Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-18-2016, 08:23 AM   #29
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper1SS View Post
Wow!! That is unreal and so unacceptable. I have worked for GM 16 years now and that makes me sad to see this get through and out to the customer. Being a GM employee I want to apologize and say how sorry I am! We build the Silverado and Sierra where I work and our paint system does excellent work and every inch no matter where is painted perfectly. Yes they moved the Camaro and it is built in Michigan now but that is no excuse. They also build the Cadillac there so I wonder if they are having paint issues to with those to? I know me personally would not let something that looks like that leave the plant. I would have not accepted it and told them I want a new one ordered. I also would not want a brand new car repainted at a dealership. I hope you get things worked out and the answers you deserve.
Thank you. We are just at a loss. It's almost like it these things weren't noticed before it left the factory what else was half assed or missed? The whole situation is bizarre. Oh and if you were building silverado's in 2012 I can say our silverado crew cab ltz was excellent. Pulled our 22' boat with ease, good seating room for people front to back, fit and finish was good. And paint? Yes, we had a full layer of paint from front to back, top to bottom. We had absolutely zero issues it.

I uploaded another folder of pictures, these are just the trunk, trunk lid and spoiler. It's the same issue there. The body of the car is missing paint, the spoiler is, the supports or whatever one would call them. The things that raise the spoiler above the trunk lid, same thing.

If it was a case of the hinges inside the the engine compartment and trunk were not painted I could have given a crap less. I would just monitor those issues for any corrosion or rust or whatever and be done. All this other stuff - no, not even remotely acceptable. Funny thing is and I keep pointing it out to the people I've been talking to trying to find someone to help is - the areas that are messed up are 110% consistent from side to side. If the left side has a 10" area the right side does as well. If the trunk has places on the right there are the exact same areas on the left, same spot, etc. Just hoping the call with the service director at the second dealership goes well this afternoon and it's not some more BS.
Netslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:28 AM   #30
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
I believe mosiac black has an extra step than the regular colors. Seems like the base black is not thick enough.
That's what we are wondering too. If this orange/goldish color we are see is the base layer or primer or something they dipped the car in before painting. And then the car did not receive a full paint job afterwards?
Old 02-18-2016, 09:03 AM   #31
suzook

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netslave View Post
That's what we are wondering too. If this orange/goldish color we are see is the base layer or primer or something they dipped the car in before painting. And then the car did not receive a full paint job afterwards?
That is the base/primer showing through.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:24 AM   #32
FlightSoftware

Drives: '95 Corvette, '06 Mustang, 2LT RS
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=440787

Scroll down to the pic where he's showing the shine. Is it just me or does that look like this problem?
Old 02-18-2016, 09:28 AM   #33
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
That is the base/primer showing through.
That is what we assumed but did not know for sure. So if I understand this correctly and please correct me if I don't - this car requires an extra coat of paint or an extra step because of the metallic black paint vs just a white or black coat of paint? And I guess if that did not happen that would be why we are seeing orangish/goldish looking stripes/areas on different places? I mean first of all it looks like ass. Second we are concerned that if the paint was not fully applied over the entire car what happens in a few years due to the bad paint job? Ridiculous.

I updated the pictures, sent everything I have including an overview of the conversation with the dealership it was purchased at to the service advisor at the dealership I called yesterday. Not sure when he is having his meeting or whatever is going on with the area manager he spoke of.

Again, just going off assumptions, if people like yourself and many others can see there is an issue I would assume by looking at the pictures these people could as well and want to set up a time to see the car in person. I'm just assuming of course. If none of that happens today the calls to GM start as we don't need an orange/goldish/metallic black camaro.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...3M&usp=sharing
Old 02-18-2016, 09:39 AM   #34
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper1SS View Post
Wow!! That is unreal and so unacceptable. I have worked for GM 16 years now and that makes me sad to see this get through and out to the customer. Being a GM employee I want to apologize and say how sorry I am! We build the Silverado and Sierra where I work and our paint system does excellent work and every inch no matter where is painted perfectly. Yes they moved the Camaro and it is built in Michigan now but that is no excuse. They also build the Cadillac there so I wonder if they are having paint issues to with those to? I know me personally would not let something that looks like that leave the plant. I would have not accepted it and told them I want a new one ordered. I also would not want a brand new car repainted at a dealership. I hope you get things worked out and the answers you deserve.
To bad they dont have some one as good as you working on the Camaro/Cadillac lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netslave View Post
Thank you. We are just at a loss. It's almost like it these things weren't noticed before it left the factory what else was half assed or missed? The whole situation is bizarre. Oh and if you were building silverado's in 2012 I can say our silverado crew cab ltz was excellent. Pulled our 22' boat with ease, good seating room for people front to back, fit and finish was good. And paint? Yes, we had a full layer of paint from front to back, top to bottom. We had absolutely zero issues it.

I uploaded another folder of pictures, these are just the trunk, trunk lid and spoiler. It's the same issue there. The body of the car is missing paint, the spoiler is, the supports or whatever one would call them. The things that raise the spoiler above the trunk lid, same thing.

If it was a case of the hinges inside the the engine compartment and trunk were not painted I could have given a crap less. I would just monitor those issues for any corrosion or rust or whatever and be done. All this other stuff - no, not even remotely acceptable. Funny thing is and I keep pointing it out to the people I've been talking to trying to find someone to help is - the areas that are messed up are 110% consistent from side to side. If the left side has a 10" area the right side does as well. If the trunk has places on the right there are the exact same areas on the left, same spot, etc. Just hoping the call with the service director at the second dealership goes well this afternoon and it's not some more BS.
It's not only the black most of the colors i have seen dont have 100% cover of painted surfaces, this is the bean counters at work.

GM is taking the line that if they sale 500,00 units and save $200 per car on paint and only have to repaint X they save money.

They need to fix this or move the build to a better plant.

Last edited by 2SSRS@Gen5diy; 02-18-2016 at 11:11 AM.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:35 AM   #35
63falcondude

Drives: 16 Camaro, 11 Stryker, 00 Explorer
This is horrible, hope it all works out for you. Social media is your friend.

1100 12/14/2015
3000 1/8/2016 (TPW 2/1)
3800 2/1/2016
5000 3/5/2016

Last edited by 63falcondude; 02-18-2016 at 10:51 AM.
63falcondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:41 AM   #36
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
To bad they dont have some one as good as you working on the Camaro/Cadillac lines.

It's not only the black most of the colors i have seen dont have 100% cover of painted surfaces, this is the been counters at work.

GM is taking the line that if they sale 500,00 units and save $200 per car on paint and only have to repaint X they save money.

They need to fix this or move the build to a better plant.

^ this. Seems giving a crap about your job or your product is a dying art.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:01 PM   #37
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

UPDATE ---

So we just received an email from the service advisor (not from the dealership of purchase of course) just a random dealer I contacted that is 20 min from where we live.

" ********** I have received the pics and have shared them with my DSM from GM I be in contact once he tells which way to proceed.

Thanks"

Silly question but what is a DSM? Some type of district manager we assume?
Old 02-18-2016, 01:39 PM   #38
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
I think that's what it means district sales manager.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:55 PM   #39
davet435
davet

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic Black
Send a message via Yahoo to davet435
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08z51c6 View Post
GM needs to take that car back and give him a new one. I'd pick another color too.
Amen to that!!! They are replacing mine. I took my car up there twice, the first time their body shop guy wasn't there because it was Saturday. As soon as he looked at it they told me they were going to replace it, that was before they ever contacted GM. My replacement is being built the week of the 29th. You can bet that car is going in their garage area and I'm going to be going over it with me LED work light before I take delivery. I was a little sceptical of this dealership when I bought the car. I mean I got a good deal, but felt kind of uncomfortable throughout the process. After seeing the way other dealers are treating their customers I'm glad I bought mine from them. They already know if the new car isn't perfect I'll be changing colors.
2/8/16 3000 TPW 2/29
2/18/16 3400
3/3/16 3800
3/4/16 4B00
3/5/16 4300
3/7/16 4200!!!
davet435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:57 PM   #40
camaro1&6

Drives: 67camaro 69Nova C6
I'm sorry I had to stay away from the site for awhile , I can't believe this ****ing shit , the dealership and chevrolet is jerking me around , I cant be this !!! this maybe be dramatic but it's affected my life !!! This is the 2nd time in year with a new chevy WTF IS GOING ON QC???????????
camaro1&6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:10 PM   #41
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
In this case, it stands for District SERVICE Manager. he's the first point of contact.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:40 PM   #42
davet435
davet

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic Black
Send a message via Yahoo to davet435
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyCamaro View Post
I'm still trying to figure out... are all black paint jobs like that and some people simply don't notice because they don't hit it with an LED flashlight? Or are some OK and some not? It looks to me like they underestimated the number of coats necessary to cover.

Mike
Correct, you can not see it until light hits at the right angle, whether it's sunlight or LED light. Around the hinges and some other areas other than the exterior panels you can see...even those you can see better with a light.

Did you check the paint on the hinges of your car when you bought it??? No who would...

I know I checked my paint over pretty closely. I knew where all the bad scratches that they put in the paint were. Never saw these problems.
2/8/16 3000 TPW 2/29
2/18/16 3400
3/3/16 3800
3/4/16 4B00
3/5/16 4300
3/7/16 4200!!!
davet435 is offline   Reply With Quote