Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-28-2019, 12:44 AM   #57
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Nothing was worse than the rusting on Japanese cars like the Rustsoons aka Datsun. Pinto blow up, try the girl was reversing on a freeway when she was hit by a van going 70 MPH, Ford showed in the repeated test the biggest cars made in the 70 ALL failed in the same crash. I'd rather be in a 2300 lbs Pinto vs a 1900 Datsun B210... or Fiat... LOL. Oh BTW I did race many 2TG and 3TG (4 bangers) Toyota Engines both Toyota head and Yamaha Head, compared to the BMW, there were INFERIOR in every way. The famed Toyota 6 is a very short head with poor port angles and the cast iron block still had the boss for the mechanical pump when it had a 2bbl carb days. The thing weighs MORE than any American V8 too. Please, the only thing worse than the 3.0 Toyota was the 2.5 Nissan. Both tiny engines that were limited to cylinder pressure like any other engine on pump fuel PERIOD.

The BMW was a far more impressive design both the 2V and then the 4 V engines. I did a lot of racing with the 2800 to 3.0 CS cars back in the day, worked on a few of the 4v when they came out (could not afford one at the time). I think even Toyota admits that it is REALLY hard to build a better 4V inline 6 than BMW. My other favorite inline 6 is the Ford 200 and 250 cid, these were slowly evolved down under from non-crossflow IHV to OHC to DOHC 4V just like the Toyota and Nissan engines. Here is the link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Barra_engine

Of course, these are impressive but not as impressive as the slant 6 to hyper pack 6 to the hemi 6 back in the day:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Hemi-6_Engine

So it ain't like I hate on the inline 6, love the design, just can't stand the myth that Supra was somehow dominating anything outside of some race fuel hale Mary dyno runs....

Agree exactly!
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:01 AM   #58
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
LOL...Supra only comes with a boring automatic trans. Its a sports car....whats the point? Same goes for the new Corvette but I'm hearing a manual will be offered later in the vette.
Yeaaaaah, don't bet on seeing a manual.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:08 AM   #59
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Autos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
LOL...Supra only comes with a boring automatic trans. Its a sports car....whats the point? Same goes for the new Corvette but I'm hearing a manual will be offered later in the vette.
I think the manual corvette ship has sailed but at least the corvette is a more visceral feeling dct instead of a slushbox.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:12 AM   #60
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
just like Honda and the ring runs with the type R and then at least one super road test... NEVER repeated on a production car that Joe Average buys... despite Honda's claim. So that is an example of a pre-production "ringer".

On the other hand:

I owned two GLH-S, both purchased low miles from the original owners. Both had the optional Shelby brain at 205 HP, both owners told me that is the way the car came and that 175 HP brain (used to save the trans), was just to get the smog and Dodge's OK to sell the car thru the dealer. Story? dunno. but both had the brain. It will be "myth" in the future but IMO all GLH-S had the 205 HP brain PERIOD. The stock as left the production line programming got "lost" when the GLH-S in the Shelby shops.... We know that Toyota got into some trouble by quoting a faster 0-60 vs the BMW which suppose to have more HP....

I will also note that the JCW mini 2.0 will have 300 HP (up from 228), it is basically the same engine as the 4 banger Supra... My wife has a tweeked Cooper and the BMW 2.0 is fast becoming my favorite 4 banger going all the way back to my 1966 BMW 2000 CS with dual side drafts....
I've learned the be more cynical about amazing outlier ring times. With all the fibbing that's been exposed before unless an actual production car tested independently gets close to the time, some manufactures times are to be taken with a grain of salt imo.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:15 AM   #61
Schroedinger

Drives: prospective Camaro owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadicus View Post
I mostly agree with everything you said I just don't think I will see very many of these on the streets. The 50k+ for SS/GT performance is a little steep I think. I do expect a modded one to be an absolute monster though.
Fair, but another perspective is that you’re getting a car that’s essential a Cayman S clone under a Toyota badge for about 2/3 the cost of a Cayman S.
Schroedinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:20 AM   #62
RobbyBeefcake87

Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroedinger View Post
Fair, but another perspective is that you’re getting a car that’s essential a Cayman S clone under a Toyota badge for about 2/3 the cost of a Cayman S.
Cayman S? You mean z8 or are we talking about a possible new mr2.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #63
Deesiel678

Drives: 2018 1LS 1LE
Was a little surprised by the Supra's results at Lightning Lap 2019. I thought its lap times would be closer to the SS 1le.. Watching the videos side by side, the v6 1le and Supra were pretty close until the course opens up where the Supra can exploit its acceleration advantage.

http://viewsync.net/watch?v=yh2kHQhY...t=25&mode=solo

SS 1LE = 2:54.8
Supra = 3:01.4
V6 1LE = 3:04.0

Last edited by Deesiel678; 10-15-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Deesiel678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:20 AM   #64
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I was kind of shocked by the Supra lap time as well
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote