Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-15-2019, 11:06 AM   #1
MPLJR1222

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
Anyone have Experience with FLOWMASTER - OUTLAW AXLE-BACK?

Seeing if anyone here has any experience with the Flowmaster Outlaw Axleback system.

Youtube videos never do an exhaust justice, and I unfortunately do not know anyone who has this system

Old 05-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #2
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I have the NPP version which is the same thing when the valves are open. It's loud, deep, and drones. If I didn't have the option to close the valves to run through the "stealth mufflers" to tame the drone when cruising around 1500rpm, then I would probably go with a different exhaust. I have cat deletes so that is going to amplify the drone some and increase the volume overall. With cats it could be perfect.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #3
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Going from Borla to Flows, sad.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:59 PM   #4
MAGAUSA

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
I have the NPP version which is the same thing when the valves are open. It's loud, deep, and drones. If I didn't have the option to close the valves to run through the "stealth mufflers" to tame the drone when cruising around 1500rpm, then I would probably go with a different exhaust. I have cat deletes so that is going to amplify the drone some and increase the volume overall. With cats it could be perfect.

I have your exhaust (I think - NPP version) and I don't have any drone. But I also have a manual.
MAGAUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:00 PM   #5
MAGAUSA

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAUSA View Post
I have your exhaust (I think - NPP version) and I don't have any drone. But I also have a manual.

And I have the borla midpipe (no secondaries)
MAGAUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #6
KingLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAUSA View Post
The NPP version still drones with the valves open at cruising speed which would be identical to the non NPP version the OP listed. The NPP version allows the valves close directing the exhaust path from the Outlaw muffler to the 40 series muffler and that eliminates the drone.

If you have not tuned your NPP exhaust valve settings then your valves close when cruising at hwy speeds in all modes and there will not be any drone. I have my valves tuned to stay open under all conditions in track mode which simulates having a Outlaw only system, and it without a doubt drones. It's not horrible and at times I do like it, but I am not sure I would want that 24/7...only reason why I mentioned it because the OP is asking about the NON NPP version.

I have my NPP tuned as follows.

Touring- Exhaust valves closed under all conditions until 4000rpm then they open.

Sport- Exhaust valves open under all conditions, except 8th gear I have them set to close to eliminate drone at cruising speeds 45+ mph.

Track- Exhaust valves open under all conditions which would be similar to pulling the NPP fuse.

Stock programming.

Touring- exhaust valves are pretty much closed under all conditions except start up and wot.

Sport- valves open full time other then they close from 3rd gear under part throttle conditions.

Track- similar sport except the valves don't close until 5th gear part throttle and they open faster in relation to rpm and throttle input.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:20 AM   #7
squish72

Drives: 2016 2SS 8AT
Quote:
The NPP version still drones with the valves open at cruising speed which would be identical to the non NPP version the OP listed. The NPP version allows the valves close directing the exhaust path from the Outlaw muffler to the 40 series muffler and that eliminates the drone.

If you have not tuned your NPP exhaust valve settings then your valves close when cruising at hwy speeds in all modes and there will not be any drone. I have my valves tuned to stay open under all conditions in track mode which simulates having a Outlaw only system, and it without a doubt drones. It's not horrible and at times I do like it, but I am not sure I would want that 24/7...only reason why I mentioned it because the OP is asking about the NON NPP version.

Touring- Exhaust valves closed under all conditions until 4000rpm then they open.

Sport- Exhaust valves open under all conditions, except 8th gear I have them set to close to eliminate drone at cruising speeds 45+ mph.

Track- Exhaust valves open under all conditions which would be similar to pulling the NPP fuse.

Stock programming.

Touring- exhaust valves are pretty much closed under all conditions except start up and wot.

Sport- valves open full time other then they close from 3rd gear under part throttle conditions.

Track- similar sport except the valves don't close until 5th gear part throttle and they open faster in relation to rpm and throttle input.

I have messed around with mine quite a bit and with my new headers and no cats I came to the conclusion that with my setup i could no longer fully close the valves with out getting a horrible leaking air sound going through the small gaps the valves make (think blowing air out really hard through just your top teeth)

Touring- I have the valves at 95% closed and at full throttle I have them open to 60%
Sport- I have them 40% open (sounds really aggressive and deeper) and fully open at wot (way loud and too raspy).
Track- is of course fully open like yours
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:44 AM   #8
Camaro 79

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:

Stock programming.

Not to hijack, so when the valves are closed as discussed there's no drone? Is there additional sound in the car? I'm pretty torn on what to do about the exhaust, as I think it's pretty raspy as is. It seems like the Outlaws are deeper than the S-Type, but also not as quiet when you're not "on" it.

My other thought is just replacing the midpipe and getting rid of the secondary Cats (60606). Would love to hear your thoughts!

Past -
2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack
2015 Camaro SS
2010 Ford Mustang GT
Camaro 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:13 PM   #9
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLJR1222 View Post
Seeing if anyone here has any experience with the Flowmaster Outlaw Axleback system.

Youtube videos never do an exhaust justice, and I unfortunately do not know anyone who has this system

I tried them and basically you can just go muffler delete and get almost the same sound. They are basically a straight pipe that’s swelled up in the middle. Got rid of them and I am happy with Flowmaters DBX mufflers.

https://youtu.be/2NmjDyeIqSA Outlaw Muffers

https://youtu.be/BCePHBONI8g DBX Mufflers
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:22 PM   #10
MPLJR1222

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbeastSS2 View Post
I tried them and basically you can just go muffler delete and get almost the same sound. They are basically a straight pipe that’s swelled up in the middle. Got rid of them and I am happy with Flowmaters DBX mufflers.

https://youtu.be/2NmjDyeIqSA Outlaw Muffers

https://youtu.be/BCePHBONI8g DBX Mufflers
How are both those systems at cruising speeds?
Old 05-17-2019, 03:35 PM   #11
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLJR1222 View Post
How are both those systems at cruising speeds?
The Outlaw has a drone and a very annoying ear hurting sound when you put your foot down. Forget about enjoying your radio ever again.

DBX I can cruise and enjoy the cruise.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:24 PM   #12
KingLT1

Mine isnt nearly that loud in the car even with valves open running through the outlaw mufflers. Factory headers with primary cat deletes. Yes there is some drone but it still sounds good. Must be the heads/cam/headers no cat combo making it sound that way.

https://youtu.be/pYoTgQVvC7w

Last edited by KingLT1; 05-17-2019 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:37 PM   #13
njweatherman

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS, redline edition
I have the flowmaster 817746 american thunder axleback with a K&N cold air intake and the range AFM delete. I pulled fuse 51 to keep the NPP valves open all the time because I could hear the valves opening and closing. Sounds like a mailbox slot, very annoying. With the fuse pulled, valves stay open all the time and you will get more exhaust decel popping.
njweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, camaro, exhaust, flowmaster exhaust