Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-19-2019, 04:27 PM   #29
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post
Drive a Gen6 and see if you think it fits your needs / lifestyle. It's a better performer with more power and gadgets but it's also a smaller car overall which presents some limitations for some. I went from 5 to 6 and have no regrets, but it's also typically just me in the car or me & the wife. My daughter is in town this week and we had to take the '14 out so we had room for her in the back. Can't do that in my 6 without both being terribly uncomfortable with knees in the dash for the wife and my daughter's legs mashed behind the seat.

If none of that stuff matters, go for it.
I am thinking more along these lines too. Once you decide you want to do something different it makes sense to think from a clean sheet of paper.
If you put money in your current car it won't increase it's value, if it's wrecked or sold you won't get it back.
What is it you want most? Reliability, mpg, looks, hp, handling?
A GS 'vette might be your best fit, or a 4cyl pickup or loaded Camry (I just had one for a week and they get unreal mpg's; 42-48 highway mpg https://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/camry). I'm not here to criticize your choice. You asked what's best and that requires you to think hard what you prioritize for yourself.
A low milage 5th ZL1 might check the fun boxes for you or it might be more cornering G's and HP than you want. At the cost of higher purchase price, insurance and low mpgs. Same to be said for 6th SS or ZL1.

Last edited by silversleeper; 06-19-2019 at 04:42 PM.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:27 PM   #30
DewMan
Owner of "Thunderstruck!"

Drives: '10 2LT/RS/A6/sunroof CGM
Back on Track. The G6 and went more angular and lost some of it's curves that made the G5 look so awesome to me. The shortened body doesn't help either. I went to the dealer to checked out the G6 and there just wasn't enough plus to outweigh the negative in my mind so I'm keeping my 2010. Other than tires, the only other thing that has required attention was the OE battery finally needed replaced after 9 years today.

That being said. who cares what anyone else thinks. Do what feels right to you.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:40 PM   #31
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewMan View Post
That being said. who cares what anyone else thinks. Do what feels right to you.
Best advice

I really enjoyed the GEN5 but I just liked the styling and performance of the GEN6. I'm not knocking the GEN5 at all, it was a great car.
Drive and see what fits.

Also OP the post above had a good idea, if your not ready for the next GEN but want the HP a used GEN5 ZL1 with low miles would be a good purchase to concider.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:44 PM   #32
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i like em both.deciding factor to me would be if you are getting the manual trans or the maybe not so reliable 8 speed automatic in the 6th gen.call me crazy but i dont have much faith in the shuddering A8.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:00 PM   #33
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
i like em both.deciding factor to me would be if you are getting the manual trans or the maybe not so reliable 8 speed automatic in the 6th gen.call me crazy but i dont have much faith in the shuddering A8.

I’ve got a 2017 Colorado A8 and 2017 Camaro SS A8, so far so good. Not all of them are showing the issue, I wouldn’t let that sway me from a new GEN6. GM released a service bulletin to upgrade to a new Mobil 1 synthetic fluid that suppose to correct the issue it will be interesting to see how that works over the long haul. The 19s and up went to the A10 if you like the new refresh, I haven't heard of any issues with the A10.

Last edited by Memphis SS; 06-20-2019 at 08:57 AM. Reason: changed a few words around
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:38 PM   #34
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rod View Post
So you like the 6th gen but hate the 14/15 refresh, which is basically what you would get if the 6th gen had a baby with a 10-13 model. Interesting. Anyway, yea I'd definitely take the leap to the 6th gen if it were me. At 160k miles, things are bound to start breaking or needing replaced. I'd rather spend that money on a car payment for a nicer, newer car than maintenance on ticking time bomb, but that's just me.

Well.... I think for the 14-15 models, the tailights were a step backwards, didn't like the hood vent on the SS, and though minor... I like the full sized halo rings for the 10-13 model headlights. ....... and the Heritage Grill... that I never got around to buying :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
My opinion here is keep the car. Its paid for... fix it up like you said - keep it running, and fix whatever breaks. You can keep that 5th gen running for many years to come.

Yeah, I'm a bit paranoid as well with 155k miles myself. But this car runs so smoothly, that it is giving me no indication of it failing any time soon. I keep up with regular oil changes... sometimes sooner rather than later.

I'm keeping mine. The only issue with mine right now, is that the suspension is starting to show its age. It squeaks and creeks a bit going over speed bumps... I think I'm going to need new shocks/struts soon.

My car doesn't look worn at all on the exterior... a few nicks and very minor, unnoticeable scratches... but beyond that - it looks better than most 2yr old cars on the road. The interior could use a detail, but overall holding up really well, to include the CF decals I've added.

Anyway... I'd keep it, but that's just me because my only frame of reference is mine... and I've done a lot to it, both aesthetically and performance wise, already. It'd be painful to lose this paid off ride at this point for me.

These 5th gens will not fade...

If my car looked like yours, then I wouldn't be having this debate either. ..... Hell, I wish a deer would jump out in front, so I could justify upgrading to the ZL1 front, then I'd go ahead and stick with her for the long haul....... but to put all that money into basically restoring it.... I'm struggling to justify it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
Parts can be replaced. If you love your 5th Gen I'd keep it. You can always rebuild engines and transmissions, if she has no rust and rot it's worth keeping and building. Value wise, no it's probably not worth it. If you want a shiny new Camaro, I also wouldn't blame you. If you can wrench yourself I would especially keep your and build it up, something breaks replace it with something better, stronger, or adds power! If you don't wrench it might be too costly to do engine rebuild ect..

I can do some simple wrenching, but I really don't have the tools or space to do much.... nor the time..... so that makes it a bit more difficult for sure.
I wish I could have them both. I love them both pretty equally. I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post
Drive a Gen6 and see if you think it fits your needs / lifestyle. It's a better performer with more power and gadgets but it's also a smaller car overall which presents some limitations for some. I went from 5 to 6 and have no regrets, but it's also typically just me in the car or me & the wife. My daughter is in town this week and we had to take the '14 out so we had room for her in the back. Can't do that in my 6 without both being terribly uncomfortable with knees in the dash for the wife and my daughter's legs mashed behind the seat.

If none of that stuff matters, go for it.

I need to go check a 6th Gen out. I gave them a look back in 2016, but not that closely, and don't remember that vividly. Though I am strongly drawn to the tech advances for sure. I don't have wife/kids to transport, but my two dogs do take up some room and make trips difficult occasionally..... which I know won't be any better in a 6th Gen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
I am thinking more along these lines too. Once you decide you want to do something different it makes sense to think from a clean sheet of paper.
If you put money in your current car it won't increase it's value, if it's wrecked or sold you won't get it back.
What is it you want most? Reliability, mpg, looks, hp, handling?
A GS 'vette might be your best fit, or a 4cyl pickup or loaded Camry (I just had one for a week and they get unreal mpg's; 42-48 highway mpg https://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/camry). I'm not here to criticize your choice. You asked what's best and that requires you to think hard what you prioritize for yourself.
A low milage 5th ZL1 might check the fun boxes for you or it might be more cornering G's and HP than you want. At the cost of higher purchase price, insurance and low mpgs. Same to be said for 6th SS or ZL1.

Oh I'd LOVE to have the GS Vette, but that won't work well for a DD when I have 2 big ass dogs...... but if it weren't for that.....
Otherwise, I'm not primarily worried about HP. or bragging rights... Just occasionally a little fun, spirited, and/or aggressive driving.... with the aggressive looks that excite me (unlike the generic sedans)
I'm not terribly concerned with MPG or I wouldn't want a Camaro at all.... but I do still consider how much these things cost to drive, and for that reason don't want to go backwards in MPG..... even though a ZL1 would be very fun...... a 6th Gen ZL1 is sex on wheels, but also priced accordingly. Gotta pass.

So to update otherwise.....

The Camaro is my DD, and I have a Harley for my toy. As awesome as it is, it does sometimes come up short. Going on trips with myself and my dogs can be difficult. The lack of room can be an issue.... especially when I'm trying to bring my guns for a hunting trip..... which the Camaro definitely can't go into the woods for..... nor can it tow my Harley if needed. I wish I was loaded and could just have one of everything. 2 vehicles and a bike is asking quite a lot, and might not be realistic.

So for my car now, I did the math.... for me to upgrade to a more modern CD/Radio, add the minimal bolt on performance parts i want, add GFX, and repaint/fix dents/scratches, I would be looking at $6,000 to 10,000.. depending how simple to elaborate I go with it.
Thats just to get the car up to speed to where I wanted it all along.
Then let there be any mechanical failures and that price climbs.

