Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-19-2019, 09:29 AM   #1
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
Keep my 5th Gen, or switch to 6th Gen?

I'm so torn and I keep going back and forth.

I love my car, I think the 5th Gen is still every bit as gorgeous as it ever was (well, if you have a 10-13. The refreshed front/rear was a step backwards for 14-15).
But I sure do love the 6th gen (18 and under at least. Once again, the refresh was a fail).

I can't decide if I want to keep mine, or make the jump to a 2018.

-My car is paid for, and that is always a great reason to keep it instead of taking on a new payment...... but, its got 159,000 miles and I'm paranoid about when it will finally start to show age and need costly repairs.

-I've got a big dent in the rear quarter from a deer hitting me, and there's plenty of scratches, door dings, and rock chips all over the rest of the car. (I've been quoted at $1k to fix the dent and paint the quarter, $3.5k to repaint the car and paint stripes back on)

-The stock HIDs are shot. I regularly think my lights are off at night, even though they are on. When a car is behind me, I leave a shadow on the road/cars ahead of me. (replacing those lights doesn't seem to be even remotely cheap from what I have read)

-I always said I wanted to do Headers, intake, tuning, GFX, grille, lowering springs and spoiler....... But all I ever ended up doing was a cat back, sound system, and tinted windows....... and now, at this point, I question the value in trying to do all that now (especially since they don't make half of that stuff anymore for the 10-13 models)

-The stock CD player/Radio doesn't do it for me, so I would need to upgrade that to something modern that can connect with my Android and play music through my apps.

So as much as I love my car, I question the value in putting so much work and money into it now...... especially with the risk of somebody hitting me and totaling it just after I drop 30-40% of the car's current value back into it.

I would love to have it with a fresh paint job and a few mods, then run it until the motor blows and rebuild it with a 416 stroker kit....... but if I'm this on the fence now, I feel it will only get worse between now and when that motor failure finally happens.... and at that point, I may not want to do all this.

I've had it for 2 months shy of 10 years.... its been a good run. Do I really want to make it a forever car? .... or do I jump into a 2018 with all the modern refinements and technologies, and run it for 10 years too?
Old 06-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
So you like the 6th gen but hate the 14/15 refresh, which is basically what you would get if the 6th gen had a baby with a 10-13 model. Interesting. Anyway, yea I'd definitely take the leap to the 6th gen if it were me. At 160k miles, things are bound to start breaking or needing replaced. I'd rather spend that money on a car payment for a nicer, newer car than maintenance on ticking time bomb, but that's just me.
LSA Blower w/ 2.45 Griptec, Reinforced Brick, FIC 1000 injectors, JRE FPCM, LFP Dual Pass HX, ZL1 IC pump, RotoFab CAI, Bo White TB, Coated Stainless Power 1-7/8" LTs, NPP, NGK TR7IX, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, AEM X-Series WB, Aeroforce Interceptor, MGW Shifter, Z28 Grill, Gary's Custom ZL1 Rockers, Hero Tails, Tuned by IMC
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #3
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
My opinion here is keep the car. Its paid for... fix it up like you said - keep it running, and fix whatever breaks. You can keep that 5th gen running for many years to come.

Yeah, I'm a bit paranoid as well with 155k miles myself. But this car runs so smoothly, that it is giving me no indication of it failing any time soon. I keep up with regular oil changes... sometimes sooner rather than later.

I'm keeping mine. The only issue with mine right now, is that the suspension is starting to show its age. It squeaks and creeks a bit going over speed bumps... I think I'm going to need new shocks/struts soon.

My car doesn't look worn at all on the exterior... a few nicks and very minor, unnoticeable scratches... but beyond that - it looks better than most 2yr old cars on the road. The interior could use a detail, but overall holding up really well, to include the CF decals I've added.

Anyway... I'd keep it, but that's just me because my only frame of reference is mine... and I've done a lot to it, both aesthetically and performance wise, already. It'd be painful to lose this paid off ride at this point for me.

These 5th gens will not fade...
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:49 AM   #4
mr_honez
Wifey Lover

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red 2LT/RS
I'm personally keeping mine when I buy my ZL1. As said earlier she's paid for and I've put a lot of work into her. Keeping her as my DD and driving the ZL1 on trips and weekend cruises. Wouldn't sell her if I had to, but that's me.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:55 AM   #5
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Drives: 15 2lt RS Top Gun Camaro
If its not using oil Id drive it a few more years, if you start having trouble then trade it. I waited till my old Ram Air TA was using 1qt of oil every 300-500 miles then traded it on a killer blk on blk 15 2lt v6. I absolutely love this car.
Attached Images

152LTRockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:02 AM   #6
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
Hey 152, the T/A in the picture is not a Ram Air, at least it doesn't have the Ram Air hood.
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:11 AM   #7
Matty Ice

Find a low mile 2013 2SS/RS 1le, add CAI, LTH, Cam and you have the performance of a 6th Gen SS with the body style you want, problem solved.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:20 AM   #8
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Ice View Post
Hey 152, the T/A in the picture is not a Ram Air, at least it doesn't have the Ram Air hood.
Yep, that's just a plain ol' Trans Am. Come on Rockin, with all the bragging you do about your vast knowledge of 4th gens you should've known that. lol
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:22 AM   #9
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
13-15 zl1 is another option. Around the same money as a 6th gen but much cooler.
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #10
Matty Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rod View Post
Yep, that's just a plain ol' Trans Am. Come on Rockin, with all the bragging you do about your vast knowledge of 4th gens you should've known that. lol
Having had a 2000 WS6 I knew it wasn't one, just giving him the benefit of the doubt. : )
Old 06-19-2019, 10:36 AM   #11
Matty Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayblueSS View Post
13-15 zl1 is another option. Around the same money as a 6th gen but much cooler.
Black 13 ZL1 FTW
Old 06-19-2019, 10:47 AM   #12
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rod View Post
Point proven....one down one to go.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:53 AM   #13
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Parts can be replaced. If you love your 5th Gen I'd keep it. You can always rebuild engines and transmissions, if she has no rust and rot it's worth keeping and building. Value wise, no it's probably not worth it. If you want a shiny new Camaro, I also wouldn't blame you. If you can wrench yourself I would especially keep your and build it up, something breaks replace it with something better, stronger, or adds power! If you don't wrench it might be too costly to do engine rebuild ect..
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #14
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Drives: 15 2lt RS Top Gun Camaro
I didn't say that was my ram Air TA. that's my 99TA, I love that car. I traded my Ram Air TA on this Camaro.
Attached Images

152LTRockin is offline   Reply With Quote