Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-29-2019, 06:54 PM   #1
mhauser2

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Learning to Tune

How did everyone learn to tune these cars? Anyone willing to teach that is in the Central Florida area?
mhauser2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:55 AM   #2
ScatPack
Banned

Drives: None at the moment
https://venomousconsulting.com/

He does tuning classes in the central florida area.
ScatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:01 AM   #3
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
These cars are hard. I started back in the early ls days and you start small. Rev limiter, shift points, turn off codes. At some point you step up to spark and fuel. The new stuff is much more difficult. Timing cuts, throttle closing, variable cam timing with multiple ve tables, way too many trans tables. If you want it bad enough you can figure it out but it takes a lot of effort.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:50 PM   #4
asrautox

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I learned to tune way back in the day via Cobb on my Mazdaspeed3. They had a very active forum and a full-on tuning guide, which I read cover to cover. From there I went on to tune my Evo X and even worked with Cobb to uncover additional tables to improve drive ability issues. Then I got into BMW’s and tuned my N55 via Cobb then also MHD due to support. I briefly did some work on Honda’s with Ktuner, but quickly came to my senses. This is my first experience with HP Tuners and I have to say it’s one of the better solutions out there when it comes to features and map descriptions. My recommendation would be to work with a well known etune provider and go in and compare their final tune to your stock tune to see all of the changes they are making. HP Tuners makes this very easy to do. Once you have an understanding of what to change and why, you can go in and make your own small adjustments to see what effect they have. Read and research and don’t adjust anything until you fully understand the implications. Run data logs following each change and compare your results. It’s a long road and you need to be very cautious, but once you get it, it’s an excellent skill to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2019, 01:36 PM   #5
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
You gotta love the "Compare" option in HP Tuners.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:03 PM   #6
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
I love being able to tune my own car. Lots of car people I know are completely dependent on their tuner and any good tuner is crazy busy. I really enjoy dialing in the tune, taking care of issues, making 1000+ in a car anyone could start and drive anywhere. That being said I needed some help with starting issues and surging. There just are not free step by step guides yet like there are for older cars. I went together with a few guys on the tuning school stuff for lt motors and it showed me right off how to adjust the starting and idle stuff.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:32 PM   #7
mhauser2

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Thanks guys i appreciate the responses. I'm thinking getting a good base tune then doing a compare and build from there.
mhauser2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:59 PM   #8
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhauser2 View Post
Thanks guys i appreciate the responses. I'm thinking getting a good base tune then doing a compare and build from there.
This.

Andy from ADM, Ryan from GPI, and Dave Steck from DSX did my tunes. Now, myself and Mark (ABADZL1) do a fair bit ourselves. I still rely on the experts however, as some areas are still new (like transmission tuning, etc.). Learn, ask a lot of questions, and join HP tuners forum. I have the Calibrated Success vids, Tuning School GM Course, and a plethora of books.

Get a copy of the stock tune and keep it handy for compares...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:28 PM   #9
eficalibrator

Drives: 2009 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
I have the Calibrated Success vids
You know we recently released an GenV video too, right?
eficalibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:00 PM   #10
squish72

Drives: 2016 2SS 8AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by eficalibrator View Post
How basic does the video cover? My video should be here saturday.
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:37 AM   #11
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by eficalibrator View Post
I would go this route. I’ve always ended up having to do things myself in the end to get it right. The guys that are good are way too busy most times

Don’t pay more than a few hundred for a base tune

Last edited by 6spdhyperblue; 05-28-2019 at 02:45 PM.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:32 AM   #12
F419sr1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
I would go this route. I’ve always ended up having to do things myself in the end to get it right. The guys that are good are way too busy most times
My car is up at Jannetty’s waiting on a opening to be tuned. First appointment was three weeks. He is going to try to squeeze me in. I would love to learn about tuning but to scared to take a chance of screwing it up.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:29 PM   #13
chaoscentral

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
I found an awesome tuning series. He is tuning a Gen V small block in a truck but its the same ECU and same process for our cars. Definitely worth a watch and this guy has a ton of knowledge.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...oEO01pSgOUMOwa
Old 06-02-2019, 12:48 PM   #14
verdicaysen

Drives: 18' 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
I appreciate all the suggestions for paid tunes - but I think the OP is looking to learn on their own. 600$ tunes are ridiculously expensive - I can only afford to do one myself - i'll be tuning it on my own going forward. As I pick stuff up ill make a separate thread to learn and condense the knowledge in one place. We should all make the effort to help one another out.
verdicaysen is offline   Reply With Quote