At this age, and mileage, it is probably only worth 12-13k... and thats without subtracting for the dent in the rear quarter..
So as much as I do still love 5th Gens, and I know that if kept clean without scratches or dents, it will still be pretty for another decade easily, I feel like it would be irresponsible of me to put almost the value of the car back into it.... just to risk it breaking or getting hit and not making it those 10 more years.

What I want....
A nice camaro, with minimal performance/cosmetic mods that is eye catching and impressive, but not something that is full on car show material, or necessarily track worthy....... plus a Jeep that can take me hunting when necessary plus haul extra cargo or passengers when needed...... and my Harley.

I'm not terribly antsy on the Jeep, and figure that I can either A. fix my car up and then get a used jeep in 2 years or so or B. get a used 16-18 SS (manual) and push the jeep out until 3.5-4 years down the road.
But it goes back to the ultimate debate between putting more money into what I have now to bring it back to life.... or putting extra more money into a newer, nicer version that I will presumably be equally as happy and excited with and wont have to be worried about possible damage or loss of value.

This weekend I'm going to take a test drive or two.
Next weekend I'll see what Carmax thinks my car is worth.

Then I'll really have to sit down and debate.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:10 PM   #35
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
There's reasons why I bought my 5th gen over the 6th gen. Yeah the newer ones are a little faster and handle better but the looks do absolutely nothing for me personally. Why not look for a 5th gen 1le or zl1? Hell the way the market is currently you could find a low mileage z28 in the upper 30's.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:16 PM   #36
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS auto vert Nightfall Gray
I finally dumped my 15 SS L99 after getting smoked by a little C class turbo. Traded my detuned dog for a 17 SS rocket ship. Sorry gen 5 guys. I’m out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:57 PM   #37
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
If my car looked like yours, then I wouldn't be having this debate either. ..... Hell, I wish a deer would jump out in front, so I could justify upgrading to the ZL1 front, then I'd go ahead and stick with her for the long haul....... but to put all that money into basically restoring it.... I'm struggling to justify it.
Then I'd say get the front end if you like how the car's still driving. It will feel like a new car once installed. I remember how it made me feel after I installed it because I feel the same way now.

I got mine through Gary's and the finish on it was like new... so there go the nicks and scratches, at least on the bumper. Drop a bit over a grand to upgrade the front end, and keep the ride going for a few years... perhaps until the 7th gen comes out. Its supposed to be on another level. 2022 if I recall correctly...
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:55 PM   #38
captaincog

Drives: 1971 350RS/SS 4sp
I have had some bad luck with my 2013 v6 and with 138k on the clock I have both good and bad experiences.
The bad would be the Radio/HVAC system crapping out at 102k and the engine sucking a valve at 114k that went through the block. The rest would be a set of tires, brakes, a battery, and rear struts besides just normal maintenance. Oh, and the cheap stock air box clips breaking twice...…
The good is that it being my daily driver I have driven her from 1 to 8 hour commutes with being able to enjoy the drive even with a manual in SoCal traffic. I have been hit four times with some serious damage on 2 of those times. Even after repairs she seems to drive straight with no other issues. So I really still like her and I prefer her over the 6th gen.
I have had several weeks in a couple of 6th gens as rentals, both manual and automatic and I found it not as appealing and not as simple to operate as my 5th gen. I felt cramped in the interior and while fit and finish is good on the 6th gens it still felt small and I had to hunt for some controls. The driving experience in the 6th gens gave me the impression that they can be a bit tail happy.

My advice is to rent one and drive one for a week or two and see for yourself.
1971 RS/SS 350 4 speed Teal Green
captaincog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:03 AM   #39
djm96z28

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS LS3
At some point, I usually just get tired of the same car and want something differnet. I had my '96 Z28 for 15 years when I traded it for my '12 SS. I don't miss it at all. And I'll probably be getting rid of the SS after the summer. Mine are all daily drivers, so after that many years, I want a change. Sounds like you might want one also.
djm96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:16 AM   #40
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
If money isn't the issue since your 5th gen is paid off, why not keep it and slowly mods it and buy a 6th gen. Best of both worlds.
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote