Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-14-2017, 09:47 AM   #43
Zepp

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
Where did GM say they would cover abuse? Yeah they will cover the car when tracked and 100% stock, but I highly doubt they will cover abuse.
Just because there is some rubber in the wheel wells is not proof of abuse, I would say I was at the track the other night. Have you ever been to the drag strip? I've had rubber all inside my wheel wells, as well as rubber down the sides of my car when I go.

Now, these cars are all computerized and they do store a lot of data, that is where they could probably show that it was abused regularly. Still, GM would have to prove that it was abused, rubber in the wheel wells won't be proof of abuse. Me personally, I would expect them to cover the warranty if it broke at the track. They would have to prove it didn't. I would file a lawsuit and make them prove it. I would also drag the dealer into court that made the initial repairs.

The last thing GM wants is a bunch of bad PR showing that this Camaro was built for racing at the drag strips and road courses, yet, they're not going to honor a warranty because of track abuse. My car has track mode, launch control and the PDR option. They have spent lots of money promoting this activity called racing, I know that the court would agree with me. That would be like when I'm taking one of my race bikes on the track and having Yamaha say that we're going to void warranty because it had too much high rpm racing on it, the bikes were built for that purpose.

With all that said, I would not recommend anyone go around doing standing burnouts everywhere either, for many reasons, common sense must prevail.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:58 AM   #44
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepp View Post
Just because there is some rubber in the wheel wells is not proof of abuse, I would say I was at the track the other night. Have you ever been to the drag strip? I've had rubber all inside my wheel wells, as well as rubber down the sides of my car when I go.

Now, these cars are all computerized and they do store a lot of data, that is where they could probably show that it was abused regularly. Still, GM would have to prove that it was abused, rubber in the wheel wells won't be proof of abuse. Me personally, I would expect them to cover the warranty if it broke at the track. They would have to prove it didn't. I would file a lawsuit and make them prove it. I would also drag the dealer into court that made the initial repairs.

The last thing GM wants is a bunch of bad PR showing that this Camaro was built for racing at the drag strips and road courses, yet, they're not going to honor a warranty because of track abuse. My car has track mode, launch control and the PDR option. They have spent lots of money promoting this activity called racing, I know that the court would agree with me. That would be like when I'm taking one of my race bikes on the track and having Yamaha say that we're going to void warranty because it had too much high rpm racing on it, the bikes were built for that purpose.

With all that said, I would not recommend anyone go around doing standing burnouts everywhere either, for many reasons, common sense must prevail.
I didn't say what he did was abuse. As I said in my reply to the OP, I was just stating in general that I doubt GM would cover abuse to the vehicle and I wouldn't classify a typical track/drag strip day as abuse since the car is designed for it.

I would of course save receipts, slips, etc as proof you went to a track in case a dealer tries to pull BS move.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:55 AM   #45
Bradl1982

Drives: 17 Camaro 2SS
Damn man that sucks. I was expecting to come in here and see that the car was modded. burnouts, tracking and dragstrips shouldn't be abuse. That's what people buy these cars for.
Bradl1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:19 PM   #46
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Smile Celebrate 50 Years of the Camaro with an awesome ZL1 Burnout

Here's an Official Chevy video. Don't ever tell me burnouts aren't allowed.

Seems there's "kids" everywhere smokin' tires!

These are Chevrolet kids, you know, the people who design, test, and manufacture the Camaro.

I'm guessing Al Oppenheiser has smoked more tires than John Force.

This is a tech, and a service dept trying to turn a crappy warranty pay ticket into a customer pay ticket that pays 1/3 MORE.

If you could instantly make your paycheck 33% Larger, you might try this too.

I bet corporate will green-light this one.

Quote:
Published on Aug 8, 2016
How will you add your Camaro chapter to the 50th anniversary celebration? Use the hashtag #CamaroFifty.

Learn more about the 50th anniversary of the Chevrolet Camaro: http://www.camarofifty.com.

Connect with Chevrolet Camaro fans on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/chevycamaro and follow @Chevrolet on Twitter http://twitter.com/chevrolet
Category
Autos & Vehicles
License
Standard YouTube License

Last edited by camaro5; 05-15-2017 at 11:40 PM.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:38 PM   #47
Drysideshooter

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
This is speculation, but I am wondering if the dealer that did the axle repair didn't do something correctly? Used the wrong bolts or something? When you are back in for the same repair a week later he is concerned that GM will question their repair work a week before and possibly expect them to make the repair correctly this time without further reimbursement from GM. Instead of chancing that, he raises the abuse issue and puts it on you.

I am guessing that if you would have taken the car to the same dealer with a different problem this time, even if he thought it was "abuse" he would have probably repaired it and been reimbursed from GM. Taking it back to them for the same problem a week later seems to bring the quality of his repair work into question.
Drysideshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:26 AM   #48
FLO-RS

Drives: 2010 Honda Fit Sport 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drysideshooter View Post
This is speculation, but I am wondering if the dealer that did the axle repair didn't do something correctly? Used the wrong bolts or something? When you are back in for the same repair a week later he is concerned that GM will question their repair work a week before and possibly expect them to make the repair correctly this time without further reimbursement from GM. Instead of chancing that, he raises the abuse issue and puts it on you.

I am guessing that if you would have taken the car to the same dealer with a different problem this time, even if he thought it was "abuse" he would have probably repaired it and been reimbursed from GM. Taking it back to them for the same problem a week later seems to bring the quality of his repair work into question.
My thoughts exactly. Mighty shady of them to flag your car as abused in the warranty system to cover up their own shoddy repair work.
FLO-RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:04 AM   #49
Zepp

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
There's no way that doing some burnouts should've sheared off bolts. I know guys that were frequently spraying 150-200 shots of nitrous on their old Fbody cars at the track, dead hooking with slicks, numerous times before their stock rear ends blew up. Unless there is a lot more to this story about what was being done with the car, I'm not buying it. The dealer must've done something wrong for it to shear the bolts a week later.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:23 AM   #50
Drysideshooter

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLO-RS View Post
My thoughts exactly. Mighty shady of them to flag your car as abused in the warranty system to cover up their own shoddy repair work.
I have to say that it seems like a fairly obvious possibility to me. The dealer is worried that GM will make them do the repair again without reimbursement since they just made the same repair a week ago. Instead of risking that they flag the car as "abused". What is getting abused, it seems, is the owner of the car, by this dealership.
Drysideshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:06 PM   #51
Christian_smith94

Drives: 2016 Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drysideshooter View Post

The only problem with that theory is that I broke opposing sides. So the first repair was the driver side half shaft, this repair needed is the passenger side half shaft now. Otherwise I'd completely feel like that's a strong possibility.
Christian_smith94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:07 PM   #52
Christian_smith94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepp View Post
There's no way that doing some burnouts should've sheared off bolts. I know guys that were frequently spraying 150-200 shots of nitrous on their old Fbody cars at the track, dead hooking with slicks, numerous times before their stock rear ends blew up. Unless there is a lot more to this story about what was being done with the car, I'm not buying it. The dealer must've done something wrong for it to shear the bolts a week later.
See I was thinking the same thing, I know people that aren't having any issues on stock axles and driveshafts even pushing 700+ horsepower. So it kind of blows my mind that I've broken all that stuff already on stock output.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:25 PM   #53
FLO-RS

Drives: 2010 Honda Fit Sport 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_smith94 View Post
The only problem with that theory is that I broke opposing sides. So the first repair was the driver side half shaft, this repair needed is the passenger side half shaft now. Otherwise I'd completely feel like that's a strong possibility.
Could be the passenger side had an existing stress fracture that they overlooked when they replaced the driver side. Is there a way to tell what they billed GM versus what they actually fixed the first time?
FLO-RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:24 PM   #54
Christian_smith94

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLO-RS View Post
Could be the passenger side had an existing stress fracture that they overlooked when they replaced the driver side. Is there a way to tell what they billed GM versus what they actually fixed the first time?
That's most likely the case too. Considering how closely it broke in time. This whole mess is stressful. I'm just gonna send GM the bill for this repair. It's been close to a weak and still no word from corporate and my lawyer has yet to return the phone call either. Starting to get really ****ing pissed off actually.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:07 AM   #55
Feefsmaro

Drives: 2017 white 1ss a8
Find a new dealer
Feefsmaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axleshaft, blocked, transmission, voided, warranty