Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-13-2021, 09:43 AM   #1
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
soooo..

just came back from the a/c shop.evaporator core is leaking bad,and its a dealer job to pull the windshield and replace,probably north of 2 grand.at this point im not sure if its worth doing it or selling while cars are high used and getting a mustang or 370z.could even hold off and drive the wifes honda coupe until prices go back down,then look for something.WTF was chevy thinking with this design where the windshield must come out to fix the evaporator?
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:02 AM   #2
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
F@#%!!! That sucks! It will be difficult to sell the car with broken A/C in Fla. I've read were you can cut the bolts, thereby eliminating the windshield removal but a dash blow-up is a big job regardless. Think about this a few days before making a decision. Maybe you can find a local shop that's done this before. Hopefully the forum faithful can give you some good encouragement and maybe some alternatives.

Last edited by ariZona28; 07-13-2021 at 11:19 AM.
ariZona28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:31 AM   #3
SSFury
My Road Rage is Legendary

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS "Fury"
Had this done. Yup, about 2 Grand. Plus, you have to hope that they do it right. Luckily my place did. But yeah, crappy deal.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:33 PM   #4
redcoats1976

i am kind of wondering how long the next evaporator will last...2k every 5 years isnt something i want to sign on for.im 63 and arthritis means im not doing this job at home.could just sell it,i know i would take an additional 2k loss minus a/c but since the wife and i are retired we could share our other car which is a honda civic coupe and save on insurance,but it would kinda suck driving the honda to car shows...does anyone know what percentage of these units fail?
Old 07-13-2021, 01:09 PM   #5
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
It seems everything about the heat and a/c system (blend door and now condenser) involves $2G’s and a windshield pull. Indeed, WTF was Chevy thinking? As much as we all love our cars, it’s beginning to seem like keeping them long term is more of a money pit than I thought. No?
Old 07-13-2021, 01:25 PM   #6
redcoats1976

at this point im not sure if i should just trade it in or sell it.GM engineering flat sucks.
Old 07-13-2021, 01:46 PM   #7
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Did you really just ask if you should buy a Mustang redcoat? What the heck man?! (Only kidding, btw. I know this is infuriating). Why not just go with another 5th gen? Or better yet, just get it repaired and move on. You know yourself that these really are great cars with fantastic reliability, especially the LS powered cars. Don't go to the Mustang thinking the grass is greener, as those cars have their own suite of issues. I am not anti-Mustang at all, just saying that every car has it's weak spots, and you may be walking into an entirely new set of issues. As for the 370z...very nice car, but as an 'older gentleman', I know I would probably not find that the most comfortable and suitable car out of everything else available today. I just think you can do better.

BTW, a LOT of cars these days require the windshield to be pulled for evaporator core replacement. Its the unfortunate nature of these cab-forward designs where the dash is crammed with every single piece of tech and sensor possible and the engines are set so far behind the front axle. I just watched a YouTube video of this exact procedure last night on a late model Audi. Entire dash assembly, front interior, and windshield had to come out, but luckily they were able to save the original windshield.

I know you are frustrated, but in the wise words of our Potato-In-Chief....'C'mon man?!'
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 02:13 PM   #8
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Me, I would just bite the bullet and get it fixed. You do like your Camaro right? This way you don't have any "extra" car payments and such and are still enjoying your car. One of my friends just had to do this on his 2014 Challenger R/T and it cost him 1800, windshield and dash removal, he didn't want to sell the car or trade it because her really enjoyed it. Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-13-2021, 02:37 PM   #9
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
It seems everything about the heat and a/c system (blend door and now condenser) involves $2G’s and a windshield pull. Indeed, WTF was Chevy thinking? As much as we all love our cars, it’s beginning to seem like keeping them long term is more of a money pit than I thought. No?

These cars will never be the money pit a 10 year old BMW is.

A 2010 Camaro at 10 years old is a MUCH better car than a 10 year old BMW with the same mileage.

Truth - a 10 year old Toyota Corolla is a MUCH better car than a 10 year old BMW so there's that.
ADVMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:01 PM   #10
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Have a glass company cut out the windshield. It can be done without breaking it. Removing the dash as a whole, is WAY less complicated than people think it is. Its literally front seats, center console, A-pillar trim, steering column, a few grounds and bulk head connectors and mounting bolts. I see people tearing their dashes apart down to the frame and just shake my head.... But to each their own....
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 04:02 PM   #11
GAD

Drives: Silver 2014 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Did you really just ask if you should buy a Mustang redcoat? What the heck man?! (Only kidding, btw. I know this is infuriating). Why not just go with another 5th gen? Or better yet, just get it repaired and move on. You know yourself that these really are great cars with fantastic reliability, especially the LS powered cars. Don't go to the Mustang thinking the grass is greener, as those cars have their own suite of issues. I am not anti-Mustang at all, just saying that every car has it's weak spots, and you may be walking into an entirely new set of issues. As for the 370z...very nice car, but as an 'older gentleman', I know I would probably not find that the most comfortable and suitable car out of everything else available today. I just think you can do better.

BTW, a LOT of cars these days require the windshield to be pulled for evaporator core replacement. Its the unfortunate nature of these cab-forward designs where the dash is crammed with every single piece of tech and sensor possible and the engines are set so far behind the front axle. I just watched a YouTube video of this exact procedure last night on a late model Audi. Entire dash assembly, front interior, and windshield had to come out, but luckily they were able to save the original windshield.

I know you are frustrated, but in the wise words of our Potato-In-Chief....'C'mon man?!'
"Potato-In-Chief" hahahahhahahaah fking epic. I literally laughed out loud.
2014 Silver 2SS L99 with Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LT Headers, Kooks Cat-less 3” exhaust, TS Stage 3.2 VVT CAM, Circle D 3200 Stall, E85 Kit, FIC 850cc injectors and Elite Engineering Catch Can. Dynoed at 478rwhp.
GAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 04:51 PM   #12
redcoats1976

just a little frustrated.i never realised all these cars need the front windshield removed to replace the evaporator.the wife has of course been doing what good wives do,bitching and moaning like i spent the 2 grand on hookers and blow.i will probably just bite the bullet and get it done and see if GM customer care will work with me on it,because i know the car has never been beat on,and if i bought something else it probably would entail making payments.anyone ever try contacting customer care about this issue,and if so what were the results?
Old 07-13-2021, 05:57 PM   #13
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
2 grand on hookers and blow.
That's an alternative that I hadn't considered but may be appropriate in this situation.

Last edited by ariZona28; 07-13-2021 at 06:12 PM.
ariZona28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:00 PM   #14
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
I've been down this road many times with cars leaking evaporators. Few things I would do before having it replaced. Get a second opinion, I had a Cadillac that had a leaking evap. After they pulled it out it was found the orings where it connects were the real leak but because ac coolant is heavier than air it was showing up inside the car as a evap leak.

Another thing to consider is a sealer treatment that seals any leaks.

Unfortunately I seriously doubt the windshield can be reused after removal. The rubber seal in permanently attached to the glass and is not replaceable. It most certainly will get damaged during removal and can't be repaired. These windshields go any place from 500 to 1200 depending on who is installing it.

I think if you shop around in Fla you should find a decent shop that can do it half what a dealer would charge. Personally I rather use a good shop over a dealer anyway. There are ways around removing the windshield too.

How fast is it loosing coolant? Realize its not something you want to breath in the car while driving if you are refilling it once a week etc. Very dangerous.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote