Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 08-26-2020, 06:24 AM   #1
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
Noob questions on putting things back together

So, I've spent a few days (taking my time) taking the engine apart to get to the lifters, in order to replace them with LS7 lifters. I would have had the heads pulled yesterday but, when I got to the bolts, I found that the aftermarket bolts used had the 12-point heads on them as opposed to the standard hex heads. Which, of course, I had no 12-point sockets. So, I went and got a 12-point socket set and took the rest of the day off from working on my car since it was so damn hot out. Now, I haven't removed the heads yet but, so far, I haven't seen anything I've removed with any RTV sealant used. I was told to purchase Right Stuff RTV, which I did. I do have a brand new set of head gaskets as well as a new set of header gaskets. Where exactly would I use the RTV sealant? Or is the RTV used elsewhere during a cam install and I was told to get the RTV thinking I was doing more than I'm actually doing? Just curious as to where I would need to use it when I start putting things back together.

The process, so far, hasn't been horrible. The heat I've been having to work in has really been the worst part. There have been a few frustrations but, it's mostly from having to remove things I didn't think I would have to in order to get to bolts and connectors. I had to remove my Stainless Works headers because I couldn't move them out of the way to get to the head bolts. Which meant I had to remove the steering shaft as well in order to get the driver's side header out. The high flow cats I had on were biznatch to get off. I had to use a hammer. Getting to the steering shaft was a bit problematic as well since the header is pretty big. There just isn't a lot of room to effectively grab it with my big paws. I couldn't simply push up to get it to move up towards the steering wheel. I had to wiggle it up in order to get it to move. Was frustrating considering I was constantly hot and dripping with sweat. I got it done but, ugh...

Next up, head removal and then replacing the lifters, cleaning things up a bit before putting the heads back on, doing preload checks with an adjustable pushrod, potentially ordering new pushrods, installing those and the rockers, and then replacing everything in reverse order. Is there anything I should do to the heads other than cleaning the surfaces where the gasket goes? My dad said something about getting them milled but, I'm not sure if that's necessary or not. Should I give them a light sanding to smooth the surface?

Any suggestions or tips are appreciated.

Thanks all
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:48 AM   #2
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Believe the timing cover and oil pan will need the RTV.

While you have the heads off, you could have your machine shop clean them and check them for cracks. Then a light resurface to make sure it’s perfectly flat, if necessary.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:00 AM   #3
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
OK phew!!! I'm not touching the timing cover nor oil pan so, won't need to use the RTV. I'm only changing out the lifters. Everything else cam related has already been done.

I don't have a machine shop as of yet. I'm guessing I just need to remove the heads and see what they look like before I make the call on if they need to go to the machine shop or not. I'm thinking PROBABLY not but, won't know for sure until I take a look.

Thanks for the information!!!
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:48 AM   #4
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Make sure to look down the lifter bores and inspect the cam lobes for wear.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:07 AM   #5
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Old school guy here, no experience on the newer stuff, but I thought on LS motors (and newer) you could pull the lifters out using their plastic retainers without removing the heads?
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:13 AM   #6
KingLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
Old school guy here, no experience on the newer stuff, but I thought on LS motors (and newer) you could pull the lifters out using their plastic retainers without removing the heads?
On LS/LT engines the lifter trays are under the heads.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:32 AM   #7
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
On LS/LT engines the lifter trays are under the heads.
The pockets where the lifters/trays live are in the block under the heads.....Found these good pics on the interweb.
Attached Images

nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:56 AM   #8
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
In your situation, I wouldn't do anything to the heads - just clean of gasket and reinstall.

Saying that I will be doing the same job this winter and will have the heads ported.

Post some images...everyone like to look at pics!

**Update: I recall you had failed lifters...I'd closely examine the valve tips for damage (mushrooming) and possibly the rocker tips for unusual wear. Would be dependent on how long they ran it.**

Last edited by Tim M; 08-27-2020 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Update
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:28 PM   #9
gmcvt

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS A10
Quote:
Maybe you are thinking about the fact that you can swap the cam out without having to pull the lifters? The plastic retainers will "grab" onto the lifters and hold them clear of the cam lobes so that you can slide the cam out.
2018 Mustang GT A10 Kooks Lt's, E85 & Lund tune*SOLD*
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Silver- CAI, Bo-body, VRSP-2 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 Lt's w/cats, Magnaflow street CB(15089), QTP ovals, Elite can, Vengeance Racing tune. *SOLD*
gmcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:18 PM   #10
KingLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcvt View Post
Maybe you are thinking about the fact that you can swap the cam out without having to pull the lifters? The plastic retainers will "grab" onto the lifters and hold them clear of the cam lobes so that you can slide the cam out.
Some have gotten lucky over the years by rotating the cam a couple revolutions before pulling it to keep the lifters up in the trays but it's a gamble. You are always best to use dowel rods to hold the lifters in place if pulling only the cam.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:17 PM   #11
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
The pockets where the lifters/trays live are in the block under the heads.....Found these good pics on the interweb.
Ahh...ok. I remember seeing them pulling those out on the Engine Power series several times, but I thought it was thru the heads. Old memory’s not so good.

Thanks
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote