Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-14-2019, 06:32 PM   #1
Liquidstone

Drives: 2018 ZL11LE
Excited to Track my ZL1 1LE

Hey guys hope your all well. As you can see this is my first post!
Never the less I am really excited to track my car for the first time this year.
April 19th will be street legal night at the drag strip, then April 22 will my first track day!
My mechanical skills are not too bad and fully intend to do my own breaks, oil and fluid changes as i have done with past vehicles.

My questions are as follows

How many track days can the factory pads last? and are there any pad that you guys recommend. ?

As far as the rotors are concern, besides visible damage from track use. at what Millimeter thickness do i replace the rotors?

Also if you guys have any tips for bleeding the breaks, im always open to new ways of doing things.
Liquidstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:02 PM   #2
Gbrownzl1

Drives: Zl1
How long your pads last is really up to your driving style and what track you are at. I hear the stock pads are good at the track I have no personal experience with them. I have my first track day coming up on the 15 of April and plan on running gloc r12 and r10.
Gbrownzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:34 PM   #3
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
For brake pads, these Ferodo DS 1.11 seem to be the best true hardcore track pad available. This is what I'm running F/R on my first weekend in my ZL1 1LE 3/30-3/31 at Buttonwillow, together with Motul RBF 660. I also installed SS brake lines from Essex.

https://www.essexparts.com/ferodo-fc...111-brake-pads
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:43 PM   #4
silverbullet415

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
For brake pads, these Ferodo DS 1.11 seem to be the best true hardcore track pad available. This is what I'm running F/R on my first weekend in my ZL1 1LE 3/30-3/31 at Buttonwillow, together with Motul RBF 660. I also installed SS brake lines from Essex.

https://www.essexparts.com/ferodo-fc...111-brake-pads
I run the same
silverbullet415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #5
Akirasoft

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 2015 X3 x35i M-Sport
Do you both trailer your car to/from the track? Ferodo doesn't recommend that pad on the street, assuming because you can't get them up to temp in street driving. If you do continue to drive your cars on the street, was has your experience been with those pads?
Akirasoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:36 AM   #6
silverbullet415

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirasoft View Post
Do you both trailer your car to/from the track? Ferodo doesn't recommend that pad on the street, assuming because you can't get them up to temp in street driving. If you do continue to drive your cars on the street, was has your experience been with those pads?
I trailer mine, I have driven with those pads on the street and I don’t think it’s a big deal. You will just wear them out faster
silverbullet415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:19 PM   #7
Liquidstone

i guess to be more specific. Is there a good Race/Street pad? Perhaps i just continue using the factory pads?
At this point i will not be trailering my vehicle to the track, however down the road it could be an option. Any help on rotors as well in term of at what thickness they need to be replaced.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:35 PM   #8
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidstone View Post
i guess to be more specific. Is there a good Race/Street pad? Perhaps i just continue using the factory pads?
At this point i will not be trailering my vehicle to the track, however down the road it could be an option. Any help on rotors as well in term of at what thickness they need to be replaced.
If Ferodo makes a DS2500 for ZL1, that's a great street/track pad I've used.

The factory pad will be fine for your first track day, but the downside is you'll wear them out fast, requiring you to buy new street pads, and depending on how hard you drive the car, they may overheat and fade.

Not sure about the rotor thickness, call Essex I bet they know.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:00 PM   #9
RSFR

Drives: ZL1
knsbrakes.com has a large selection of pads for the ZL1. I personally use Carbotech XP12 fronts and XP10 rears. I do drive with them on the street and they work fine (just loud and dusty).

The stock pads are good for quite a few track days at the novice level. I would just change the brake fluid to DOT4 (SRF or 660) and call it a day.
RSFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:14 PM   #10
Liquidstone

Quote:
knsbrakes.com has a large selection of pads for the ZL1. I personally use Carbotech XP12 fronts and XP10 rears. I do drive with them on the street and they work fine (just loud and dusty).

The stock pads are good for quite a few track days at the novice level. I would just change the brake fluid to DOT4 (SRF or 660) and call it a day.
Thanks for the advise I will definitely check that out. Really appreciate the feed back!
Old 03-16-2019, 10:42 PM   #11
tito_gsx

Drives: M3 / ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Hey guys hope your all well. As you can see this is my first post!
Never the less I am really excited to track my car for the first time this year.
April 19th will be street legal night at the drag strip, then April 22 will my first track day!
My mechanical skills are not too bad and fully intend to do my own breaks, oil and fluid changes as i have done with past vehicles.

My questions are as follows

How many track days can the factory pads last? and are there any pad that you guys recommend. ?

As far as the rotors are concern, besides visible damage from track use. at what Millimeter thickness do i replace the rotors?

Also if you guys have any tips for bleeding the breaks, im always open to new ways of doing things.
Congrats on your purchase. Hope to run into you at the track as we're both in Vancouver. I have my zl1 1le on order hopefully getting it in May. What tracks are you going to run?
tito_gsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:57 AM   #12
Liquidstone

Quote:
Congrats on your purchase. Hope to run into you at the track as we're both in Vancouver. I have my zl1 1le on order hopefully getting it in May. What tracks are you going to run?
Hey thanks! congrats to you as well. As of last year iv really enjoyed hitting up mission raceway Street Legal Night (drag racing) you can check out there schedule at there website. None the less its a great time. You get to do some passes meet some cool ppl and most importantly see some really nice cars. As far as track days. its through a local car club group called speedfanatics.ca They have track days all over. check it out, there is a chance i could run into you
Old 03-17-2019, 09:58 AM   #13
Liquidstone

first track day will be at the mission road course. Id like to go the Island motorsports, as well as area 27 this year.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:18 PM   #14
tito_gsx

Drives: M3 / ZL1 1LE
Quote:
first track day will be at the mission road course. Id like to go the Island motorsports, as well as area 27 this year.
Area 27 all the way! Mission is a waste of time imo. IM looks like a good track but much lower speeds. A27 is best suited to Zl1 capabilities
tito_gsx is offline   Reply With Quote