can easily surpass an OEM ZL1 for a lot less $. Plus I'd have it now vs. waiting almost a full year and I love the sleeper factor.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:19 PM   #7
MIAMI2SSRS

Quote:
He said But don't recall exact numbers upper 580 rwhp on 6psi but don't quote me on that it was under 600. I can give you impression on the Hellcat as I had one. The Camaro feels light and quick compaired to the heavy steer feel a HC has. Dan was laughing driving the HC he said it was obnoxious & felt real heavy but the HC has a ton of power.

Thank you, sir. I appreciate the follow up!! I will love to see what numbers these car will show up with the new Whipple coming out.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:41 AM   #8
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
As of yet, it appears the Maggie is killing the game with the Heartbeat. We made 530 and 588 to the wheels on a conservative tune. I'll likely be installing a Maggie on my 1SS A8 in the next month or so also. See our dyno below:

All the best,

Jared Royce
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:07 AM   #9
17 White ZL1

Well Magnuson was at the drags yesterday in Bakerfield and I was impressed bone stock SS with a bolt on supercharger with 7 psi boost they ran a 10.8 et not bad with a good set of 17" DR I see a 10.5-10.7 run add a few more psi of boost low 10's awesome
Old 04-17-2016, 10:59 AM   #10
MIAMI2SSRS

Quote:
Well Magnuson was at the drags yesterday in Bakerfield and I was impressed bone stock SS with a bolt on supercharger with 7 psi boost they ran a 10.8 et not bad with a good set of 17" DR I see a 10.5-10.7 run add a few more psi of boost low 10's awesome
Thank you for posting this info!!
Old 04-17-2016, 11:09 AM   #11
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAMI2SSRS View Post
Thank you for posting this info!!
+1

That is very impressive and I would love to see the slip. Was that on the Goodyears ? I know what is on my Christmas list now !!

Edit; I run a 3.4L Whipple on my truck and was waiting until they released some results with their unit. It's nice to see all the options out there and this Maggie is sweeet.

Last edited by Snowblind; 04-17-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:49 AM   #12
Sharp Shifter

Drives: 98 Transam drag car SOLD now 17 ZL1
oh there seems to be a lot of hands on feel in this thread but idk if you guys have driven a procharged car but how do you guys feel between the two if you wanted a fast street car and potentially 9 second street car? Still feel the heartbeat would be the best overall?
Sharp Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:44 PM   #13
toohighpsi

Drives: 2015 C7 Z06 M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
+1

That is very impressive and I would love to see the slip. Was that on the Goodyears ? I know what is on my Christmas list now !!

Edit; I run a 3.4L Whipple on my truck and was waiting until they released some results with their unit. It's nice to see all the options out there and this Maggie is sweeet.
Well I can help there!

I was driving the car on Saturday and here are two of the slips from it. On the left is the best ET for the day, on the right the best MPH. We had a set of about 2 year old Nitto NT05R tires on the rear and DA was about 1800.

These 6th gen Camaros are truly an amazing car, I could have gone faster with a better tire - if I pushed the RPM above 1500 at the tree it would just blow the tires away at launch. Really looking forward to further modifications and more boost on this car!

Mike
Attached Images

toohighpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:23 PM   #14
toohighpsi

Drives: 2015 C7 Z06 M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20171LE View Post
You could have gone faster with a centrifugal.

So, all that "low RPM power" that the PD fan boys keep raving about produced nothing but tire smoke with Nitto NT05R tires on a prepped track. Exactly my point.

If you're going to spend the time and money to add a FI system, buy a superior front mount twin turbo or a centrifugal.
They'll get better traction in the low RPM's, make more power everywhere else, and a centri will put down the power better with linear boost delivery.
If there was a centrifugal on the car I wouldn't have been running 10s...

I have plenty of experience with centrifugal SCs (www.toohighpsi.com) but they are not the right choice for a heavy car with a stock auto transmission. I have a pretty good background with every power added out there and lack of low speed torque would not be doing me any favors no matter what you think.

With the PD blower, I can always pick the launch that I want to have, simply by the RPM at the tree. On the factory street tires at the track, launch at idle with a swift roll to the floor allows a great launch without wheel spin. With a tire like these nittos bring it up to about 1500RPM on the converter and I was going mid 1.5s 60fts. With a set of MT drag radials and 2000RPM at the tree (about the most you can get with the stock converter against the brakes) probably drop into the low 1.5s or even high 1.4s.

I will always take all the power under the curve that I can get - I can't say that I've ever complained about too much power and I've always found a tire that can handle it.

I am a drag guy, so I don't consider a Nitto anything to be a good drag tire (especially on a 20" rim), hopefully I'll have a set of MT or BFG on a smaller diameter rim with more sidewall next time I get the car out.

I'm looking forward to the performance of other kits that are arriving on the market, but rarely do we get to see a stock vehicle SC only ET. For this car it's just a starting point - I like to go fast, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see how those "not possible PD" 9 second predictions that I keep seeing hold up...

Mike
toohighpsi is offline   Reply With Quote