Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-15-2020, 07:25 PM   #1
robertd33

Drives: 2018 2ss redline
$20 catch can

--The catch can--
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY I'm spending $200 on a catch can, which I think is a RIDICULOUS cost for what it is. I first bought one on ebay ($20.88) because it has parallel outlets (& several extra fittings), and there's no reason in this engine bay to have the hoses draped around with awkward/meaningless bends. I could have made it work, but I got a better idea. The size was a little bigger than optimal for my 1st plan of placement, so I also bought a "Mishimoto" clone for $14.84. It has very surprising tolerance & quality. I'm way beyond happy with the quality. The splayed out fittings is inconvenient, but is acceptable.

--"Redline" hose clamp--
With new 3/8" hose on new/clean fittings, hose clamps were pretty much not necessary, so that gave me the chance to experiment with a new idea. They are quite simply colored zip ties to match my white/black/Redline color scheme.

--placement--
Why would I move it way back by the firewall?!? My original idea was to 3D print a plug for the filter (in the bottom-right) of pic 4, & print a fitting to move it to the front-left of the throttle body hose. But while designing & testing, there was enough space to put in the shown location. There is enough space to reach underneath from the front to comfortably unscrew the can to empty it.

--hoses--
I was originally going to chop off the ends of the factory hoses of the PCV hose & pre-side hose to relocate them & still be quick-connect fittings with extra hose to rejoin them at their new location. But... if I need service/warranty, I'll need to undo this & didn't want to buy spares. There's plenty of room on the PCV & intake to use clamps on the hose, so that's what I chose. (also that rhymed) Just saved myself a lot of work custom designing. I also found a great deal on 10' braided PTFE from Amazon ($14), but I decided to not risk custom-sealing it on (because i decided to not cut the QD fittings). I can live with boring black LP fuel hose.

---Total---
Catch can $14.84
Fuel hose at O'Reilly = $4.58
Project total = $19.42
Laughing at the ludicrous cost of name brands that are "better" = Priceless

====#1 - very versatile catch can. You can add your own filter material on the inside to improve it. Pretty good quality. Also has a dipstick to check the fill level.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Aluminu...W/114361119840

====#2 - very good quality! Good looking finish. pretty much identical to "others". Link below to a comparison video.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Aluminu...d/254346319234

====guy does Mishimoto vs generic comparison

====PTFE hose
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078TD8KKZ

I get no money from any of the products mentioned

Last edited by robertd33; 10-15-2020 at 08:53 PM.
robertd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:03 AM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
$50k 2020 Camaro 2SS... I can afford the $200 for the Mishimoto... If I can't, I shouldn't have bought the car in the first place...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:26 AM   #3
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
I can afford the Mishimoto as well but, there's no sense overpaying for something so basic in construction and function. When e85 conversion kits first came on the market, they were well over $400. The kit is essentially the sensor and some wires. Cost in parts was maybe $100. I got my kit from a then up and coming distributor for $150 and that kit is still going strong in my car. Being smart with your money doesn't mean you're poor. It means you spend your money wisely.
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:55 AM   #4
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
^ Agreed. So many performance parts are so overpriced. These catch cans get to be stupid at over $250. I've been thinking about a Might Mouse as my shop says those are the only one they recommend, but daggone crazy money.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:07 AM   #5
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
$50k 2020 Camaro 2SS... I can afford the $200 for the Mishimoto... If I can't, I shouldn't have bought the car in the first place...
I think a stock $50k Camaro doesn't even need a catch can, and if you feel like adding one you might as well not overpay. Having said that when I go fbo, for a few bucks more I'll be going with MM at that point.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:08 AM   #6
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
^ Agreed. So many performance parts are so overpriced. These catch cans get to be stupid at over $250. I've been thinking about a Might Mouse as my shop says those are the only one they recommend, but daggone crazy money.
Agreed, I hear good things about Elite and MM but dang that's a lot of $$ for what it is imo.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:08 AM   #7
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post

What we shake our head at is the science involved in this and people don't attack a vendor selling $450 headers VS $2400 set, or a made in China tire VS a speed rated performance tire, yet here all lump each device into "It's just a catchcan".

99% of cans no matter the price are nothing but a small container that at best may trap 15% of what enters it (you know, the stuff you don't want ingested?) allowing the majority to still pass through and be ingested as if no device was installed (all containers will trap some) and then compare it to a true air/oil separating crankcase evacuation system, that not only traps 95% of what enters it not allowing hardly any to be ingested, but one that has enough unaffiliated 3rd party independent testing that validates and verifies what it does. From keeping your engine oil cleaner far longer reducing wear, to reducing most knock retard caused by this ingestion.

Not here to fight but to educate and share actual technical data. If you do attack us as the few that always do, we will ask Admin to deal with it. We have been a loyal supporting vendor here since near the beginning and without supporting vendors to pay the expenses of running a site like this, there will be none.

So, over 13,000 miles running our system by this independent tech that wanted to verify the claims we make of how flushing and removing the contaminants that overwhelm motor oil so it cannot protect properly to extending oil life. Again, we don't share ANY of our own tests. Just the independent techs that challenge a claim. So there can be no bias as we challenge any of you with any other system design to head to head testing.

Read the Lab Techs comments.

So comparing a $15 generic little container to a Patented proven (the 2 year study conducted by one of the Worlds most respected Lubrication labs alone....THEY funded 100%. THEY contacted us, and all we did was provide the systems. THEY purchased a fleet of different GDI powered vehicles.

So, investing $40-50-60k on an awesome vehicle and then using less expensive critical protection parts makes no sense to us, but feel free to choose what you personally want. We don't attack you for this, we just shake our heads. NO other company not only is made up almost entirely of Engineers like we are, but an Automotive Engineer with PCV systems and proper crankcase evacuation is their specialty. Not a single other company making/selling "catchcans" provides any science, and data, and proof. And we challenge ANYONE that thinks they have a device that even comes close to have a public dedicated thread on here conducting the testing.

Cheers!!
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:09 PM   #8
PeteSS2018

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro
So my thoughts were, this is a first generation of DI V8 motors from GM, and the history of use/maintenance isnt there yet (at least not for long enough to really know enough). Id have thought a catch can purely as a preventative measure is a good idea... but if youre gonna do it, surely use one thats actually going to be effective. Saving $200 for a $50k+ car?
Eibach Prokit springs
Mamo LT1 Ported TB
PeteSS2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:18 PM   #9
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i didnt have a catch can on my old cobalt ss tuned and bolt ons and dont have one on my new camaro tuned and bolt ons either...unless your forced induction or full bolts on and hci i dont think its really needed
Old 10-16-2020, 07:14 PM   #10
robertd33

Drives: 2018 2ss redline
if anyone else is offended by me creating the same thing for a much cheaper price or posting this, meh.

i can afford whatever catch can i want, but would not pay $200 when i can do the same for $20. if somebody wants, to, meh.

i'm sure there is science & research that manufacturers put into their products, i don't question their performance or data, but does not mean that others have not.

if it was $200 or no can, i would go without. if the engine fails because of the intake oil, then the LS/LT design would not have lived this long. afaik, forums are about sharing ideas, designs, mods, etc, general involvement with the particular car. this is mine, & i'm glad to share with other owners. if they buy 200 or 20 or none, meh.
robertd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:52 AM   #11
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
I knew a certain somebody would chime in.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:42 AM   #12
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
To Elite Engineering,

Nobody is attacking you or your product. I have no doubt it does exactly what you claim it does. It's an option in the free market, as is all aftermarket parts and add-ons. If you were to provide head to head testing of your product vs a DIY one and show data that it performs remarkably better, I'd actually consider purchasing your product. The pessimist in me just can't see it performing THAT much better to warrant such a price discrepancy. Maybe I'm wrong but, until I see data to suggest otherwise, I'm going with my intuition in figuring the performance difference doesn't warrant such a price difference. I'm the consumer. Change my mind...
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:20 PM   #13
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Darth Martel

If you read our post we supply just that. And no other company does this.

Watch this video to see head to head against this companies best highest priced:

Start at the 17 minute mark to see the end results, then watch it all. Same with this:

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...rt-2-a-532449/

Or this:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512223

ANY can can be tested head to head, and as you can see, this is not a small disparity, it is night and day. Any other cans you want to see tested head to head? This is very detailed and well documented, and we performed none of these. ALL are independent techs that made the same claims as you have. And they conducted the tests themselves.

Any data you could imagine related to these we can provide from 3rd party sources. Same with the oil analysis we provided. That is from an unrelated 3rd party that challenged our claims as well. Far more credibility when we play no part in these challenges. And we still have this open and public challenge to ANY can design. Almost all can only trap from 15% to say a max of 30% when this patented design traps 95% plus. So no idle claim or brag, but fact just as you asked for.

And here is what the cheap Ebay can that traps less than 15% looks like after a year in use:

And 4 separate chambers and 3 separate processes take place in ours and a total of 9" of travel where the incoming oil laden vapors never mix with the scrubbed outgoing vapors unlike the EBay can where incoming and outgoing all mix together comingling in one common chamber:

Same with the data from the Lubrication Lab. They controlled every aspect of their 2 years of testing and study on an entire fleet of GDI vehicles. And they funded it 100%, we only provided the systems they used.

And as a reminder to all, email our Engineering and Technical Support team direct at: Tech@EliteEngineeringUSA.com with any questions before or after purchasing, and this is on ANY can, we will guide you on installation.

Cheers!
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:32 PM   #14
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I don't claim to be an expert on catch cans, but I have been reading threads on this site over the last couple of months. And while I am not an engineer, I am a scientist. I watched the first video link posted by Elite of their RX can HTH with an alternative can and I think I come to a somewhat different conclusion:

The Elite can seems to possibly catch more water and whatever is dissolved in it (acids?) than the other can, but doesn't capture any more of the darker (oily?) stuff that we are trying to keep off the back of our valves.

Here's the data from the video that underpin my conclusion:
-Both cans seem to trap ~100ml of material when they are positioned first in line
- When the non-Elite can is positioned second in line, it trapped ~ 4-5ml of dark (oily?) stuff and no light colored (water, etc) stuff
- When the Elite can was positioned second in line, it trapped ~ 5ml of dark stuff (similar to the non-Elite can), + about 55ml of light color liquid (presumably water +/- acids since it's underneath the dark stuff)

To be fair, the Elite can did seem to catch 55ml of water (and maybe other water soluable compounds) when positioned second in line, but the significance of this is unclear, and for two reasons: 1) It's not clear if that 55ml contained anything other than water; even if it did contain something more noxious, what risk does this actually pose to the valves that we are trying to keep clean? 2) When the Elite can was placed 1st in line, it didn't trap anymore total volume than when the non-Elite can was positioned 1st in line (perhaps it should have caught 55ml more of light colored water soluable material when it had the chance).

I like that Elite cans are designed by Engineers and had hoped to see the benefit borne out in HTH testing, but it doesn't look like this is the case; At least from the first video which seemed to be a well decently well designed HTH amateur comparison. So if you are buying a catch can to primarily catch oil, it looks like both the Elite can and the non-Elite can performed similarly.

For the benefit of all interested forum members, I encourage others to provide their views of the data shown in the video. Just please keep your comments constructive and based on the data rather than opinion.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote