Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-22-2018, 10:31 AM   #99
whitelightning011

Drives: '16 1SS A8 w/ NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by keon718nyc View Post
Well almost crashed last night due to this "Brake Assist" Failure. F*cking car made me loose my noodles. I was going downhill about to hit traffic and slow as can be when all of a sudden my brakes went to shit and same crap listed here almost like anti lock brakes went off out of nowhere Bake assist light came on and felt like metal to metal grind. Well about less then a foot away i stopped behind the car in front of me (dont know how without crashing). I got to a place where i can park and turn off and restart the car and was gone the issue like most had happen here. I am besides myself as that was the closest i came to hitting anything in this car in the past 3 years having it. The A* shudder problem, rear diff groan shit, over heat caused by cooling fan failure that had to be replaced after 2 visits and 2 tows, dead battery issues. What the hell is next? Glad i have 3 months left on this lease hence why i been leasing cars past 25 years. Happy though i did find this post as i see its not uncommon but dangerous as can be. Going to the dealer tomorrow without appt. and dropping my car off until they fix all issues i will not take the thing back. F*ck U GM!
That's really scary and I'm glad you're safe and the car in front of you is safe as well. I see that we're both in NYC. I'm curious, is this the first time it has happened to you?
whitelightning011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:42 AM   #100
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelightning011 View Post
That's really scary and I'm glad you're safe and the car in front of you is safe as well. I see that we're both in NYC. I'm curious, is this the first time it has happened to you?

Yep, And thanks for the kind thoughts! First time it happened and the car is going on 3 years old in December with 15,800 miles on it. I been driving it past few days and nothing has happened like i thought after reading this thread. I was supposed to bring it in today but had no ride home so tomorrow i will bring it to the dealer for this "Brake Assist" failure sh*t, the A8 Shudder crap and Rear diff groan for the 3rd time.
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:26 AM   #101
whitelightning011

Drives: '16 1SS A8 w/ NPP
So I brought up this issue with my dealership and the manager told me that unless the technicians can replicate the issue at the dealership, they can't go ahead replacing any parts on the vehicle. Which I understand, given the warranty requirements between GM and the dealership, but it leaves the customer hanging.

Since this brake issue occurred many months ago for me, the code is no longer stored in the computer. I have no idea where to go from here, save for considering another car if this happens again. Or, if this happens again I can drive it directly to the dealership without restarting the vehicle.
whitelightning011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:54 AM   #102
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
^^This issue seems to have been rectified in the later year Camaros, so GM more than likely know the cause. Given the severity and randomness of it, parts should be replaced whether they can replicate it or not.

Maybe you've already done this, but I would definitely take this higher. Even speak to an attorney. For me, this would be unacceptable.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #103
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
^^This issue seems to have been rectified in the later year Camaros, so GM more than likely know the cause. Given the severity and randomness of it, parts should be replaced whether they can replicate it or not.

Maybe you've already done this, but I would definitely take this higher. Even speak to an attorney. For me, this would be unacceptable.
The issue could easily be software based.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:52 PM   #104
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
^^Whatever the case, it's an unsafe situation for the owner, the occupants and possibly another unlucky driver. If it's software, great, fix it!! The casual attitude by the dealer for an issue like this is pretty disturbing to say the least.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #105
lDejavul

Drives: Camaro SS
This happened to me after owning my car for like two months. In front of my garage going about 5. Restarted the car and it was fine. Then it happened to me on the street just yesterday. I saw the message service brake assist for like two seconds. Will the dealer be able to pull any good info. I dont have a warranty anymore and will likely have to pay just to get it looked at.
Dual Mode Exhaust
MRC
Splash Guards

1G1FG1R74G0124089
lDejavul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:39 AM   #106
davidmx787

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS 2016
I've had this issue happened also for like 3-4 times. One of them was on the highway, very risky. Same thing as everyone, restarted the car and everything was fine. Does someone have more detailed info on what to tell the dealer to check? I am a bit unlucky as i'm in Mexico and it'll be so difficult to get them to fix anything here. F###$ camaro has just been problems and problems. I regret the day i bought it!
davidmx787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:13 AM   #107
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmx787 View Post
I've had this issue happened also for like 3-4 times. One of them was on the highway, very risky. Same thing as everyone, restarted the car and everything was fine. Does someone have more detailed info on what to tell the dealer to check? I am a bit unlucky as i'm in Mexico and it'll be so difficult to get them to fix anything here. F###$ camaro has just been problems and problems. I regret the day i bought it!

