Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 02-17-2016, 09:57 PM   #15
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netslave View Post
Couldn't tell any of this was wrong. The weather here has been shit, it was over cast with some sun and the car was pretty dirty. Then even after they were told to not wash it the salesman sent it to the back of the dealership for "a quick wash" which from the picture below you can see some mensa member used a gas station squeegee, some great value dish soap and a scotch brite pad to dry the car. It wasn't until the car was rinsed off and under bright light at a professional detail shop could the defects be seen. Maybe you were gifted with a method for seeing thru birdshit, road debris and 1.5 million hard water spots but I was not.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Y3...TYg=w1399-h689
I understand not trusting the dealership to wash the car, but man I would never leave the dealership with a dirty car. I would make them bring it to an offsite location or something. Overall while this is truly terrible, sounds like you just wanted out of there and didn't look over the car very well.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:57 PM   #16
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
I would get a lawyer and also that paint job is under warranty. Overall did you not see any of this before taking delivery? It seems hard to believe you wouldn't have pointed out a lot of this.
Couldn't tell any of this was wrong. The weather here has been shit, it was over cast with some sun and the car was pretty dirty. Then even after they were told to not wash it the salesman sent it to the back of the dealership for "a quick wash" which from the picture below you can see some mensa member used a gas station squeegee, some great value dish soap and a scotch brite pad to dry the car. It wasn't until the car was rinsed off and under bright light at a professional detail shop could the defects be seen. Maybe you were gifted with a method for seeing thru birdshit, road debris and 1.5 million hard water spots but I was not.

I have been PM'ng davet435 about his car and he just noticed some additional areas on his car as well that I don't believe he noticed until I started talking about where all the issues were on my car. It sucks and this is a life lesson for me as I will never leave a lot for the rest of my life until I have gone over the car front to back, top to bottom - I don't care how long it takes.

Guess the question for me is the car had test drive miles on it and had been there for some time according to the car searches I did when I started looking. The real question is how the hell did the dealer not know or better yet did they and just hoped the dirty car would hide it? I mean I've bought 10 grand cars and 80 grand cars but I've never checked the interior edges of the trunk lid before. Life lesson. We got screwed. Just need to get the car gone one way or the other now but a respray is not an option.
Netslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:00 PM   #17
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:

I have been PM'ng davet435 about his car and he just noticed some additional areas on his car as well that I don't believe he noticed until I started talking about where all the issues were on my car. It sucks and this is a life lesson for me as I will never leave a lot for the rest of my life until I have gone over the car front to back, top to bottom - I don't care how long it takes.

Guess the question for me is the car had test drive miles on it and had been there for some time according to the car searches I did when I started looking. The real question is how the hell did the dealer not know or better yet did they and just hoped the dirty car would hide it? I mean I've bought 10 grand cars and 80 grand cars but I've never checked the interior edges of the trunk lid before. Life lesson. We got screwed. Just need to get the car gone one way or the other now but a respray is not an option.
Sounds like a really shitty dealership. Should report them to GM.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:07 PM   #18
08z51c6

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS - A8, MRC, NPP
Quote:

Not trying to be a jerk but if your paying that much money for a car I would demand that the car be cleaned and detailed. I understand why some people may not want the dealer to clean the vehicle and prefer to do it themselves but if it's not clean you can't see any paint defects. Always take delivery on a clear sunny day or if that's not possible, in a well lit showroom. I also bring a LED light with me just in case. Why do I do all of this? Because I went through the same thing you are now with a black GTI I took delivery of at night. The paint had tiny white spots all over the car and a good size scratch on the lower part of the drivers door. After threatening legal action the dealer paid to have the car professionally detailed and the drivers door repainted. Ever since then I'm extremely careful when I take delivery of a car. Hopefully your dealer and GM makes it right for you.

Current Vehicle:
2001 C5 Corvette

Previous Cars:
2009 C6 Z06
2008 C6 Z51 PKG
08z51c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:08 PM   #19
davet435
davet

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic Black
Send a message via Yahoo to davet435
Yep...I think I would go the GM customer service route. If you have to go up more than a couple rungs on the ladder then I would call a lawyer. BS that the dealership was going to help you until he saw the pictures and realized it wasn't warranty work he could bill GM for.
2/8/16 3000 TPW 2/29
2/18/16 3400
3/3/16 3800
3/4/16 4B00
3/5/16 4300
3/7/16 4200!!!
davet435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:12 PM   #20
08z51c6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet435 View Post
Yep...I think I would go the GM customer service route. If you have to go up more than a couple rungs on the ladder then I would call a lawyer. BS that the dealership was going to help you until he saw the pictures and realized it wasn't warranty work he could bill GM for.
GM needs to take that car back and give him a new one. I'd pick another color too.

Current Vehicle:
2001 C5 Corvette

Previous Cars:
2009 C6 Z06
2008 C6 Z51 PKG
Old 02-17-2016, 10:15 PM   #21
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
I understand not trusting the dealership to wash the car, but man I would never leave the dealership with a dirty car. I would make them bring it to an offsite location or something. Overall while this is truly terrible, sounds like you just wanted out of there and didn't look over the car very well.
I've left many dealers with dirty cars because I know how they treat them. They might call their department the detail area but in my experience it's ex con's on parole or kids who wash cars from the bottom to the top with the same bucket and rag. I honestly didn't think I needed to be so anal about it. Whatever the case, yes - we got screwed and we both feel like idiots. Either way they need to make it right. It's not our fault the car has defects that should have been found before it left the factory. Maybe we can buy a 5th gen? Did the Canadian's have a better work ethic as far as making sure cars don't leave like this? I don't know, it's our first Camaro.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:15 PM   #22
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08z51c6 View Post
Not trying to be a jerk but if your paying that much money for a car I would demand that the car be cleaned and detailed. I understand why some people may not want the dealer to clean the vehicle and prefer to do it themselves but if it's not clean you can't see any paint defects. Always take delivery on a clear sunny day or if that's not possible, in a well lit showroom. I also bring a LED light with me just in case. Why do I do all of this? Because I went through the same thing you are now with a black GTI I took delivery of at night. The paint had tiny white spots all over the car and a good size scratch on the lower part of the drivers door. After threatening legal action the dealer paid to have the car professionally detailed and the drivers door repainted. Ever since then I'm extremely careful when I take delivery of a car. Hopefully your dealer and GM makes it right for you.
I hope so too. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:20 PM   #23
davet435
davet

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic Black
Send a message via Yahoo to davet435
Quote:

I detail cars, he has a buddy that details cars. I'm sure his buddy told him, like any Detailer would, don't let the dealer touch the car any more than they already have.

Even on a dirty car you will see bad paint. I know it's hard to believe that this stuff isn't visible except in certain circumstances, but believe me they aren't. The stuff in the door jams and trunk hinges you could see if you looked, but I sure didn't think about checking the hinges for paint.
2/8/16 3000 TPW 2/29
2/18/16 3400
3/3/16 3800
3/4/16 4B00
3/5/16 4300
3/7/16 4200!!!
davet435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:23 PM   #24
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Quote:
GM needs to take that car back and give him a new one. I'd pick another color too.
My wife is so pissed I don't think she wants another Camaro and I can't say I blame her as I am pretty salty at the moment as well. If she does I am 99.999% positive it will not be Mosaic Black. It's her car so it's up to her on what she wants to do. I'm not going to play pass the buck, that's just not going to happen. I head back to the sandbox in two and a half weeks so the ball needs to start rolling tomorrow.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:34 PM   #25
08z51c6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet435 View Post
I detail cars, he has a buddy that details cars. I'm sure his buddy told him, like any Detailer would, don't let the dealer touch the car any more than they already have.

Even on a dirty car you will see bad paint. I know it's hard to believe that this stuff isn't visible except in certain circumstances, but believe me they aren't. The stuff in the door jams and trunk hinges you could see if you looked, but I sure didn't think about checking the hinges for paint.
Depends on the dealer, I've bought several cars from my dealer and feel confident in letting them prep and detail the car.

Paint issues suck because once you take delivery of the car the dealer can be a dick if they want to. Better to catch them before signing on the dotted line if you can. After the crap I went through with my GTI I will never sign for a car until I've done a complete and thorough inspection.

Current Vehicle:
2001 C5 Corvette

Previous Cars:
2009 C6 Z06
2008 C6 Z51 PKG
Old 02-18-2016, 02:16 AM   #26
Hyper1SS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 NPP
Wow!! That is unreal and so unacceptable. I have worked for GM 16 years now and that makes me sad to see this get through and out to the customer. Being a GM employee I want to apologize and say how sorry I am! We build the Silverado and Sierra where I work and our paint system does excellent work and every inch no matter where is painted perfectly. Yes they moved the Camaro and it is built in Michigan now but that is no excuse. They also build the Cadillac there so I wonder if they are having paint issues to with those to? I know me personally would not let something that looks like that leave the plant. I would have not accepted it and told them I want a new one ordered. I also would not want a brand new car repainted at a dealership. I hope you get things worked out and the answers you deserve.

2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 with body color hood vents, Silver broken 5 spoke wheels, NPP dual exhaust, Dark Night Interior Spectrum Lighting, Illuminated door sills plates.

Upgrades include: Roto-Fab intake, Mishimoto catch can, MBRP cat-back Race exhaust, TSP 1 7/8 headers, EFI E85 Flex Fuel, MRR M017 graphite wheels with Nitto N555 G2 tires, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, Powder coated Brembo calipers, BMR suspension, Eibach sport springs, Emblempros fender badges

Order ID: TDHQMS
1100 on 01/07/2016 at Penske Chevrolet
6000 on 02/23/2016 Delivered to customer
Hyper1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:10 AM   #27
MikeyCamaro

Drives: 2015 Challenger SRT
I'm still trying to figure out... are all black paint jobs like that and some people simply don't notice because they don't hit it with an LED flashlight? Or are some OK and some not? It looks to me like they underestimated the number of coats necessary to cover.

Mike
MikeyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:45 AM   #28
suzook

Drives: camaro
I believe mosiac black has an extra step than the regular colors. Seems like the base black is not thick enough.