Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-31-2020, 01:42 PM   #1
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Want to relocate my microphone, where should I move it?

So basically, I'm fed up with not being able to be heard while driving when I am doing Bluetooth calls. I've been through three different phones since I purchased my 2017 Camaro SS and all of them exibited the same issue, and the issue is non existent in my other Bluetooth enabled vehicles. Callers frequently tell me that they cannot hear me and only hear road noise or wind when I am going anything beyond 30 MPH. When I am stopped or parked they can hear me crystal clear. My car is factory stock, no mods whatsoever.

I had an older 6th Gen 1LT that exhibited the same problems, fortunately at the time I was local to a dealership (now over 1,000 miles away) who went the extra mile and really tested the issue and eventually relocated the microphone, after doing so the problem went away. My current dealership however will not fix and says its normal road noise which I can't accept. My Bumper to Bumper warranty is gone and do not see the point of paying a dealer to give me the same answer.

Soooo... I need to relocate this microphone.. ..where, I do not know. and I also do not know how much free cable it possesses and to what extent I can move it. I know most vehicles have them mounted in the roof near the sunvisor rather than the A-Pillar.. ..any thoughts?
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:42 PM   #2
DorsoDuroJohn

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
interested in what you find out here. Had this issue in my Subi.
DorsoDuroJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 11:03 AM   #3
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
So basically, I'm fed up with not being able to be heard while driving when I am doing Bluetooth calls. I've been through three different phones since I purchased my 2017 Camaro SS and all of them exibited the same issue, and the issue is non existent in my other Bluetooth enabled vehicles. Callers frequently tell me that they cannot hear me and only hear road noise or wind when I am going anything beyond 30 MPH. When I am stopped or parked they can hear me crystal clear. My car is factory stock, no mods whatsoever.

I had an older 6th Gen 1LT that exhibited the same problems, fortunately at the time I was local to a dealership (now over 1,000 miles away) who went the extra mile and really tested the issue and eventually relocated the microphone, after doing so the problem went away. My current dealership however will not fix and says its normal road noise which I can't accept. My Bumper to Bumper warranty is gone and do not see the point of paying a dealer to give me the same answer.

Soooo... I need to relocate this microphone.. ..where, I do not know. and I also do not know how much free cable it possesses and to what extent I can move it. I know most vehicles have them mounted in the roof near the sunvisor rather than the A-Pillar.. ..any thoughts?
Have you talked to a dealership about it? Wasn't there an issue with some of the microphones in some of the different models at one point?
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:01 PM   #4
delthawk5

Drives: 2019 2SS Crush
Don’t have any issues with mine
delthawk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:31 AM   #5
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
The mic is not held very securely in place and sometimes gets loose and is no longer directly behind the opening. You can check that and secure it better with tape or rubber cement is it is loose. I had that problem after running some wires for the dash cam.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 12:15 AM   #6
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
they put it in a horrible place. Im going to put mine in the headliner like they are in the Silverados. I bought a mic for the 2014-18 Silverado. Ill make the wires longer to fit.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:41 PM   #7
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Have you talked to a dealership about it? Wasn't there an issue with some of the microphones in some of the different models at one point?
Long story short yes.

In my V6 6th Gen I had a dealership in Snellville GA look at it and they said functioning as intended and it was my phone, so I called them in their loaner car they gave me while I was doing 80 MPH and they could clearly hear me in their Malibu. I called them in the V6 6th Gen and they couldn’t hear a word I said after I got above 30 MPH. So I failed their survey and the manager called me back telling me he didn’t appreciate the failed survey and he took an SS down to Miami and experienced a similar problem to mine so they wanted to take a deeper look. In my V6 they ended up relocating the mic but they didn’t tell me where they put it. I never had a problem with it since then though. I later traded the V6 for the SS and eventually the problem returned... took it to another dealer because I moved out of state and they called it ‘road noise’. Then I went back to the same state that fixed my V6 and the same tech and manager no longer worked there so they just replaced the mic and that didn’t help. I took it back to the local stealer this time out of bumper to bumper and told them I would pay if they just relocate it. They didn’t. They just called it functioning as intended and charged me. So I’m pretty fed up with it. I have two other cars and the phone works fine in them, it’s just my SS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
they put it in a horrible place. Im going to put mine in the headliner like they are in the Silverados. I bought a mic for the 2014-18 Silverado. Ill make the wires longer to fit.
Please please please please PLEASE give me a write up as to how you do it. What kind of wiring do you need to extend the mic wires and how to splice them together (I’ve been intimidated by this because I don’t know how many wires are in the mic and I believe they are very small wires)
Old 01-25-2021, 10:10 PM   #8
JCunningham

there are only 2 wires. they are very small. I still havent gotten around to do this. I did buy the grill and microphone from a 14-18 Silverado though GM part #23399991. I then spray painted the grill of it flat black. it shouldn't be very hard. just have to cut the wires solder in longer wires and cut a hole in the head liner. Put some insulation behind the mic too.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 01-25-2021, 10:27 PM   #9
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
I was expecting this problem with my car after reading all the stuff here. Hasn’t happened. I can do 80 with the top and windows down and people I’m talking to say they can’t hear anything but me, and it’s crystal clear. And mine is a first model year gen 6. Gotta be an installation or mic issue for those with problems.
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:01 PM   #10
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
I was expecting this problem with my car after reading all the stuff here. Hasn’t happened. I can do 80 with the top and windows down and people I’m talking to say they can’t hear anything but me, and it’s crystal clear. And mine is a first model year gen 6. Gotta be an installation or mic issue for those with problems.
It's a random problem, some people get it and have to either replace seals or relocate the mic, others never have the issue. My mic was replaced and it didn't fix the problem.

Quote:
there are only 2 wires. they are very small. I still havent gotten around to do this. I did buy the grill and microphone from a 14-18 Silverado though GM part #23399991. I then spray painted the grill of it flat black. it shouldn't be very hard. just have to cut the wires solder in longer wires and cut a hole in the head liner. Put some insulation behind the mic too.
Is it possible to get the Microphone Cable from the Silverado and run it from the stereo to the headliner? I was thinking it would be long enough, but I dont know if it has the correct ports to go into the factory stereo.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:38 PM   #11
JCunningham

the plugs are the same but its not longer. you have to add 3 feet or so to the Silverado mic. Depends on were you put the mic on how long you would need the wires to be. In the Silverado the mic is above you in the head liner. I sure that would be the best place.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:14 AM   #12
BrandanK

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Please keep us posted. Hopefully you can post some pictures also.

I am having the same problem. Perhaps not as bad, but many people state that they can not hear me very well when I'm on concrete or if the NPP valves are open.

Brandan
BrandanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:24 PM   #13
volnedan

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1 6MT
My previous company did the microphone tuning for multiple OEMs, including GM. The A-pillar and rearview mirror are the worst locations for NVH and noise interference.

The headliner above the driver is the best spot. GM chose the A-pillar to have a common location for both coupe and convertible body styles.
volnedan is offline   Reply With Quote