Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-01-2021, 12:24 PM   #15
kyle702

Drives: LT1 Ordering
If you have to pass smog in your area tuning will make you fail smog also.
Older vehicles you can get by because the tuning companies had no restrictions on bypassing smog with sending fake sensor ready checks and fake air fuel ratios to the smog tester. Now they do and it is regulated.

Newer vehicles you won't find an over the shelf tuner that will bypass smog checks.

Best thing to do is to purchase another ECU and have the dealer program that ECU to your immobilizer. Now you have the stock ECU for smog and warranty, and the "race" ecu to do what ever you like.

Keep in mind also a stock ECU is not going to deal with upgrades well and will likely fail a smog test.

If passing smog is not an issue, than warranties shouldn't be either.
kyle702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:20 PM   #16
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome383Z View Post
This is what I’m worried about. I’m thinking about pulling the trigger earlier then I planned so that I can get it tuned.
My Tuner is getting out of the game as he got a threat from the EPA and they may start up inspections again in FL to check for all the modded BS. Another reason i got the rid of the Camaro.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:21 PM   #17
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle702 View Post
If you have to pass smog in your area tuning will make you fail smog also.
Older vehicles you can get by because the tuning companies had no restrictions on bypassing smog with sending fake sensor ready checks and fake air fuel ratios to the smog tester. Now they do and it is regulated.

Newer vehicles you won't find an over the shelf tuner that will bypass smog checks.

Best thing to do is to purchase another ECU and have the dealer program that ECU to your immobilizer. Now you have the stock ECU for smog and warranty, and the "race" ecu to do what ever you like.

Keep in mind also a stock ECU is not going to deal with upgrades well and will likely fail a smog test.

If passing smog is not an issue, than warranties shouldn't be either.
You can definitely pass smog with a stock ECU, assuming the tuner is competent.
Old 04-01-2021, 07:00 PM   #18
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
You should proceed under the assumption they can or will void your warranty. The language in the warrant gives them broad discretion. Since all of our cars are linked to their website, I've often wondered about the data they can or are collecting.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:53 PM   #19
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
You should proceed under the assumption they can or will void your warranty. The language in the warrant gives them broad discretion. Since all of our cars are linked to their website, I've often wondered about the data they can or are collecting.
The issue here is the ambiguity that " you could have changed "anything""

And unless your lawyer is better - you lose.

Software is still a very broad "thing" = - unlike a "part" that can be "pointed at"

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:42 PM   #20
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Let's be brutally honest and responsible here. Who really thinks that a tuned car should have its powertrain warranty intact? A tune can do anything to the fine balance of a vast and complex set of engine and transmission control parameters, some of which, when messed with, can easily cause catastrophic engine failure... does anyone expect GM to stand $10-15k behind an engine/trans running a tune by Joe Sixpack's Speed Shoppe?

Lacking some sort of aftermarket tuner certification program by GM, which is unlikely the way things are going, there is no way to ensure only experienced pros touch a tune, we have decided to take the risk and, if necessary, pay to play.

I for one despise the various ways to try and cheat with secondary ECMs and TCMs and flashing tricks, because those are one of the main reasons behind stricter lockdowns, security and enforcement, which hurts everyone in the end.

Just like Doc Oc, I had the dealership perform certain things on the car, flush the trans and the rear diff plus fix some smaller non-powertrain issues, but if the LT1 under the supercharger or the A8 craps itself, it'll be on me.

I trust Ted Jannetty's tune as he is one of the best, but one can't expect GM to do the same.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:14 AM   #21
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Let's be brutally honest and responsible here. Who really thinks that a tuned car should have its powertrain warranty intact? A tune can do anything to the fine balance of a vast and complex set of engine and transmission control parameters, some of which, when messed with, can easily cause catastrophic engine failure... does anyone expect GM to stand $10-15k behind an engine/trans running a tune by Joe Sixpack's Speed Shoppe?

Lacking some sort of aftermarket tuner certification program by GM, which is unlikely the way things are going, there is no way to ensure only experienced pros touch a tune, we have decided to take the risk and, if necessary, pay to play.

I for one despise the various ways to try and cheat with secondary ECMs and TCMs and flashing tricks, because those are one of the main reasons behind stricter lockdowns, security and enforcement, which hurts everyone in the end.

Just like Doc Oc, I had the dealership perform certain things on the car, flush the trans and the rear diff plus fix some smaller non-powertrain issues, but if the LT1 under the supercharger or the A8 craps itself, it'll be on me.

I trust Ted Jannetty's tune as he is one of the best, but one can't expect GM to do the same.
I completely agree. I also somewhat understand when GM voids the power train warranty for catch cans and other minor mods. It is possible to F-up a catch can install or forget to empty a can and hydro-lock the motor. I understand GM not wanting to either do a forensic analysis to determine if a mod caused a failure or turning a blind eye to mods and eating the cost of a new motor.
I don't necessarily agree when coverage is denied for a known issue such as a failed oil pump because of a benign mod such as a CAI or catch can.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:26 AM   #22
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by zupesterLT1 View Post
Will having my car tuned void my warranty?
Yes.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:30 AM   #23
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Yes it will. People need to be careful with tuning now since the EPA seems to be an the hunt for shops and companies that sell tunes and any other equipment that changes the vehicles emissions. The EPA has handed out over $7 million in fines to diesel shops recently and it looks like they're not going to slow down on this.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote