Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-01-2019, 05:05 PM   #85
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Here is a novel idea...

DSC should provide a recommended initial setting for both platforms with clear instructions of how to do so, so the results are not worse than the stock settings, if there is indeed improvements all around. It all feels and seems like a half-assed release to me.
The controllers work, no doubt about it. They allow you to calibrate MRC shocks, where factory does not. Concern you have is about calibration DSC provides for 6th Gen Camaro, not being optimized for a ZL1, very understandable.

Gen 6 Camaro is a base calibration, for your convenience, so you can make adjustments from there. It's plug and play, because it gets you up and going. The controller was designed to give us control over our shocks. I don't see how any company would have resources to create calibrations for every application, driving style, and track. Same with autocross and drag racing.

You have likes and dislikes about a base calibration, not the controller, so why not work on what's not working for you, and create a calibration to suit your personal needs?
MadMotorMagazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:27 PM   #86
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
In for updates! I'd love to learn more about this controller.
shinbone, if I can help, shoot me an email any time, hotrod@gvtc.com. Be aware, V4 is a suspension controller DSC Sport sells to provide you with the ability to calibrate your own shock settings, and make your shocks active. It comes with a base Camaro calibration that you may need to tweak for you car and driving style.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:47 PM   #87
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCVTEC View Post
sucks that wifi is going away, so I guess cable will do

great info guys, thank you for joining.. big thanks to MadMotorMagazine

so the ZL1 map is based on the SS 1le? perhaps that may explain the soft settings in the comfort zone...

here is what I changed to remedy that:

Touring mode - G Comfort Parameters - default rate from 1 to 7 (% of normal calibration) ; sensitivity - went from 20 to 17 (how quickly it comes out of comfort zone); G rate max - went from 35 to 30 (3.5Gs to 3.0Gs below which the comfort mode is on)

Sport mode - default rate - went from 1 to 10; sensitivity - stayed at 15; G Rate Max stayed at 30

Track mode - default rate - went from 10 to 15, sensitivity - stayed at 15, G Rate Max - went from 30 to 25

now on the street the car is simply amazing!! comfortable, compliant, don't want to stop driving where as before (the tuning revision) I was a little annoyed after a 30 min drive...

again, this revision has nothing to do with track driving... only straight no real maneuvering driving

track impression were:
insane braking ability, better than before somehow

great corner entry

good balance mid corner (neutral)... perhaps the car has always been this way but in the last session after the DSC install it was very noticeable and confidence inspiring, and track conditions were horrible

coming out of the corner a little better than stock but there seems to be a lot of room for improvement... 2nd gear exit is still rather sketchy on the stock non-R 20" good years
**** not sure how to do deal with that yet... planning on going to at least the ZLE Spec R Good Years or something similar

Perhaps after the tire change I could use a little help with the tuning on that part
Increased braking ability you like is active feature of DSC controller. Calibration uses brake pressure input to keep front end from diving, maximizes tire contact patch, and that's what grips the pavement to brake better. If you find it needs more front compression and more rear rebound during aggressive braking, it's an easy tweak. Looks like you've got a handle on it!
Old 04-01-2019, 11:50 PM   #88
DOHCVTEC

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
glad you are back in the discussion MadMotor
It makes sense that this calibration for the SS 1LE could use a little tweaking for the ZL1 because of the weight mostly, front end weight..

can anyone tell me if the spring rates are higher in the ZL1 the the SS1LE?? I suspect they are. If so, I believe a rebound adjustment is in order

Also, I have made a few more tweaks to the comfort settings and the Touring mode.. Today was day one of the Second Revision and I love it!!

The car is flatter, tighter, more fun to drive in Touring mode... Still plenty comfortable!

I can send the file to anyone who wants, feel free to use your software to open it and make sure there is nothing crazy going on there..

I would love for someone else to try it out
Attached Images

Last edited by DOHCVTEC; 04-02-2019 at 12:07 AM.
DOHCVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:00 AM   #89
DOHCVTEC

now, these changes in VELOCITY I made were only in Touring mode!
I did not touch the VELOCITY in Sport and Track mode
BUT, I did tighten up the comfort setting in all 3 Modes (progressively)

OK, now,... Unlike in Touring mode which was set to -10 for Front Rebound,..... in Sport and Track modes, the Front Rebound in Low speed, Mid speed, and High speed are all set to 0 out of the box

Compression for the Front in Low, Mid, and High are all set to +10 out of the box

I am of the thought that the ZL1 can use even tighter rebound for the Sport and Track modes, at least in Low and Mid.. not sure about High yet but probably there too

I'm thinking start at +10

So if the front springs rates are higher in the ZL1s as they should be, I think this may help us ZL1 guys out quite a bit

Anyone else feel the same?

also more good news. I am able to data log the controller using the usb wire without crashing the system again.. not sure what I was doing wrong before or why it kept crashing but seems to be a lot happier now
Old 04-02-2019, 01:51 PM   #90
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMotorMagazine View Post
Plug in direct with cable, power off, or remove the unit and plug cable in. DSC put info out there awhile back about WiFi connection, and in many instances there were interference that couldn't be resolved, because so many different things can occur. You can create and test a product, but until it goes out to be in all types of conditions and unique situations, a determination can't be made if some or all can be overcome. It was determined that DSC would no longer recommend using the WiFi feature, because it would involve scrapping the entire thing and starting over. I've never used the WiFi connection, and don't trust any WiFi connection over plugging in direct. Each type of software you use has to be configured for the port you want to use in communicating with a DSC Sport Controller, your computer does not do that for you. If all this was Mac, I'd expect it, but it's DOS/IBM/PC based, or whatever it's called these days, and I've never liked it. So be sure to look at those settings for each software, loader and tuner.
Thank you for replying!

Here is what i've done:

Not used wifi ever, just see it appearing as active on the laptop.

changed the UAT driver to COM1
changed the DSC Tuner software to COM1
Plugged cable into each USB port, found COM1
Used DSC Sport Loader program...can detect the device on COM1, can write to it (wrote the latest firmware to test functionality).
When I attempt to connect for a Read All within the DSC Tuner software on COM1, it cannot find the device.

I've even matched the baud rate between the UAT driver and the DSC Tuner software.

I've rebooted the computer, unplugged the device, reconnected the device, closed the DSC programs, started them back up. All this back and forth while COM1 is selected and partially working (DSC Sport Loader program continues to detect and read the device)

So....that's where I'm at and why I'm a little frustrated.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:37 PM   #91
DOHCVTEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
Thank you for replying!

Here is what i've done:

Not used wifi ever, just see it appearing as active on the laptop.

changed the UAT driver to COM1
changed the DSC Tuner software to COM1
Plugged cable into each USB port, found COM1
Used DSC Sport Loader program...can detect the device on COM1, can write to it (wrote the latest firmware to test functionality).
When I attempt to connect for a Read All within the DSC Tuner software on COM1, it cannot find the device.

I've even matched the baud rate between the UAT driver and the DSC Tuner software.

I've rebooted the computer, unplugged the device, reconnected the device, closed the DSC programs, started them back up. All this back and forth while COM1 is selected and partially working (DSC Sport Loader program continues to detect and read the device)

So....that's where I'm at and why I'm a little frustrated.

have you tired a different computer?
Old 04-03-2019, 09:21 AM   #92
F1FTY

Quote:
have you tired a different computer?
Not yet. My only other computer is my MacBook but I’ll try running that in VM
Old 04-04-2019, 02:01 PM   #93
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

Quote:
Not yet. My only other computer is my MacBook but I’ll try running that in VM
I'm a Mac fella, hate PC's, but anything automotive forces me to have a laptop, and Windows 10 is the worst! I have Windows on my Mac Pro desktop to run Cosworth, but don't know anyone who has MacBook w/Windows for DSC Sport software. More than likely compatibility issue on Mac Windows side of things, neither program intended to be run Mac Windows, and unfortunately not supported. My best suggestion is to borrow a buddy's laptop, or do like I did, and pick up a Dell at Walmart, or... maybe someone has figured out settings that work, and will chime in...
Old 04-04-2019, 08:30 PM   #94
F1FTY

Quote:
I'm a Mac fella, hate PC's, but anything automotive forces me to have a laptop, and Windows 10 is the worst! I have Windows on my Mac Pro desktop to run Cosworth, but don't know anyone who has MacBook w/Windows for DSC Sport software. More than likely compatibility issue on Mac Windows side of things, neither program intended to be run Mac Windows, and unfortunately not supported. My best suggestion is to borrow a buddy's laptop, or do like I did, and pick up a Dell at Walmart, or... maybe someone has figured out settings that work, and will chime in...
All of my issues have been with my newer Dell laptop running Windows 10.

The MacBook with VM runs windows 8.1 but I haven’t tried the dsc with it yet. That’s my backup plan since I can’t get it to work on the dell
Old 04-04-2019, 09:45 PM   #95
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

Quote:
All of my issues have been with my newer Dell laptop running Windows 10.

The MacBook with VM runs windows 8.1 but I haven’t tried the dsc with it yet. That’s my backup plan since I can’t get it to work on the dell
That's odd, I bought a cheap Dell at Walmart with crappy Windows 10, and I got it to work. Is this a case where you've never had connection with controller, or just on this computer? Sometimes things get jacked in the downloading, and you've got to trash the offending software and reload it. If you're able to communicate with controller with firmware downloader, and not calibration software, or vice versa, it's not the controller. You may want to call DSC and ask for Tom, he can tell you issues where software installs went south. There's a video on downloading and installing, but don't think it addresses how a previous install can create issues, without trashing all the old files. What I'd do is completely trash previous downloads and all related files, pull your controller out, have cable ready to plug in, call Tom, have him walk you through download, install, and connection to controller. Be sure to call him right before lunch EST, and if he get pissy, tell him you read on the internet that he's a Camaro racist, lol!
Old 04-04-2019, 09:59 PM   #96
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

If you ever upgrade to DSC Tractive RT shocks, you'll experience a whole new level of everything. I use wear lap belt only, in a Recaro Profi seat, with MRC and V3, no problem. Went with RT's, lot's of bearings, solid bushings, and now if I try lap belt only, I'll bruise my arms and gut from the lap belt. A buddy of mine, who's a much better driver than me, tried lap belt only and hit big G's on hard fast sweeper, head went sideways, and nothing he could do until things straightened up. Unbelievable what these Camaros will do with Tractive RT's. Now I've got perfect the throttle map for Whipple supercharger, and seriously upgrade brakes. Acceleration and handling are now far greater than braking. I hope PFC gets a kit together for C7 and Camaro soon, they'd put it back in balance and then some...

It's good to see you're not afraid to try things, making improvements, and having fun!
Old 04-05-2019, 12:05 AM   #97
DOHCVTEC

Quote:
If you ever upgrade to DSC Tractive RT shocks, you'll experience a whole new level of everything. I use wear lap belt only, in a Recaro Profi seat, with MRC and V3, no problem. Went with RT's, lot's of bearings, solid bushings, and now if I try lap belt only, I'll bruise my arms and gut from the lap belt. A buddy of mine, who's a much better driver than me, tried lap belt only and hit big G's on hard fast sweeper, head went sideways, and nothing he could do until things straightened up. Unbelievable what these Camaros will do with Tractive RT's. Now I've got perfect the throttle map for Whipple supercharger, and seriously upgrade brakes. Acceleration and handling are now far greater than braking. I hope PFC gets a kit together for C7 and Camaro soon, they'd put it back in balance and then some...

It's good to see you're not afraid to try things, making improvements, and having fun!
just wondering but what makes the Tractive shocks so much better? reason I'm asking is I thought the MRC shocks are more than fast enough to respond to the controller which is telling them what to do anyway, so one would think that would be as good as it gets for active suspension..
but apparently not so I am wondering why... maybe better range of of control or something?

also, what do you think about the idea of adding more rebound to the ZL1s? I only did it in Tour mode and really like the difference.. car just feels flatter more sporty but still comfortable... I havent messed with Sport or Track velocity values yet but I really think it can help that out too

I also have another question for you... in Sport and Track (but not in Tour for some reason) the Rear Wheel Compression for Mid and High Speed is set to - 20, which seems like a lot... but the rebound is set to + 5 for all shocks speeds... I looked at the GT350 calibration and its the same thing for them too....
I am thinking this is what helps the car out of the corners by letting it squat... can you confirm?

Thanks again!!
Old 04-05-2019, 08:59 AM   #98
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

Quote:
just wondering but what makes the Tractive shocks so much better? reason I'm asking is I thought the MRC shocks are more than fast enough to respond to the controller which is telling them what to do anyway, so one would think that would be as good as it gets for active suspension..
but apparently not so I am wondering why... maybe better range of of control or something?

also, what do you think about the idea of adding more rebound to the ZL1s? I only did it in Tour mode and really like the difference.. car just feels flatter more sporty but still comfortable... I havent messed with Sport or Track velocity values yet but I really think it can help that out too

I also have another question for you... in Sport and Track (but not in Tour for some reason) the Rear Wheel Compression for Mid and High Speed is set to - 20, which seems like a lot... but the rebound is set to + 5 for all shocks speeds... I looked at the GT350 calibration and its the same thing for them too....
I am thinking this is what helps the car out of the corners by letting it squat... can you confirm?

Thanks again!!
Good questions! From what I understand, according to the "Great One" Michael Levitas, our MRC shocks have awesome low range response, but little or no real Med or High range, so his calibrations utilize sensor inputs and active ability to trick the shocks into parroting those ranges, but even though it expands MRC fine tuning range, it doesn't have the same characteristics of a real valved racing damper that specifically controls all ranges, and it's not as fast. Close, but there's a difference. Keep in mind when comparing, you need same driver, conditions, etc. I know guys who can lap me in a Yugo, even if I'm in a Formula 1 car, but what matters is, it makes an improvement for you.

Some Camaro folks have purchased adjustable aftermarket coil-overs, not realizing the control they have over adjustment is limited to high range, and they lose the incredible low speed response MRC has, especially with a DSC controller. What's awesome about MRC and DSC, is how so many inputs that can be tailored for your driving style. Right off the bat, standard calibration helps reduce front-end dive with aggressive braking.

That's why it's so popular among autocross enthusiasts, who know what kind of impact knowledgeable shock adjustments can have. When you enter a slalom and back-side the first cone, you set yourself up for smooth left/right transitions, requires compliance without excessive body roll to get thru with best time, but add to that, ability to come in hot, brake check, set front, and turn in to back side that first cone, and maintain controlled stability. DSC extends MRC's dynamic range and gives it ability to respond to driver inputs immediately.

It's those guys with lots of runs, who are "in-touch" with their cars, who can sense the slightest movements, which impede the cars ability to seamlessly flow with direction changes, by keeping the tires happy. If tires could talk, they'd tell you what they want in a calibration, to maintain the best contact patch, and piss on everything else. Grip is where it's at, so we've got to have our Caddyshack moments, but instead of "Be The Ball" it's "Be The Tire." If you've never watched Caddyshack, check this clip : )

https://youtu.be/sWH811TcckU

In Tour Mode, unless you hit a big pot hole, you shouldn't be using Med/High range. It takes some athletic maneuvers to dance in those ranges. Majority of autocross is spent in low range, which is why MRC cars do so well, especially when drivers are given calibration control. Tour is for normal driving, and intended to provide comfort, but good handling when demanded. DSC calibrations can be tailored for all three modes, and if comfort isn't desired, Tour can be turned into a performance mode as well.

If you tune suspension to keep the tire happy, it improves handling, braking, lap times, autocross runs, drag race E.T., and the car feels noticeably better. Keep up the good work, you're headed in the right direction.

Tags
dsc controller, dsc sport, mag ride, zl1