Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 09-25-2016, 07:34 PM   #43
PRAY

Drives: 2016 2SS
Ryne/Tim, You guys are actually talking about advancing the cam timing as in Cam Position WOT and/or Intake Cam, Cam Position High/Med/Low Phasing? Or are we talking about Spark timing and the Cam Phaser spark advance? I am assuming the actual cam phasing.

I have a buddy that put on a MSD and says it didn't do anything for his car. He is extremely disappointed. I would like to be able to help him out. Car does seem real weak for his mods.

Do you guys think the cam timing will need to be adjusted on a ported stock intake at all? I know Ryne said it didn't do anything for a stock intake. I just removed a lot of critically restrictive material out of a stock manifold. Just wondering if I should mess with cam phasing when I do my manifold comparison on the dyno soon.

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:13 PM   #44
Blacksapphire

Drives: 2ss/rs 6A
So without a tune power lost in the midrange, and with a tune 20+ hp throughout? This post has me so confused with all the back and forth. I don't want to install it for no reason.
Blacksapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:16 PM   #45
Ryne @ CMS

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 06 C6 Z06, 15 Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY View Post
Ryne/Tim, You guys are actually talking about advancing the cam timing as in Cam Position WOT and/or Intake Cam, Cam Position High/Med/Low Phasing? Or are we talking about Spark timing and the Cam Phaser spark advance? I am assuming the actual cam phasing.

I have a buddy that put on a MSD and says it didn't do anything for his car. He is extremely disappointed. I would like to be able to help him out. Car does seem real weak for his mods.

Do you guys think the cam timing will need to be adjusted on a ported stock intake at all? I know Ryne said it didn't do anything for a stock intake. I just removed a lot of critically restrictive material out of a stock manifold. Just wondering if I should mess with cam phasing when I do my manifold comparison on the dyno soon.

Thanks.
Advance the cam timing at wot
Ryne @ CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:55 PM   #46
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY View Post
Do you guys think the cam timing will need to be adjusted on a ported stock intake at all? .

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...d-results.html
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:07 PM   #47
PRAY

Drives: 2016 2SS
Thanks for the answers guys. I appreciate the help.

I will post my own thread when I am done with my intake and TB testing. On my buddies C7 we made 462/450rw IIRC and ran 11.1@125 in decent air with an AFE CAI, my ported TB/Intake, headers and tune. I would like to see 15/20rw with the intake and TB. We will see. I average 13/11rw with my ported LS3 manifolds by themselves. This LT1 intake is way jacked up from the factory. Not to mention the TB.

Last edited by PRAY; 09-26-2016 at 07:29 PM.
PRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:14 AM   #48
DisturbedSS

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_1ss View Post
Car makes the most power 5200 RPM and above...why buy a sports car to not drive it...
Trust me I agree with that 100%, but refrain mostly because I dont like getting criminal speeding tickets and tend not to drive like a idiot on city streets as, say, another opinionated forum chumboy here who enjoys trolling my posts lately.

5200 RPM at 4th gear gets you damn close to 100MPH on an auto. 1st and 2nd gear, I routinely hit that RPM mark...sometimes 3rd. The freeways here are laser patrolled heavily so that leaves little area to open it up.

All that theory blows - literally - when I get my Magnuson installed next week. I may as well pay all my future court fines upfront. At that point high RPM matters even less and that down low torque is whats relevant where 90% of the fun happens in city confines. My thrills happen on curved tracks, not peddle mashing 1/4 mile runs. At least we have 1 of those here - G-sus, get some more sanctioned tracks here!

btw - you gotta change that profile name... the words "slo-w" and Camaro should never be friends. No one likes my lousy humor

Last edited by DisturbedSS; 10-07-2016 at 03:42 AM.
DisturbedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:34 AM   #49
AndyUK

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbedSS View Post
Skill is measured on curved tracks, not peddle mashing 1/4 mile runs..any chumboy can do that.
Or how about people can use their cars for whatever THEY want.
Personally if I ever track my car it will be a real track not quarter mile strip, but thats me, I have absolutely no care if someone else wants to build their car for the strip. The world would be a much more boring place if everyone only liked the same things.

A complete lack of tolerance is exactly what does make this world awful though, congrats on being part of the problem and not the solution.
AndyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:31 PM   #50
DisturbedSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
Or how about people can use their cars for whatever THEY want.
Personally if I ever track my car it will be a real track not quarter mile strip, but thats me, I have absolutely no care if someone else wants to build their car for the strip. The world would be a much more boring place if everyone only liked the same things.

A complete lack of tolerance is exactly what does make this world awful though, congrats on being part of the problem and not the solution.

Whatever, responding to the master mechanic of the UK and tsloper posts is pointless. All you guys can do is agree to disagree with anything and everything I write. Waste of time BS. I'll add you to my ignore list.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:39 PM   #51
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Awesome! Now back to people that don't want a Camaro that drives like a diesel.
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:47 PM   #52
DisturbedSS

...and dangerous people who dont drive on city streets and in school zones like idiots
Old 10-07-2016, 12:50 PM   #53
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbedSS View Post
Whatever, responding to the master mechanic of the UK and tsloper posts is pointless. All you guys can do is agree to disagree with anything and everything I write. Waste of time BS. I'll add you to my ignore list.
I certainly hope you do that.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:50 PM   #54
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
lol im still looking at getting one and a tune since i have all my bolt ons now !
Old 10-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #55
DisturbedSS

Was seriously considering the MSD bolt on prior to making the decision to go F/I on the SS. Even though "No tune required" is marked in bold on the vendor sites, Ive always found mods in general arent 100% useful without tuning to fully utilize them. Youre already in pull and go parts mode..may as well go all the way.

Regardless it seems like a solid add on either way.