Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 10-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
Subwoofer help... 10s or 12s.. What did yall do?

OK I need some advice... please help me out.

I am thinking of getting two 10s..... to JL10w3's to be exact.

But I think I may want to 12w3's instead.

How many people have done 2 12s, or 1 10s.

How do they compare?

How do you like it?

How bad is the rattle? or did you dynomat?

I really need to decide quick fast and in a hurry because they are gonna have my car soon to start on the box... so I gotta know what I want.

if you guys could please let me know what yall did, how it turned out, and what yall think... i would appreciate it GREATLY.

Thanks
Old 10-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
FIREWOLFF

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
I have 2 10" Diamond D3's right now and love them. Everyone sits in my car thinks they are 15's. The only diff. is mine are punchy they are meant more for rock, country and any music with more live drums. If you listen to alot of rap then go JL they are extremely boomy. 10's or 12's not really a whole lotta difference. One's just a bit louder. If you can find a Diamond dealer in your area and take a listen.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
sspaul

Drives: 2010 ss camaro, imperial blue
Send a message via AIM to sspaul Send a message via Yahoo to sspaul
the 12's will give you deeper bass the 10's will give you tighter bass. 12's are good for hip hop and some other music where the bpm is less then 100 but it can handle more. 10's are good for fast music like heavy metal.
www.twitter.com/1djchampagne
mods: borla long tube headers, borla atak catback, lingenfelter gt-9 cam, ported heads, ecs base kit running 11 psi on top end, 1" bmr drop spring, aam 3.70 gears, ported throttle body, 160* thermorstat, lethal racing tune

750/641 rwhp/rwtq
sspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
FIREWOLFF

My 12's had the same responsive quick tight punchy bass as my 10's do they were just a little louder. Most of that 12's are boomier then 10's comes from poorly designed subs. The suspension of the sub was not tight enough to control the sub. Also dampening factor of the amp has alot to do with it as well. If you stick with subs designed for the music you listen to and not just going along with what everyone tells you to go with you will be fine. I went 10's in my Camaro because of airspace. I could not get enough airspace to do 2 12" subs ported in the trunk and still have grocery room. You have to do what is best for you. If you have any questions pm me and I will be happy to help you figure out what is best for your setup. You also need to realize that "sounds best" is personal opinion and you need to listen to whatever you want to buy. What I think sounds good vs. what you think sounds good may be 2 totally different things but I have been selling and installing car audio for 18 yrs. and have become great at finding the best products for each individual even if it is not what we carry. Let me know if you need any help.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:44 AM   #5
FIREWOLFF

my setup

I also have components in the front doors just never took any pics while the doors were off.
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2009, 08:02 AM   #6
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWOLFF View Post
I have 2 10" Diamond D3's right now and love them. Everyone sits in my car thinks they are 15's. The only diff. is mine are punchy they are meant more for rock, country and any music with more live drums. If you listen to alot of rap then go JL they are extremely boomy. 10's or 12's not really a whole lotta difference. One's just a bit louder. If you can find a Diamond dealer in your area and take a listen.
Diamond subs are great. They are very responsive and "musical". I have a single 10" in my DD and it sounds great.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
Walter Sobchak

Drives: 1LT/RS
I've had both 10's and 12's in previous cars, for me it's hard to tell a difference in my last couple systems, back in the day I think technology wasn't as great and decent power was hard to come by without spending a ton of money. I'm going with one woofer this go around for sure, just haven't decided fully yet on size. The room in the trunk isn't all that great and I need to keep my space.
Walter Sobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #8
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Transformer
I just tossed a Bazooka 10" with internal powered amp in my stang and it was great. Might do the same here. $100 installed. lol
wrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:53 AM   #9
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
Good opinions so far.... anybody else got any input??
Old 10-11-2009, 11:54 AM   #10
Gunmetal

Drives: Cyber Grey 1SS/RS w/Body Kit
just 1 JL 10SW6 with about 300-400 Watts and your set for the airspace in the trunk of the Camaro. I used to be an installer. Trust me, less is more in this car. A good alternative is the Kicker L5 or if you have a little more to spend L7, The L7 can take a fair bit of power where the L5 will keep you on a budget. Plus the L5/L7 require little airspace keeping your trumk very clean.

Just my 2 cents
Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #11
sspaul

Drives: 2010 ss camaro, imperial blue
Send a message via AIM to sspaul Send a message via Yahoo to sspaul
i personally like kicker more than any other.
www.twitter.com/1djchampagne
mods: borla long tube headers, borla atak catback, lingenfelter gt-9 cam, ported heads, ecs base kit running 11 psi on top end, 1" bmr drop spring, aam 3.70 gears, ported throttle body, 160* thermorstat, lethal racing tune

750/641 rwhp/rwtq
sspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:02 AM   #12
Walter Sobchak

Drives: 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal View Post
just 1 JL 10SW6 with about 300-400 Watts and your set for the airspace in the trunk of the Camaro. I used to be an installer. Trust me, less is more in this car. A good alternative is the Kicker L5 or if you have a little more to spend L7, The L7 can take a fair bit of power where the L5 will keep you on a budget. Plus the L5/L7 require little airspace keeping your trumk very clean.

Just my 2 cents
This post is makin me lean more towards a ten.
Walter Sobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:12 AM   #13
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
Diamond subs are great. They are very responsive and "musical". I have a single 10" in my DD and it sounds great.

Itch'n to install a TDX 12", but the basket's way deep..

.. a pair of DD 10s w/ 1000w RMS to each would be a good start.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:59 PM   #14
FIREWOLFF

I used to love Kicker products. Key phrase "used" they are slipping away into flea marketdom if thats a word. If you look at most of your high end car audio shops they have all dropped Kicker. The reason there is no value left in the line. The subs under perform for the price. And the airspace requirements aren't any smaller than most subs in the same size. The Diamond D3's go in as small as 0.6 cuft. and 1 cuft. ported. Try sticking to companies that value their customers and their own products. Memphis, Diamond, Treo, Digital Designs, and Focal to name a few. Now that being said every sub sounds different depending on what you listen to and every customer has a preference in the way it sounds. I listen to everything from Rock to Rap to Jazz to whatever else I want to listen to. I choose the Diamonds for simple fact they are quick responsive for all live music (music that has real instruments) but still has enough boom for when I throw some Rap in the mix. If you listen to more Rap than anything else then JL, or Treo are great choices. The one thing I've learned is if you don't get what you need to make it sound right for you then you are going to either blow stuff up or just not be happy with it.