Maybe the dealer can check and see if any codes were thrown in the computer. Gonna be a hard one to show them at the dealer otherwise. Like most of us here, when we restarted the car the problem is gone.
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:57 AM   #108
mrgoodbytes

Drives: '18 2SS/EU (+Recaros) M6 Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by m666etal View Post
Yes it is a software upgrade/reinstall. I showed the service rep a picture of the Service Brake Assist message on my dash and they checked on their GM portal and he said that there was bulletin from GM for this issue and the resolution was to upgrade/reinstall the program for this module.

Does anyone know if this is possible to perform yourself? I am willing to purchase the required equipment. I don't have an official GM sales/service channel where I live.

And this is somewhat of a "better safe than sorry" deal.

As I understand this is the brake booster that stops working. Is there some sort of electric valve connected to the brake booster that can be set up by an out of scope sensor reading? I really don't understand why this is happening and even less why a software patch would solve it.
mrgoodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:16 AM   #109
sadpanda

Drives: 2014 ATS 2.0T 6MT
I'm willing to bet this problem is isolated to N/A v8s... The earlier posts tell the story: As part of the brake safety system they monitor engine vacuum (as they have since the early 2000's and possibly earlier), if there is a dip in vacuum the system codes. I believe my '03 suburban has a 12v vacuum pump that activates if this failure event is detected. By the sounds of it, there is no backup pump on this application so you are getting very ugly unassisted braking.

Without knowing all of the possible diagnostic codes, 'unplausible vacuum' and BCM communication loss makes me think either there is a wiring/sensor issue. However not everyone is reporting the BCM code so it could be there are some goofy vacuum swings when you transition from part throttle to brake. Some high sample rate data logs would be lovely, specifically watching the throttle channels and vacuum.

The initial hit of the brake could be causing the vacuum drop (many vehicles include a vacuum reserve tank for exactly this reason), it could be bad booster. Could be bad timing of an emissions valve opening vs throttle closing. It could be vacuum swings/harmonics due to cam lope/VVT/DoD/etc. It might be as simple as a reprogram or an inline damper/filter for the vacuum sensor, could be as major as break booster/tracing EVERY vacuum line.
sadpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:44 AM   #110
scottcolem

Drives: 2019 ZL1
i have had this message 4-5 times, but haven noticed diminished braking. I have a 19 ZL1
scottcolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:43 AM   #111
CowmaroV8

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
I just experienced this issue and thanks to checking in the forums here had it taken care of with a service bulletin. I understand this is an old forum, but with low mileage cars still out there, this issue is still very real in 2020 and I wanted to help anyone I could.

My brake assist warning came on and I lost about half my braking pressure and it felt that ABS was on 100% of the time. This is mentioned in the owners manual as normal behavior when the service message occurs.

I turned the car on the next day and the issue was gone but took it for service anyway. They told me there was a service bulletin and they will simply run a diagnostic and if no issues are found other than the TSB then that's all they will charge. It happened 8 hours prior the night before the computer had all the error codes stored so they were able to pull them up without any active CEL or Error Codes.

Should be a recall and not a TSB but just needed to share this as these forums are the reason I knew of the fix ahead of time. Maybe a diagnostic fee is worth the piece of mind to get the update needed rather than waiting for the brakes to fail in traffic as mine did.

"Internal software fault in EBCM. Reprogram EBCM per BULL#17-NA-048"
Attached Images

CowmaroV8 is offline   Reply With Quote