Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-08-2018, 08:52 PM   #1
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
GM dexos 2 - legitimate or BS?

I'm prepping for my first track day with the Camaro. My SS has 1900 miles and never had an oil change - the cluster Info screen is showing over 50% life remaining. But the manual says to change to either 0W-40 or 5W-40 before taking the car to the track, AND the oil must meet GM dexos 2 spec.

My first choice would have been the new Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP dexos 2 oil, but that's not available anywhere near me yet, so I got the alternative Valvoline 5W-40 MST synthetic dexos 2. I don't mind the Valvoline, never heard anything bad about it, and it is full synthetic so it's fine.

The problem is, I went to Walmart to get the Valvoline oil for $6.97/quart, and I notice that with a whole aisle full of different engine oils and all the top brands - Mobil 1, Castrol, Pennzoil - none of them were showing the blue dexos 2 symbol except the Valvoline! There were multiple choices for the green dexos 1 oil.

So I don't really get it. Why does GM specify dexos 2 when the choice of brands is so limited? I mean I'll use it to avoid any potential warranty issues, but would it really hurt anything if I used non-dexos 2 Mobil 1 oil?
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:59 PM   #2
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
im sure there are scientific reasons behind it but I run amsoil and I doing think it says anything about being demos approved.

GM can say the car requires demos, so companies like mobil one go through the process to make sure it meets the standards they set, but mainly pay to have the dexos label on their bottle.
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:12 PM   #3
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Dexos labeling is nothing more than a marketing scam to corner oil companies into paying them for the logo on their bottle. There are tons of oils that would exceed Dexos 2 standards but didn’t pay for the logo. That being said the Dexos 2 oils are obviously fine. But having the stamp doesn’t indicate superiority to non-stamped options.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:43 AM   #4
silverbullet415

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
I run amsoil 15w50 or Mobil one 15w50, I’ve sent them out to be analyzed after two track days with no issues with the oil or motor
silverbullet415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:45 AM   #5
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
One of the things that Dexos oils are supposed to offer is superior resistance to leaving deposits, which is a good thing in our DI engines.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:52 AM   #6
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
Its marketing BS and a way for GM to make a little money. However if you don't run Dexos2, you blow an engine and you aren't running Dexos2 GM likely wouldn't honor the warranty. Assuming GM does an oil analysis and figures it out.
2012 Audi S4
1992 Porsche America Roadster
1990 BMW 325Ic
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:04 AM   #7
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Dexos 2: ridiculously small price (or rather small inconvience) to pay for full on track warranty.

OP: congrats on your car! Note you are overdue for a first oil change suggested at 500 miles and offered free from GM Read up on the car manuals as other fluids are recommended to be changed before and after 1st track day. Also recommed you do a proper alignment lest you will murder your tires. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:38 AM   #8
wjones14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Dexos 2: ridiculously small price (or rather small inconvience) to pay for full on track warranty.

OP: congrats on your car! Note you are overdue for a first oil change suggested at 500 miles and offered free from GM Read up on the car manuals as other fluids are recommended to be changed before and after 1st track day. Also recommed you do a proper alignment lest you will murder your tires. Cheers!
Yes, agree that the dexos 2 requirement is more a inconvenience than anything else. One of the inconveniences is that dexos 2 doesn't seem to be available in 5 quart containers yet. My local Walmart had 6 quarts total of the Valvoline 5W-40 dexos 2, so I had to travel another 15 miles to the next closest store to pick up the other 4 quarts needed.

As far as reading up on the manuals - I thought I had! But I missed the suggestion of changing the oil at 500 miles. Can you point out the manual and page that suggestion comes from? Thanks!
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
Old 09-09-2018, 01:40 PM   #9
ninetres

Quote:

Where is the full on track warranty spelled out? And it says only applicable if running Dexos oil? Or are you speculating?
Old 09-09-2018, 02:13 PM   #10
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
Where is the full on track warranty spelled out? And it says only applicable if running Dexos oil? Or are you speculating?
I am reasonably assuming this based on what is stated in the Warranty doc (see pic). The full on track warranty is not spelled out per se, but the coverage is specifically stated as only void for racing and/or other competitive events. HPDE track events are not considered competitive events even by insurance coverage of most if not all organizers that run same. I am also yet to hear of a single case of GM refusing coverage for any of their high performance models due to on track component failure. As long as the vehicle is unmodded.

This goes for Vettes, Camaros, CTS Vs etc.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2018, 02:24 PM   #11
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
Yes, agree that the dexos 2 requirement is more a inconvenience than anything else. One of the inconveniences is that dexos 2 doesn't seem to be available in 5 quart containers yet. My local Walmart had 6 quarts total of the Valvoline 5W-40 dexos 2, so I had to travel another 15 miles to the next closest store to pick up the other 4 quarts needed.

As far as reading up on the manuals - I thought I had! But I missed the suggestion of changing the oil at 500 miles. Can you point out the manual and page that suggestion comes from? Thanks!
Main Owners Manual page 200 re Driving and Operating section. Plus HP Supplement. The 500mile oil change is specificed in Track Prep section in MyChevrolet.com under manuals. The latter is a good summary actually.
Cheers!
Old 09-09-2018, 06:32 PM   #12
wjones14

Quote:
Main Owners Manual page 200 re Driving and Operating section. Plus HP Supplement. The 500mile oil change is specificed in Track Prep section in MyChevrolet.com under manuals. The latter is a good summary actually.
Cheers!
Thanks for checking. I just double-checked both my owners manual and the HP supplement, and neither says anything about changing the oil at 500 miles. On page 200, it just says to use 0W-40 or 5W-40 dexos 2 for track events, but definitely doesn't mention changing it at 500 miles. Mine's a 2018, so maybe the manual (and recommendations) changed since 2017? I also checked mychevrolet.com and it shows the same manuals.

Anyway, it's water under the bridge now as I'm long past 500 miles. I did faithfully follow the break-in recommendations (painful as it was), and will change to the Valvoline oil before the track day, so as far as I'm concerned, I have followed all the recommendations for engine oil.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:53 PM   #13
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
Thanks for checking. I just double-checked both my owners manual and the HP supplement, and neither says anything about changing the oil at 500 miles. On page 200, it just says to use 0W-40 or 5W-40 dexos 2 for track events, but definitely doesn't mention changing it at 500 miles. Mine's a 2018, so maybe the manual (and recommendations) changed since 2017? I also checked mychevrolet.com and it shows the same manuals.

Anyway, it's water under the bridge now as I'm long past 500 miles. I did faithfully follow the break-in recommendations (painful as it was), and will change to the Valvoline oil before the track day, so as far as I'm concerned, I have followed all the recommendations for engine oil.
Agree: you're fine as far as official docs are concerned.
Mychevrolet.com defo says 500 miles as i checked it today. It is not in a main manual but a 3 page supplement on how to get the car track ready. Even main manuals are a bit of a dog's breakfast if you asked me...
Defo change diff fluid before and after your first track event as the sludge that comes out plus metal shavings captured on magnetic plugs are quite something. Main diff not an e diff unit above it. Ive also done tranny fluid after my first outing. Also note recommended track hrs for each. Cheers and have fun!
Old 09-09-2018, 11:30 PM   #14
ninetres

Quote:
I am reasonably assuming this based on what is stated in the Warranty doc (see pic). The full on track warranty is not spelled out per se, but the coverage is specifically stated as only void for racing and/or other competitive events. HPDE track events are not considered competitive events even by insurance coverage of most if not all organizers that run same. I am also yet to hear of a single case of GM refusing coverage for any of their high performance models due to on track component failure. As long as the vehicle is unmodded.

This goes for Vettes, Camaros, CTS Vs etc.
Gotcha. I didn’t think it spelled out track usage details, or a requirement to use Dexos. It just says proper fluids. The presence of an ink stamp on a bottle doesn’t have anything to do with a fluid being proper, only means someone paid GM. The oils specs are what would dictate it being proper.