Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-16-2021, 07:27 PM   #15
Beescuz

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Wow, 25 events a year is a ton.

How does open track compare to pricewise to getting a bunch of single day coverage options. I only do 4-5 per year, but I was curious about open track.

I've used both Lockton and Hagerty before.
You have to do a lot of track days for Open track to make sense. Also depends on the value of the cars you enter.
Have two cars on the 12 month plan.
2021 Chevy Camaro ZL1 1LE
2020 Ford Mustang GT 500 Track Pack

At 25 days I pay $131.66 per day. So $3,291.66 12 month plan. If you only do a couple days it doesn't make sense.
Beescuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:21 AM   #16
clyde

Drives: broken
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
They may just deny your claim even if there isn't some sort of racing clause in it. My theory is why risk a major investment to save a couple of hundred dollars.
I agree with this approach. Even if the carrier covers without resistance, very good chance they will drop you. If that happens, you'll need a new policy with a new carrier and many discounts you may currently enjoy may be lost in the process (x years customer, x years without a claim, bundling, etc), plus you'll have a claim you'll need to report. That new policy will almost certainly cost more than track day coverage would have cost.

Quote:
I don't personally insure for autox, but I also don't take the Camaro to events where there are hard things within spinning distance. That's what the Miata is for, until I have like $20k into it lol.
FWIW, a full season of autocross coverage from Lockton costs me less than a single CAM-sized tire at $40k stated value (policy purchased before the recent value run up).

Everyone's risk tolerance is different, but I've seen and am aware of enough incidents (even at sites without hard things within spinning distance) to look at that cost and not buy the insurance.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:26 PM   #17
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beescuz View Post
You have to do a lot of track days for Open track to make sense. Also depends on the value of the cars you enter.
Have two cars on the 12 month plan.
2021 Chevy Camaro ZL1 1LE
2020 Ford Mustang GT 500 Track Pack

At 25 days I pay $131.66 per day. So $3,291.66 12 month plan. If you only do a couple days it doesn't make sense.
Thanks for the breakdown, much appreciated.

I was thinking just that, more track days, bigger savings. So the break even between other providers is probably somewhere close to ~10-15 days per year.

I will stick to Hagerty or Lockton for now. Thanks again!
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:25 AM   #18
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
how do you total a car at an auto x? lol hit too many cones?
I knew someone that totalled a car during an autocross. I did not see it myself, but apparently they had slid off the pavement sideways and it dug into the grass then rolled onto the roof. This was ~30 years ago, so 'Track Insurance' was not something I had heard of yet, and I don't know if they got anything financially for the car or not.

Also saw someone hit a curb with a G60 Corrado, big-time suspension damage.

So autocross does have SUBSTANTIALLY less risk than track days for sure, but there is still a chance of damage, however infrequent.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:25 AM   #19
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
If you have collector car insurance through Grundy you gotta put your John Hancock on one of these. Good to know before Gymkhana season starts.
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2021, 07:24 AM   #20
Feffman

Drives: Various
In our experience, most if not all insurance companies have added a clause reading something to the effect, "No coverage is provided on any type of racing surface".

Feff
Old 08-02-2021, 04:00 PM   #21
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
IMO a person should value the car high and take the low deductible, or self insure and take your chances. Ive never had a claim but ive heard 1st hand that under valuing your car and putting the deductible high could let them total the car, fix it and sell it at less total loss to them. Also at a 15% deductible, you would have to have over 8 grand in damage to see any money at all.
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:32 PM   #22
DaveC113

I've certainly thought about this as I've started doing more autox events.

There have been 2 cars totaled in the 2 years I've been going to both SCCA and BMWCCA events. I'd put the number of runs to about 15,000 per year between the two orgs. There are a ton of drivers, tons of cars and hours and hours of driving. I was right there within 100 ft of one car and just heard details about the other. In the incident I saw, the driver didn't brake until he had gone way through the corner, past a wall of cones and nearly into the dirt, then there's another 20-30 ft until there's a wall. It wasn't really explicable as he missed the braking zone by many car lengths. Another time an inexperienced driver tried to save a slide in a high-hp rwd car and hit a concrete wall.

In my experience, all courses I've personally experienced have been very safe, as long as you don't try to save a slide with the throttle. In every driver's meeting they say NOT to attempt this, put 2 feet in and hit the clutch and brake until the car stops. My 1st year I slid a decent amount of times but now it's pretty rare, but when I did lose it the car will stop very quickly if you just hit the brake instead of the throttle. Often you brake approaching a wall or dirt, but in all cases you can miss the braking zone by A LOT and still be ok. So I'd agree there is risk but I also think course designers are doing a good job mitigating risk. The only way to nearly eliminate it would be a massive smooth open lot with no lightpoles, not too many folks are lucky enough to have such a venue.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:52 PM   #23
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i still dont get how you can total a car at auto x lol but i guess i dont auto x enough i have seen lots of cars on trailers at the track tho...my first time ever at big track my buddy totalled his car same exact car as me...scared the hell out of me but still finished my day

bigger issue i have seen lately at least here in cali is cars on fire...i know of at least 4-5 cars on fire at tracks lately most small and ones that were able to put out but another guy lately was not so lucky...
Old 08-02-2021, 09:24 PM   #24
5.M0NSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i still dont get how you can total a car at auto x lol but i guess i dont auto x enough
Here is an example. Feel bad for the guy, but totally driver error.

5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:20 PM   #25
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Here is an example. Feel bad for the guy, but totally driver error.

Personally, I wouldn't drive that course. I think the wall is far too close.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:14 AM   #26
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
haha thats actually my home track fontana they do auto x there and in the big course wouldnt ever do it there and that guy doesnt look like he does much auto x...let alone be allowed on the big track next door
Old 08-03-2021, 11:36 AM   #27
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
That Vette video taught me to really pay attention to course layout. That clip is a good example IMO of a perfect storm of poor layout, inexperienced driver and just plain bad luck. I'm fortunate that the pad I play on (AMP in PHX) has a minimum amount of hazards. If I check out a course and there are curbs and light poles I'll pass.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:46 PM   #28
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
as long as you don't try to save a slide with the throttle.

You can absolutely catch a Slide with the Throttle

In every driver's meeting they say NOT to attempt this, put 2 feet in and hit the clutch and brake until the car stops.

Now a Spin is a whole nother ballgame. Don't try to save a Spin with the throttle ( unless you are in an Early Porsche 911)
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote