Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-26-2021, 10:27 PM   #1
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Ticking or clicking sound from bellhousing area

Anyone experienced this? My car has a 416 with twin turbos, built trans and Circle D converter. It runs fine it just has that sound that sounds like it's right at the bellhousing, doesn't sound like it's internal.

Could it possibly be a cracked flex plate? It is the stock one. My mechanic said all bolts are tight and he used loctite on them. It's a pain to take out the trans now because of all of the turbo stuff so I'd like to have a reason to before we do.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 11:24 PM   #2
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
You have any video of the sound?
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 06:57 AM   #3
Umbriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
No but I'm going to pull it out of the garage this morning and get one.

Old 06-27-2021, 10:15 AM   #4
Umbriel

Quote:
Here's a video of it, it's kind of hard to make out because the car makes ao much noise anyway.

https://youtu.be/uqxuU55jl74

Old 06-27-2021, 10:55 AM   #5
Puddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
Here's a video of it, it's kind of hard to make out because the car makes ao much noise anyway.

https://youtu.be/uqxuU55jl74

Sounds like something is grinding underneath there. I'd go ahead and pull the transmission just to look at the flex plate and if it wasn't that start tearing into the transmission.
Old 06-27-2021, 11:11 AM   #6
Umbriel

Quote:
Sounds like something is grinding underneath there. I'd go ahead and pull the transmission just to look at the flex plate and if it wasn't that start tearing into the transmission.
I really hope it isn't the trans, it just came back from Tim King for a full rebuild. Do you think it's possible it's a flex plate?

Just so we are on the same page the only noise I'm talking about is the higher pitch ticking sound.

Old 06-27-2021, 05:40 PM   #7
Puddin

I hear the higher pitch noise but that's not what caught my attention. The lower pitch grinding sound that sounds like something is rubbing on the inside of something or something that's not bolted down tight and it's wobbling. Are you experiencing and trans issues?
Old 06-27-2021, 07:17 PM   #8
Umbriel

Quote:
I hear the higher pitch noise but that's not what caught my attention. The lower pitch grinding sound that sounds like something is rubbing on the inside of something or something that's not bolted down tight and it's wobbling. Are you experiencing and trans issues?
No none at all, the only noise that's new is the higher pitched ticking sound, it has always made that other lower noise even before the trans and converter was rebuilt, I just took it as a normal noise for what all I have and no one has said anything about it. I think it is louder in the video than in person.

Old 06-29-2021, 07:33 AM   #9
Puddin

Quote:
No none at all, the only noise that's new is the higher pitched ticking sound, it has always made that other lower noise even before the trans and converter was rebuilt, I just took it as a normal noise for what all I have and no one has said anything about it. I think it is louder in the video than in person.

Maybe a torque converter issue since the trans has been built? I know some have had issues with Circle D converters and have had to replace them which Circle D will honor if it is in fact a problem with their converter.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:34 PM   #10
Umbriel

Quote:
Maybe a torque converter issue since the trans has been built? I know some have had issues with Circle D converters and have had to replace them which Circle D will honor if it is in fact a problem with their converter.
Not sure either. I'm dropping it back off, again, Thursday to be looked at. One day I'll be able to drive it for more than a couple of days.

Old 06-30-2021, 12:04 AM   #11
Puddin

Quote:
Not sure either. I'm dropping it back off, again, Thursday to be looked at. One day I'll be able to drive it for more than a couple of days.

I know the feeling I had a year where I went through two long blocks. Now I got petty stuff going out like my door locks and ac cooling fan.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:54 AM   #12
Umbriel

Quote:
I know the feeling I had a year where I went through two long blocks. Now I got petty stuff going out like my door locks and ac cooling fan.
Well I'll know something tomorrow, hopefully it's just a bolt that has backed out or something simple but I doubt it with ny luck.

Old 07-01-2021, 04:27 PM   #13
Umbriel

Quote:
Well it was a loose 02 sensor, lol. Everything seems to be fine, I'm so glad it was something easy after all I've done/spent on this thing.