Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 03-14-2019, 11:13 AM   #127
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
PLEASE DO! Keep us informed.
Brembo are a bit more in dollars? Did you do a side by side comparison? If so what were the deciding factors?

Thanks!
Id be very surprised if they were less $ than Brembos...i think that was the point Red was making. Have not checked AP prices for a while, but while they are very nice and light, the cost is @%#$! high.

Red, did ya get them from Essex? Or are these "factory" APs? Essex Enduro kit by all means offers bigger discs vs Sprint: by far! (F and R). A buddy just got one for his C5 race car and they are huge! They offer double thickness pads on either kit, but i didnt find they lasted nearly twice as long on my Vette. Durability of the AP discs were about the same as stock Brembos on my SS 1le measured in track days. Calipers needed to be rebuilt every 3 seasons, or so. Even though i was hoping for (at least) a solid placibo effect, my pace didnt increase any. It was nice not to swap rotors every 2-3 days, but the up front price and then ongoing cost of replacement parts had me scratching my head sometimes. But once you sink the money...you pretty much commit longer term...

Not sure about a smaller disc providing less heat sink, id think the opposite would be true. Yeah, C7R uses them and obviosuly it is a very fast race car, but it weights 2,447lb... Having said that, maybe you gutted your ZLE and substantially reduced its stock weight. Are ya close to 3000lb?

Anyhow, i hope they work for ya! They are sure a very nice kit (Essex one). All the best and cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:18 PM   #128
SE46

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
For any of you guys with fully gutted interiors, could someone please let me know if you can get your head through the window, with a helmet on, without openning the door?

I know it wasn't possible for me in my fully stock 1LE, but maybe if the headliner, door moldings and inner door panel is removed there might be enough clearance.

I don't plan to race my Camaro, but I do race an SE46 and as a racer, not being able to get through the door is kinda a big safety issue for me.

TIA
Old 03-14-2019, 04:30 PM   #129
HyperspaceTurd

Drives: 17 1SS 6MT, 09 Tacoma TRD Sport
I don't know about you but my helmet doesn't fit through the window by like, a LOT... Not even close.

If you wanna pretend to be Kyle Busch I think you will need a sawzall.
HyperspaceTurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:57 PM   #130
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperspaceTurd View Post
I don't know about you but my helmet doesn't fit through the window by like, a LOT... Not even close.

If you wanna pretend to be Kyle Busch I think you will need a sawzall.
. For NHRA Comp License, you do a full gear blind folded test. I practiced out both windows too though I raced door cars. You can’t fit the helmet out of a Gen6 as delivered. Haven’t tried it gutted with no doorpad. I tell my sons and others at HPDEs to check if you can fit their helmet through the window opening in any car they drive or ride in. Know where seat belt or harness release is end what type of release (button, latch, cam lock)- same for the doors. Harness pull up or down to tighten. I give a head’s up to new passengers / instructors in either seat of the helmet issue, etc.

I would like to know post-cage with door pad off, does a full sized helmet now fit through.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:42 AM   #131
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Oh yeah
Attached Images

NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:48 AM   #132
NickyRacerBoy

I was so distressed about losing my glove box that I cut backside out and reattached! Granted it cannot hold anything!! Btw..i just kidding about missing it! Lol
Old 03-15-2019, 12:50 AM   #133
NickyRacerBoy

Pretty cool because it covers the dash bar
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2019, 01:57 AM   #134
TrackClub

Quote:
Pretty cool because it covers the dash bar
Lools good: nice and clean!
Old 03-15-2019, 02:08 AM   #135
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
. For NHRA Comp License, you do a full gear blind folded test. I practiced out both windows too though I raced door cars. You can’t fit the helmet out of a Gen6 as delivered. Haven’t tried it gutted with no doorpad. I tell my sons and others at HPDEs to check if you can fit their helmet through the window opening in any car they drive or ride in. Know where seat belt or harness release is end what type of release (button, latch, cam lock)- same for the doors. Harness pull up or down to tighten. I give a head’s up to new passengers / instructors in either seat of the helmet issue, etc.

I would like to know post-cage with door pad off, does a full sized helmet now fit through.
Excellent points! I must confess i have given Camaro's small windows an extra thought...to this point i always ensure that i unlock the doors from the inside before i get going.

As far as using the window as the escape route: many (most) pro race cars have fixed closed windows and some (like prototype class) have tiny fixed windows.
So escaping is via a door, or roof hatch if available, provided a driver is able. If disabled, no EMS team will try to extract a driver via a window due to potential neck and/or spinal injuries. And if necessary they will cut the car to facilitate access. Fire being an exception.

No perfect solutions here, especially given i know some folks whose middle section far outsizes their heads...

Also food for thought regarding top shelf orgs who have full track qualified EMP teams during their events vs fly by night organizers who may have a private pick up truck with a tow line as their idea of a "safety team".
Old 03-15-2019, 06:25 AM   #136
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Excellent points! I must confess i have given Camaro's small windows an extra thought...to this point i always ensure that i unlock the doors from the inside before i get going.

As far as using the window as the escape route: many (most) pro race cars have fixed closed windows and some (like prototype class) have tiny fixed windows.
So escaping is via a door, or roof hatch if available, provided a driver is able. If disabled, no EMS team will try to extract a driver via a window due to potential neck and/or spinal injuries. And if necessary they will cut the car to facilitate access. Fire being an exception.

No perfect solutions here, especially given i know some folks whose middle section far outsizes their heads...

Also food for thought regarding top shelf orgs who have full track qualified EMP teams during their events vs fly by night organizers who may have a private pick up truck with a tow line as their idea of a "safety team".
In my drag cars, I had fire suppression system that added less than 20#. Nozzles were under the dash above the column to put a barrier between you and the engine compartment. Had nozzles elsewhere in the interior and also the front of the engine compartment facing backwards in case the car was still moving when set off. I had both a pull (you can do push) lever to manually set the system off and a back up thermal bulb that activate the system (if above a given temp in case you were unable to). Check the bottle and pick up design to see if drain all contents upside down. There are also different retardant that vary in cost, clean up ease, and toxicity.

None of this you ever hope to need, but,...
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:14 AM   #137
NickyRacerBoy

Next item to order... fire suppressant recommendations? Just as important locations of nozzles
Old 03-15-2019, 09:41 AM   #138
TrackClub

Quote:
Next item to order... fire suppressant recommendations? Just as important locations of nozzles
Maybe give Howe a call? His Camaro has 5 supression systems. Or call Phoenix and see what they recommend/use? Id prefer to be a bit more "scientific" on this subject based on what pro shops use. Just my 2 cents...
Old 03-15-2019, 09:42 AM   #139
SE46

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
I use a Novec 1230 Zero 360 system in my SE46 race car. After doing a lot of research, talking with pro teams, and seeing what they're using, I would not use anything else. Mine setup is from Lifeline, but there are several companies out there offering Novec 1230 systems. I'm convinced it's by far the safest and most effective option out there.

Not to keep harping on the helmet/window thing... but really, it's not about playing boy racer as one person implied. I've seen plenty of crashes, and in wheel to wheel road racing it's not all that uncommon to have to exit a mangled car through the window because the door can no longer be opened after a crash. Every serious racer has probably seen this happen to a fellow driver 1st hand at least once per season. When you're going for a Comp license, timed exit through the window is a standard test for many sanctioning orgs. Hopefully in full race trim, with a properly designed cage, the issue can be alleviated.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:09 AM   #140
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE46 View Post
I use a Novec 1230 Zero 360 system in my SE46 race car. After doing a lot of research, talking with pro teams, and seeing what they're using, I would not use anything else. Mine setup is from Lifeline, but there are several companies out there offering Novec 1230 systems. I'm convinced it's by far the safest and most effective option out there.

Not to keep harping on the helmet/window thing... but really, it's not about playing boy racer as one person implied. I've seen plenty of crashes, and in wheel to wheel road racing it's not all that uncommon to have to exit a mangled car through the window because the door can no longer be opened after a crash. Every serious racer has probably seen this happen to a fellow driver 1st hand at least once per season. When you're going for a Comp license, timed exit through the window is a standard test for many sanctioning orgs. Hopefully in full race trim, with a properly designed cage, the issue can be alleviated.
Not to be a pain but top pro series like IMSA, DTM, World Challenge, etc use fixed windows...so how do they manage it? Has SCCA and/or NASA outlawed Camaro because of a small window?