Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-03-2019, 12:25 PM   #1
GT-ER

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Hard breaking at high speeds, what does you car feel like?

I do a lot of highway pulls of maybe 40-150 or 60-140, stuff like that. What I've noticed however is that no matter which pad I use (OEM, PowerStop, EBC Yellows), they feel inadequate at those speeds. I can stomp on the brake pedal and the car doesn't feel like it's even close to locking the front tires (not that I want to, but I want it to feel like it's at least capable of doing it).

Anyone have this issue? What have you done about it? Fluid, Brake Lines, other pads?

My braking feels amazing at lower speeds, but up on top it just feels spongy and lacking.
2018 ZL1 - Whipple with 3.25/9.10 pulleys, Katech 103mm TB, Rotofab Big Gulp Intake, Weapon X heat exchangers, 2" LT catless headers, AWE Resonated/Touring exhaust, NGK 6510 plugs, Granatelli 8mm Spark Plug Wires, 160* T-stat, Meth with dual 14GPH nozzles (running 100% meth), JMS voltage booster for LPFP - 806whp/808wtrq on 93
GT-ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:09 PM   #2
viurniel
@viurniel

Drives: 19 ZLE A10, 15 2SS, 90 300ZXTT
Brake fluid makes a big difference at those speeds - if you are doing the pulls continuously. You can also upgrade the lines to remove some of the soft pedal feel. There is someone here selling carbon lines, or you can get stainless for a lower cost.
viurniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:27 PM   #3
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Initial bite and follow through feel great for me when braking from high speeds like that. Perhaps a bleed or fluid change is in order. Upgraded lines as noted above will help.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:33 PM   #4
philpacs

Drives: Camaro ZL1 A10
Interesting I posted observations from the track recently and mentioned this. Coming into turn 17 at Sebring close to 150mph and threshold braking is scary at first since the car doesn't seem to want to stop well then slows progressively more as the speed drop, it's not linear. They were new OEM pads put on a few days before so by the end of the day they seemed better so they needed to bed in more, multiple hot laps. On the street now they feel much better and I did a higher speed pull today and they stopped well albeit with a little chatter, maybe some deposits. So I would add make sure you bed them well.
philpacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:53 PM   #5
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
DOT 4 Brake Fluid, Castrol SRF, Brembo 64, etc, etc and maybe upgraded brake lines. Have done a considerable amount of track time with mine and have never let me down. OEM pads are amazingly good on the track. Obviously track pads would be even better, but I am fine with the OEMs.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:08 AM   #6
Snakebt6

Drives: Rally Green 2020 ZL1 1LE A10
Mine stops like a monster..its really impressive..Ive got Castrol SRF.

I went with the SRF as I track the car and after having some brake fade with the stock fluid I switched.

Cant say I noticed a whole lot of difference in the pedal and feel after the switch.

Either way ive always been impressed with the stock brakes.
Snakebt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:14 AM   #7
GT-ER

The rotor has a bluish hue after the last hard braking which I'm assuming is pad transfer, which is good correct? The car brakes better when it's like this but the rotors turn silver again after a couple of days of regular driving which I'm assuming is because the friction removes the pads material that was transfered. With that being said though, do I just have to keep breaking in the pads every couple of weeks?

I may swap lines and fluid to see what happens, philpacs' description is what made me think about pad material transferring and if maybe I just need to do the pad brake in procedure more often.
2018 ZL1 - Whipple with 3.25/9.10 pulleys, Katech 103mm TB, Rotofab Big Gulp Intake, Weapon X heat exchangers, 2" LT catless headers, AWE Resonated/Touring exhaust, NGK 6510 plugs, Granatelli 8mm Spark Plug Wires, 160* T-stat, Meth with dual 14GPH nozzles (running 100% meth), JMS voltage booster for LPFP - 806whp/808wtrq on 93
Old 11-04-2019, 09:22 AM   #8
kramard

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-ER View Post
The rotor has a bluish hue after the last hard braking which I'm assuming is pad transfer, which is good correct? The car brakes better when it's like this but the rotors turn silver again after a couple of days of regular driving which I'm assuming is because the friction removes the pads material that was transfered. With that being said though, do I just have to keep breaking in the pads every couple of weeks?

I may swap lines and fluid to see what happens, philpacs' description is what made me think about pad material transferring and if maybe I just need to do the pad brake in procedure more often.
Are you collecting data? Before changing anything really make sure you know why youre changing components. I’m braking from 161 to 50 at vir on stock pads with no issues. Your issue is probably related to heat. Upgrading fluid, pads, rotors etc really won’t (I believe) help you much because all your components are cold. Race pads will only need more heat to work. Tires also need heat to really slow the car down.

My high speed gps logs a deceleration or 1.4g above 120mph, 1.2g to 100mph, and 1.1g below 100. To do that I need warm tires and pads. My zle is fully stock (stock pads, fluid and rotors) and after 7 track days I’ve finally had to fully flush the stock fluid.
kramard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:28 AM   #9
GT-ER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramard View Post
Are you collecting data? Before changing anything really make sure you know why youre changing components. I’m braking from 161 to 50 at vir on stock pads with no issues. Your issue is probably related to heat. Upgrading fluid, pads, rotors etc really won’t (I believe) help you much because all your components are cold. Race pads will only need more heat to work. Tires also need heat to really slow the car down.

My high speed gps logs a deceleration or 1.4g above 120mph, 1.2g to 100mph, and 1.1g below 100. To do that I need warm tires and pads. My zle is fully stock (stock pads, fluid and rotors) and after 7 track days I’ve finally had to fully flush the stock fluid.
So now that you say that, you make a good point that my brakes are mostly cool when I do the hard braking, and then they are hot as hell (obviously). Is there maybe a pad or something that is better suited for those kinds of hard stops?

I don't have any way of collecting data, and the only parts I've changed were because on insane dusting on stock pad, and then no braking on the powerstops. The EBC's seem to be in the middle dust wise with stock pad bite.

So, looking at it that way, what could make my car brake better with cool brakes? The tires aren't an issue because they don't ever lock up (or activate abs). Could there be a better low temp pad?
Old 11-04-2019, 10:49 AM   #10
kramard

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i
Quote:
So now that you say that, you make a good point that my brakes are mostly cool when I do the hard braking, and then they are hot as hell (obviously). Is there maybe a pad or something that is better suited for those kinds of hard stops?

I don't have any way of collecting data, and the only parts I've changed were because on insane dusting on stock pad, and then no braking on the powerstops. The EBC's seem to be in the middle dust wise with stock pad bite.

So, looking at it that way, what could make my car brake better with cool brakes? The tires aren't an issue because they don't ever lock up (or activate abs). Could there be a better low temp pad?
They squeal really bad but maybe see if you can fit an hp+? They’re a low temp pad. You could also preheat the brakes before you pull? Might be hard to do if you’re doing random pulls. St43 might be another pad to consider but don’t know if it’ll fit.

For data grab an xps160 gps and buy the race chrono pro app. You can log your deceleration Gs and see how much g you’re pulling.
kramard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:04 AM   #11
ZLCHAPO

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I've noticed that when I get on the brakes fairly hard after doing a pull my traction control light comes on, not my ABS. What could cause that?
ZLCHAPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:05 PM   #12
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLCHAPO View Post
I've noticed that when I get on the brakes fairly hard after doing a pull my traction control light comes on, not my ABS. What could cause that?
I'm pretty sure that light comes on for either traction control or stability control. If the ABS light comes on, you have a problem.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:32 PM   #13
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:

I'd go back to the stock pads, upgrade fluid and hoses. Do the complete bedding procedure. Be OK with the dust, it means you have performance brakes that are working properly.

Low dust ceramics are for show cars, just my opinion.

150 mph+ capable brakes will produce massive brake dust. ZL1s I've driven that were properly bed in OE pads and good Dot 4have great warm or cool braking.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:30 PM   #14
GT-ER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
I'd go back to the stock pads, upgrade fluid and hoses. Do the complete bedding procedure. Be OK with the dust, it means you have performance brakes that are working properly.

Low dust ceramics are for show cars, just my opinion.

150 mph+ capable brakes will produce massive brake dust. ZL1s I've driven that were properly bed in OE pads and good Dot 4have great warm or cool braking.
I don't run ceramic pads right now, and the oem ones stopped identical to the ones I have now with more dust than the ones I have now.

I'm on a business trip right now so I have to wait till I get back to test some more.