Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-20-2020, 06:08 PM   #15
Jtmurillo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
That's what I was trying to explain. Everyone seems sure they are cats, but they make a bunch catless connection pipes that look identical to high flow cats, as shown above. They certainly could be cats but he won't know for certain until he looks inside.

TC, as for gaining loudness if they are high flow cats, it won't be much of an improvement if you delete for catless pipes - likely not enough to satisfy you if you like things loud. It is most likely the Magnaflows that are making things so quiet, especially if you have the type of MF exhaust that uses the resonated (muffled) X-pipe. Magnaflow makes different models of exhausts for our cars that range from barely louder than stock all the way to very loud.

A different exhaust can bring you more volume, and also as said above, a cam will bring the thunder. If they are cats, removing them can introduce a bit more rasp into the tone as well.
Shoot maybe I’ll do something like this and just be straight piped Name:  AF7CC080-A285-494F-B6C9-22CBAE67701D.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  62.7 KB
Jtmurillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:09 PM   #16
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
That will definitely be loud in shear volume, but you will lose that signature Magnaflow 'Deep' tone you like. With that exhaust and your longtubes, think 'NASCAR'. Magnaflow does a very good job of filtering out some of the nastier tones and rasp that other exhausts can deliver. Not saying that will be bad at all, but it will definitely be different than what you have now.

My best advice is to TAKE YOUR TIME and start listening to as many videos as you can until you find something you like. The problem is that bass doesn't translate well to video clips, so hearing this stuff in person is always best. Make sure that you are listening to Camaros with long tubes, but I figure you already know that. With the way our exhausts are designed I would recommend only listening to our cars specifically.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:17 PM   #17
Jtmurillo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
That will definitely be loud in shear volume, but you will lose that signature Magnaflow 'Deep' tone you like. With that exhaust and your longtubes, think 'NASCAR'. Magnaflow does a very good job of filtering out some of the nastier tones and rasp that other exhausts can deliver. Not saying that will be bad at all, but it will definitely be different than what you have now.

My best advice is to TAKE YOUR TIME and start listening to as many videos as you can until you find something you like. The problem is that bass doesn't translate well to video clips, so hearing this stuff in person is always best. Make sure that you are listening to Camaros with long tubes, but I figure you already know that. With the way our exhausts are designed I would recommend only listening to our cars specifically.
Good call on losing the deep tone. I definitely do not want to do that.
Jtmurillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:21 PM   #18
InFiD3ViL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtmurillo View Post
Good call on losing the deep tone. I definitely do not want to do that.
Not only that, but that model you showed is $708 for what is essentially an aftermarket muffler delete. You get the nice shiny tips and new pipes, but there are no resonators or mufflers on it. I don't think many of us could recommend that at that price point.

I know Magnaflow makes a very loud exhaust but we really need to figure out what model you currently have installed.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
Old 08-21-2020, 07:03 AM   #19
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
As far as the type of magna flow mufflers on there, I have no idea. I put those on like 5 years ago. I think I may see if the shop that put on my mufflers would either hollow out my cats or if they’d just replace them. I just hope that doesn’t get rid of the deep throaty sound it has now.
I would agree that you have about the loudest set up, short of open pipes. Of course, with open pipes you are going to get the raw sound of the engine, which will include some of the high, raspy notes you are wanting to avoid.

The other thought I will put out there, having grown up and lived the majority of my life in the South KC, Overland Park area, is that the low throaty sound the Magnaflows are providing is probably what is keeping you from having regular conversations with law enforcement in that area.

I know there are certain parts of O.P. that aren't real friendly about open pipe cars, and there is Leawood, which you would want to avoid all together. But, you probably already know that.

Sounds to me that you are at that point of compromise. It's the question of sound volume vs sound quality at this point.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:11 AM   #20
GAD

Drives: Silver 2014 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Not too stinky. I’m sure they’re HFC’s after seeing all these comments. Now the only problem is if I’m going to cut those bad boys out or not. I like the depth of my exhaust with the long tubes, x-pipe, and magna flow mufflers but I just want it to be a little louder. Is this the best option for that?
I’d just leave them on. My car has no cats and I smell like I’ve been riding a motorcycle when I get home from riding around or whatever. BUT I do ride with my windows down 100% of the time. My interior smells like exhaust, my clothes will smell like it, my wife won’t even ride with me unless I’m running e85. So that’s kind of a bonus.
2014 Silver 2SS L99 with Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LT Headers, Kooks Cat-less 3” exhaust, TS Stage 3.2 VVT CAM, Circle D 3200 Stall, E85 Kit, FIC 850cc injectors and Elite Engineering Catch Can. Dynoed at 478rwhp.
GAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:21 AM   #21
InFiD3ViL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAD View Post
I’d just leave them on. My car has no cats and I smell like I’ve been riding a motorcycle when I get home from riding around or whatever. BUT I do ride with my windows down 100% of the time. My interior smells like exhaust, my clothes will smell like it, my wife won’t even ride with me unless I’m running e85. So that’s kind of a bonus.
It crazy how it gets into your clothes and everything, even on short rides. God forbid I have to get something out of my trunk when the car is running.
Old 08-21-2020, 11:38 AM   #22
fireman1153

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Go to E-85. All that smell goes away. lol. I have a flex sensor and run both and it is crazy how much I notice the smell when running 93 now.
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - 416 stroker, F1A-94 procharger, BTR blower cam, Big Red race valve, AGP intercooler, Alky dual nozzle kit, ZL1 fuel pump with DSX Aux pump, DSX flex fuel sensor, Bosch 210 injectors, Mcleod RXT1200 clutch, MGW flat stick, Tick Performance Level 3 trans, DSS 3.5 aluminum driveshaft, Strange S60 rear, DSS 1400hp axles, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, X-pipe and MBRP muffler delete, BMR lowering springs, BMR trailing arms and toe rods, Poly motor mounts, RevShift trans mount instert, rear sub frame braces, Tuned by Joey at Pure Fabrication in Panama City, FL
fireman1153 is offline   Reply With Quote