Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-01-2017, 12:00 PM   #29
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post
Do I turn my Jeep into my DD, and sell the car outright, put the money up and save towards a 6th gen, or used C7? (single, no kids, just 2 dogs).
Or do you have another suggestion?
BINGO - highlighted your words above in RED.
You've driven the car for EIGHT YEARS, enough miles to go 2/3 of the way to the Moon or six times around our planet. You know it is time for something NEW, time for a real refresh --- you kept your Camaro for so long that you need one BRAND NEW with zero miles as a new start so you will be able to drive the new one also for many years. You could go over to the Gen6 Forum and see what they are saying. Then if agree with them get the GEN6, buy all you want they'll make more. YOU will then get to pick EXACTLY what options are on the car and color -- very important when keeping the car as long as you do. Did you read that Camaro GEN6 April sales took first place back away from Mustang? ;-)
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.

Last edited by ron123; 06-01-2017 at 12:40 PM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:18 PM   #30
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post
A lot of good insight.... and I do greatly appreciate it.

Seems like most people are on board with getting a '13.
On autotrader they are going for 21k-30k, averaging about 25k. Lets say I could get 10k out of mine, thats still 15k more out of pocket........ yeah, I would have the infotainment system... which would make me very happy....... but for 15k, I could fix my dents, repaint, add cosmetic mods and have quite the care........ then when the motor poops out, pull it apart and put a stroker kit on it.

I dont have the Hemi powered jeep anymore.... it died when a tree fell on it.
Now i have a 4 door wrangler that needs some work of its own.

Maybe i should sell the car and use some of the money to tweak the jeep a little, and then put the rest away and when the jeep is paid off (about 3 more years) take my savings and get one of the refreshed 6th Gen Camaros, ..... or maybe pick up a 3-4 year old C7 vette

It also doesnt help that I also have a harley that I would like to sell and upgrade to a different model harley.

I dont make enough money to have a custom jeep, custom bike, and custom car.
I gotta make a hard decision to either have all 3 but none very custom..... or consolidate down to just 2.
I cant get rid of the jeep, I need it because the dogs dont fit well in the car on trips and the car cant take me hunting and into my property in the woods.
Ok I have a better line of what your situation is. From personal experience, I've learned that it isn't wise to dump money into an aging car, with loads of miles and a questionable powertrain. Look at it this way: The 15k you were thinking of spending for the bodywork could easily go towards a down payment on a new Camaro. If you didn't want to buy a new Camaro, then you would definitely be in line for a '15 or a lightly used '16.

Additionally, if it were me, I wouldn't settle for a '13. The '13s have MyLink, but IMO they are too close in appearance to what you have now. You want to look and feel like you are improving when you upgrade a car. Perhaps a '13 ZL1 would be an exception.

Finally, do not buy a car with loads of miles on it. If that's the case, then I'd advise you to keep driving what you have. You want to buy a car either new or with low miles so that you can get the usage out of it. Take your time, analyze your finances and make the right choice in a car. You will regret it far less and you will enjoy your purchase.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:04 AM   #31
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
ok..... how about an updated scenario.....

I see on the classifieds section where somebody in my current town is selling a pristine MyLink radio/dashplate for $400.
on Gen5DIY i'd be looking at about $500 for the wiring harness/programming, and then I'd be set.

SO

Instead of trying to get a '13..... what if I do the MyLink conversion, get the dent fixed but not painted, then wrap the car and keep on trucking until motor hits 200k, then pull it out and put a 427 stroker kit on it.

No I wont have hud or a color DIC.... but I don't really care about those either.
I wont have NAV, but I'm pretty content with Google Maps on my phone over a nav screen anyway (never use the NAV in the Jeep either).