Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-23-2021, 11:24 PM   #1
rosatelg

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS Black
Dealer installed rotors on the wrong sides!

Has anyone heard of or seen this happen before?

I have the Brembo 6 piston performance brake upgrade up front and had the dealer do the front rotors, pads, and hubs under an extended warranty claim (Geico covers rotors!) and they installed the directional rotors on the wrong sides!!

I ended up driving the car for a bit but noticed this weekend. I've called them and they are replacing all of the parts at no cost.

Just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else.
Attached Images

Delivered on: 9/8/16
rosatelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:36 PM   #2
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
im sure it happens all the time. Im surprised they are replacing them. its not needed. those rotors and pads will still be good as new.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:44 PM   #3
rosatelg

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS Black
The rotors are directional. I confirmed it by checking the installation instructions.

I didn't want to post a book but I had brake pulsing which is why I checked the front end.

The dealer couldn't order replacement parts fast enough. I don't think they could be left on as is.

Delivered on: 9/8/16
rosatelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:47 PM   #4
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
they're warped then. But just putting them on the wrong side wont hurt them just wont make the cooling as good under racing conditions.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:54 AM   #5
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
I'm with JCunningham on this issue. Can't figure out why they're changing parts. See if they will give you the rotors and pads that they remove. They will be as good as new.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:58 AM   #6
L78toLT1

Here's a bit of interesting rotor trivia: The SS1LE is the only 6th gen with directional front rotors. You would think the ZL1/ZLE would have directional rotors, but they don't
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
Old 03-24-2021, 07:02 AM   #7
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
Here's a bit of interesting rotor trivia: The SS1LE is the only 6th gen with directional front rotors. You would think the ZL1/ZLE would have directional rotors, but they don't
That's interesting. I wonder why the heavier / more powerful ZL1 / ZL1 1LE don't have directional rotors?

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:08 AM   #8
L78toLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
That's interesting. I wonder why the heavier / more powerful ZL1 / ZL1 1LE don't have directional rotors?
No telling. Possibly it's not necessary with the larger rotors on the Z's.
Old 03-24-2021, 07:28 AM   #9
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
I'm with JCunningham on this issue. Can't figure out why they're changing parts. See if they will give you the rotors and pads that they remove. They will be as good as new.
They will not as they will write it up as warranty and will have to send the old parts back. You're only entitled to receiving parts removed if you pay for the work being done.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:06 AM   #10
Ghost_White

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Are you 100% that they are "directional"? I know on my Charger I complained of this from the factory and they told me that they are not directional. I've even done research online for them and they were not directional.

Working for Akebono I did find out from our engineers, at least on my Charger, as long as they're slotted it doesn't matter which way the slots go. It's merely there to release gases that build up during friction from the pad on the rotor.
Ghost_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:43 AM   #11
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
As jcunningham said, I would be more concerned about pedal pulsation following new rotor installation. I'm sure there is a bed-in procedure, but I have never had new brakes give pedal pulsation.

The tires are directional too. Did they get that right?
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:03 AM   #12
Sweptwing

Drives: 2017 2LT RS V6 M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosatelg View Post
The rotors are directional. I confirmed it by checking the installation instructions.

I didn't want to post a book but I had brake pulsing which is why I checked the front end.

The dealer couldn't order replacement parts fast enough. I don't think they could be left on as is.
If you’re already getting pulsation I might wonder if the wheels torqued properly.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:07 AM   #13
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quick web search...

Directional Rotors | R1 Concepts Slotted Rotor Direction

January 3, 2014 ALL POSTS, Brake Rotors, Car Care Tips, Other Brake Parts, R1 Concepts Braking News
If you are wondering which direction straight vane rotors and directional rotors need to be installed, visit R1 Concepts to learn more today!

Straight Vanes

On most vehicles, the factory brake rotors are usually straight vane rotors. This means the vane structure (internal) of the rotors are built straight from the center going outwards. Thus, if you have a straight vane rotor, the direction of the slots or holes is completely up to the buyer.

Directional Vanes

There are also a handful of cars that do come with directional rotors. Directional rotors have curved or an angled internal vane structure. For directional rotors, it is recommended to install the rotors based on internal vane structure and not on the direction of the slots or holes. This allows the rotor to “naturally” generate a vacuum effect that will pump air throughout the rotor which helps its cooling efficiency.

Exceptions to the Rule

There are some vehicles has the same factory directional rotors all around. Thus, you may have all right or left directional vanes all around.

For example, the Mini Cooper S has 4 LEFT directional vane rotors. That may not be obvious with the OEM Blank rotors, but if you take a look at the internal structure, that would stand true. The Mini Cooper S is equipped that way from the factory, and at R1 Concepts we follow OEM standards.

Other vehicles may have the same directional vane rotors for the driver and passenger side include but not limited to some Mercedes, Porsche, and the Chevrolet Corvette Z06.

Credit - https://www.r1concepts.com/blog/directional-rotors/

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:14 AM   #14
L78toLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Quick web search...

Directional Rotors | R1 Concepts Slotted Rotor Direction

January 3, 2014 ALL POSTS, Brake Rotors, Car Care Tips, Other Brake Parts, R1 Concepts Braking News
If you are wondering which direction straight vane rotors and directional rotors need to be installed, visit R1 Concepts to learn more today!

Straight Vanes

On most vehicles, the factory brake rotors are usually straight vane rotors. This means the vane structure (internal) of the rotors are built straight from the center going outwards. Thus, if you have a straight vane rotor, the direction of the slots or holes is completely up to the buyer.

Directional Vanes

There are also a handful of cars that do come with directional rotors. Directional rotors have curved or an angled internal vane structure. For directional rotors, it is recommended to install the rotors based on internal vane structure and not on the direction of the slots or holes. This allows the rotor to “naturally” generate a vacuum effect that will pump air throughout the rotor which helps its cooling efficiency.

Exceptions to the Rule

There are some vehicles has the same factory directional rotors all around. Thus, you may have all right or left directional vanes all around.

For example, the Mini Cooper S has 4 LEFT directional vane rotors. That may not be obvious with the OEM Blank rotors, but if you take a look at the internal structure, that would stand true. The Mini Cooper S is equipped that way from the factory, and at R1 Concepts we follow OEM standards.

Other vehicles may have the same directional vane rotors for the driver and passenger side include but not limited to some Mercedes, Porsche, and the Chevrolet Corvette Z06.

Credit - https://www.r1concepts.com/blog/directional-rotors/

std SS and ZL1/ZLE have straight internal vanes, SS1LE has directional vanes. It should be noted that none of these have external slots like the GM big brake upgrade kit.